2023/24 Premier League Football Season

stylesound

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 30, 2009
Kendal, Cumbria ,
AKA
Mike
I first started watching Man City in 1954 mainly as a result of Bert Trautman being my hero (prior to this I was a supporter of Oldham Athletic). To see the 5 trophies City have won this year lined up on the pitch prior to the start of today’s game against Sheffield United nearly brought a tear to my eye and nearly made up for all the crap that I have had to endure over the years. What a wonderful sight and probably never to be repeated again.

Reactions: garn63 and oldius

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well you really are not happy I find when you are right . City have seen Arsenal and Liverpool drop points and even though they are still not playing as they can they know they now just have to do what they do most years and they will cruise past their rivals . MAN UTD are still showing the lack of a real system of play and in some cases the work ethic that you need to be consistent . At times they are like the Liverpool teams of ten years ago able to get themselves up for the big games but then failing against the perceived lower quality sides were you have to match the fight to earn the right to play . This still means that them being a real competitive force is in the future and not now , how far in to the future is like how long is a piece of string . With the right management appointments and a real commitment it could be quicker than many think without that then it may well continue to lurch from good highs and real lows .

Liverpool will play Newcastle tomorrow and again I am not sure what to expect . Liverpool are still capable of scoring and scoring quickly and blowing teams away . But they are also wasteful of chances and getting themselves bogged down by massed defences . Newcastle have probably been the team most hit by injury and player loss , added in to that the greater call on the same players for important games twice a week and it is easy to see why they are were they are . They will now start to recover and players will regain energy with the much lower game times . I see this as yet another banana skin for Liverpool with them struggling to score , an early goal would help but it is far more difficult than it should be .

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A strange game at the Villa yesterday. We are vulnerable at the back occasionally but even more so when players are forced to adapt to new positions.
We will always pose a threat but need our first 11 fit to go toe to toe with those that have more experienced squads.
Grateful for the 3 points and look forward to Torres, Kamara, and Tielemens getting back on the park. We were looking pretty formidable until their omissions.
Top 4. We have a chance, but it's a funny old game. Villa are heading in the right direction. :)
UTV

Reactions: AnilS and bencat

Devil

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 12, 2014
Lymington
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So I see plan A failed again, really poor performance and quality from the Arse yesterday, Fulham played really well, and I suspect the plan has been well and truly sussed by the oppositions now..

Reactions: greybeard

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well you really are not happy I find when you are right . City have seen Arsenal and Liverpool drop points and even though they are still not playing as they can they know they now just have to do what they do most years and they will cruise past their rivals . MAN UTD are still showing the lack of a real system of play and in some cases the work ethic that you need to be consistent . At times they are like the Liverpool teams of ten years ago able to get themselves up for the big games but then failing against the perceived lower quality sides were you have to match the fight to earn the right to play . This still means that them being a real competitive force is in the future and not now , how far in to the future is like how long is a piece of string . With the right management appointments and a real commitment it could be quicker than many think without that then it may well continue to lurch from good highs and real lows .

Liverpool will play Newcastle tomorrow and again I am not sure what to expect . Liverpool are still capable of scoring and scoring quickly and blowing teams away . But they are also wasteful of chances and getting themselves bogged down by massed defences . Newcastle have probably been the team most hit by injury and player loss , added in to that the greater call on the same players for important games twice a week and it is easy to see why they are were they are . They will now start to recover and players will regain energy with the much lower game times . I see this as yet another banana skin for Liverpool with them struggling to score , an early goal would help but it is far more difficult than it should be .
Newcastle are not in good form at all, even losing at home last match. Their away form is abysmal.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So I see plan A failed again, really poor performance and quality from the Arse yesterday, Fulham played really well, and I suspect the plan has been well and truly sussed by the oppositions now..
Fulham played well but Arsenal's finishing was poor.

Reactions: Devil

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When we played them Man UTD were showing similar poor form and changed there play to one of defending deep and just stopping Liverpool attacking . That worked well and if they were a bit better going forward we could have lost that game . I have a very strong suspicion that Newcastle will do the same and try to bully Liverpool so not likely to be that entertaining .
Newcastle are not in good form at all, even losing at home last match. Their away form is abysmal.

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Worst performance of the season yesterday, at Fulham, who played well and fully deserved their victory. As has already been said Plan A has been sussed, and we do not have a plan B.
Mine and I suspect most Gooners New years eve was ruined by this spineless performance, it has taken me 36 hrs to be able to bring myself to write about it.
Too many players are off form at the moment, Saka is showing signs of burnout, Martinelli seems to have forgotten when to release the ball, and for all his effort, Odegard cannot seem to find a defence splitting ball. Even the defence is starting to wobble, and that has been our strong point this season.
I have a ticket for the FA cup game against Liverpool next Sunday, I think it is going to be a hard watch for the home fans, unless we can find some form and confidence.
COYG!

Reactions: deggie and Devil

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When we played them Man UTD were showing similar poor form and changed there play to one of defending deep and just stopping Liverpool attacking . That worked well and if they were a bit better going forward we could have lost that game . I have a very strong suspicion that Newcastle will do the same and try to bully Liverpool so not likely to be that entertaining .
So 4-2, Newcastle's away form continues. Was it entertaining?

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Last night was a surprise Liverpool played some of the best football this set of players have ever produced . Score could have been much more for both sides . Very disappointed with Jota and his obvious dive for a penalty just so not needed . Another poor performance from the ref and VAR on a night when most of the fans were wet and cold the delays and mistakes were very hard to take . Newcastle played well but it was very clear what they were trying to do .

• Upvote
Reactions: AnilS

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Right after a decent shower and at least two large mugs of tea I feel in better frame of mind to comment on Liverpool last night . I have to say that I do not like Eddie Howe teams they are often time wasting and deal in tactical fouls and worse fouls . Current Newcastle are a big side and were obviously out to bully Liverpool . Bad choice this is the best display I have seen this season and that includes giving away two sloppy goals . Then you look at the forward display and a huge smile breaks out . Liverpool cut through Newcastle at times like they were running and working at a different speed . Liverpool were all energy and high press harrying defenders , goal keeper and midfielders constantly . Then when they took the ball away it was head up and how can we get forward . Newcastle keeper was their best player by some margin and prevented Liverpool from making this the high score it should have been . Mo has bowed out with the gift of our best game this season , good luck in Africa Cup of Nations Mo .

Liverpool man of the match for me was Joe Gomez , at the start of this season with a career blighted by injury little was expected from him and there was talk that this could be the start of the end of his Liverpool career . Well to his immense credit Joe was not having any of that he has played Centre Half , Right Back and Left Back and just been excellent in all of those positions . Given the recent injuries to our established left backs his performances have been good defensively and really good going forward . He is being asked to be brave and he has followed those instructions to the letter . Curtis Jones also deserves a mention lots of Liverpool fans do not rate Curtis but his work rate keeping the ball moving and getting in the box and finishing are there for all to see and in my view he is a definite on the first team sheet when he is fit . Football is fickle and I still feel City will start to grind up the gears and start their normal long run of wins which as in the past will see them just over take Liverpool . But with performances like this we have hope and sometimes that is the best gift you can get .

Reactions: AnilS

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thought Liverpool looked tasty last night Ben. Maybe the obsession with winning the league can lead to disappointment some times ? ;)
Football seems to be changing at such a fast rate there is very little between sides these days. It's fatigue in the modern game & the expense of having a large squad that often prevents consistency.
Think it will be very close and perhaps fewer points needed to win the league this year.
Arteta's Arsenal are tidy and methodical but maybe need a fresh approach to some games. The team seemed to have more vibrancy with Ramsdale in it. I like goalies with a personality.
It's City/Liverpool for me but football is full of surprises & that's what I love about it. City need to be kept on their toes. 😄
UTV.
* That young lad at Chelsea. Oooph.

Last edited:

oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
It is difficult to know what to say about VAR when an incident like Jota's goes uncorrected. I would be surprised if any supporter, of any club including his own, did not think that was a clear dive and, therefore, a clear and obvious error. I have only seen the videos of the incident, and I am not aware of the thoughts of any pundits or referees. I did not watch the game. I spoke to a Newcastle supporting friend and he said that there were several questionable incidents, again, but that Liverpool were much better. I am sick of reflecting, game after game, on refereeing incidents.

AnilS

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 16, 2005
Bromsgrove, Worcs
AKA
Anil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The officiating in the Liverpool match was shocking.

An ominous and appreciative sight was KDB warming up for City.

I expect City will start their push now.

oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
It gets the big build up, and he is an awesome player, but KDB takes several games to get started - at least 5 or 6 - and Foden continues to play extremely well in the KDB role. It may surprise many, but I think the continued absence of John Stones is a bigger issue for the team. Nobody else in the league, and possibly in the European game, can do what he does, as effectively as he does, and he knits together the midfield and defence, allowing the attacking players to flourish; he has had a terribly disappointing campaign, through no fault of his own. I believe that Doku is ready to return, and Haaland shortly, but I am more excited by the continued emergence of Oscar Bobb, who I have followed since his early Academy days. I believe him to be a bigger talent than Cole Palmer - time will tell.

BTW, on another forum, the defence of Jota continues with the belief that he didn't dive, so my assumption of no football fan defending him was wrong. I don't especially blame the player, and I am not singling him out, but referees and VAR between them should not be letting this happen.

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I want to be clear on my view of the Jota incident both my view at the time and after watching the video much later . What I still feel is that Jota dived and did not need to physically . What I do not dispute is that this was a penalty pure and simple Jota was travelling at pace and there was contact for sure which put him off balance . Jota then had to decide would recover his balance in time and get to the ball and score . He decided he would not and we have real evidence that if you do not go down then the Ref will not make any decision . Not Jotas fault this but the fault of officials in general so want an easy way out . This Ref had spent all game giving wrong decisions against Liverpool to prove he would not be swayed by a noisy crowd , which made the chance he would make any decision on a penalty unlikely unless forced . So Jota let the off balance motion take him down and in my view a dive . I think it was essential for the penalty and I dislike it when any player including Liverpool players do it . I will continue to be as honest as I can about what I see and think . But that was a very clear penalty which if he had stayed on his feet he would never have been awarded just like Jolinton would have been booked if play had not been allowed to carry on and then should have been booked when the went out of play again poor decision . Jota and other players are forced to dive and make a meal of it because if they do not and attempt to play on they will not get the decision . Until this changes and it could very easily give the penalty and have it checked . In this case as there was contact and enough contact to make the player off balance the on field decision was not a clear and obvious error so should have been and was upheld . What Jota did after was not relevant so it was still a penalty if I like it or not . Oh and a small point we did not edge a win against Newcastle because of a penalty we battered them and recorded the highest XG recorded ever . Liverpool won this game fair and square and did it seven scored goals would not have been a surprise .

savvypaul

NVA Hi-Fi
HiFi Trade
Jan 11, 2017
Durham Uk
nvahifi.co.uk
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I thought Jota was clipped by the keeper, and I couldn't see why he wouldn't have just rolled the ball into the net, otherwise. VAR showed contact, and the referee had already decided that the contact was 'with consequence', so there is no reason to overturn the referee's decision. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.

I thought the ref had a good game, and implemented the laws of the game accurately. Liverpool (players, manager, staff and fans) still spent most of the game whinging, though.

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Another tale of two halves for Liverpool in the league cup . Not really working as a group in the first half all huff and puff but No real cutting edge . Fulham came with the same plan as the PL game and it worked . Great high energy pressing and then just take your chances . Poor work by Virgil but still lots to do and Willian really made his own luck nice goal . Change of formation for second half with Liverpool really playing in one half , high risk and they were caught more than once with counter attacks . Rode there luck and then the changes made have more speed and penetration to our attack . Lucky deflected goal and the I just knew another was coming . Great work by Nunez and the sweetest pass for Cody to apply a very smart finish . Should really have gone on and scored again but just could not manage it . Leaves the tie nicely poised for the return leg . You just know Klopp is not going to sit on the lead and we will be vulnerable to their counter I can see it being the same score .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles