£300 budget - CDP upgrade or DAC?

bullinachinashop

Wammer
Wammer
May 11, 2022
Milton Keynes
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've been offered a Cairn Fog 2 for £280, lots of good reviews online so got me thinking about upgrading my current CDP, a Rotel RCD 965 Discrete

2 questions:

1. Any other CDPs for £300 to consider? Or

2. My Rotel has a coaxial output, so I think I can use it as transport? Meaning I could get a DAC instead, which should also improve my streaming experience as I currently use the inbuilt DAC in my Chromecast Audio. Streaming is probably 50% of my listening

So a DAC seems like a better way to spend the money? And if so, any DAC recommendations please?? Ideally with a decent PSU built in as running out of space for boxes!

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've been offered a Cairn Fog 2 for £280, lots of good reviews online so got me thinking about upgrading my current CDP, a Rotel RCD 965 Discrete

2 questions:

1. Any other CDPs for £300 to consider? Or

2. My Rotel has a coaxial output, so I think I can use it as transport? Meaning I could get a DAC instead, which should also improve my streaming experience as I currently use the inbuilt DAC in my Chromecast Audio. Streaming is probably 50% of my listening

So a DAC seems like a better way to spend the money? And if so, any DAC recommendations please?? Ideally with a decent PSU built in as running out of space for boxes!
Borrow the Perpetual nd see what you think. It's very good!

Reactions: bullinachinashop

Andrei

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 28, 2013
Napier
AKA
Andrei
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would be inclined to go for the DAC option (unless the Rotel is very old). There seem to be some wonderful options if you are prepared to support the Chinese economy. I would be flabbergasted if any DAC these days did not have a coax input.

While you are at it you can do a few things to tweak your transport. First, check the player is as horizontal as you can get it. Very minor. Second, clean the contacts with a cleaner such as Caig's - also minor. Third, purchase or make your own aftermarket feet. There is a lot of overpriced stuff out there but just some sorbothane footers will help. Fourth, get some dynamat. It is a proprietary butyl that is used for vibration and noise reduction in vehicles. I use it in my CD player and in my turntables. Put it on places that are not visible. This includes the inside of the chassis and even on the drive unit.

• Thanks

simon g

Senior Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2006
Lincolnshire Coast
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Proceed with care. You already have a very good player; a bit of a classic. If you just fancy a change, then fair enough but you may just get different rather than better.

You'll certainly improve your streaming sound quality with a decent DAC. For your budget I'd be after a Rega DAC. All the functionality you need with an inbuilt psu (no nasty wall warts) plus a great sound.

In this way you would improve your streaming plus have the option of playing CDs through the DAC, or not if doing so was not an improvement on the Rotel's analogue output.

Andrei

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 28, 2013
Napier
AKA
Andrei
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Proceed with care. You already have a very good player; a bit of a classic. If you just fancy a change, then fair enough but you may just get different rather than better.

You'll certainly improve your streaming sound quality with a decent DAC. For your budget I'd be after a Rega DAC. All the functionality you need with an inbuilt psu (no nasty wall warts) plus a great sound.

In this way you would improve your streaming plus have the option of playing CDs through the DAC, or not if doing so was not an improvement on the Rotel's analogue output.
This. And try and increase your budget to avoid just getting something different.

Reactions: Wenge1 and bigrod

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would go for a DAC but increase the budget, a bit.

That SMSL, looks good value but you can buy it new on Amazon for £391. The eBay seller does not have the highest rating, I would be careful.

The problem with Chihifi, is there are so many different models now, it is a bit confusing, one of the SMSL Dacs, does get rave reviews but it is around £670.

Last edited:

bullinachinashop

Wammer
Wammer
May 11, 2022
Milton Keynes
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would go for a DAC but increase the budget, a bit.

That SMSL, looks good value but you can buy it new on Amazon for £391. The eBay seller does not have the highest rating, I would be careful.

The problem with Chihifi, is there are so many different models now, it is a bit confusing, one of the SMSL Dacs, does get rave reviews but it is around £670.
Yes I would be nervous about spending that sort of money on these Brands, where I've heard that there are fakes/copies floating around.
Probably ill founded but it puts me off

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes I would be nervous about spending that sort of money on these Brands, where I've heard that there are fakes/copies floating around.
Probably ill founded but it puts me off
I would probably buy new from the manufacturer on Amazon but check the returns and warranty situation or used from a known seller.

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For around £35 (inc mini toslink to toslink cable) you could give your CCA a good SQ uplift. Just grab yourself a FiiO Taishan matchbox dac, I'm using one at the moment in my 2nd system.
Since getting it I've also added a Chfi 5v LPS which powers both the FiiO & CCA via a 5.5/2.5 to usb adapter and 2:1 usb port. This combo is stupidly good for the £105 all in, that I payed.

bullinachinashop

Wammer
Wammer
May 11, 2022
Milton Keynes
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for all the great advice an offers to lend this to try! Amazing forum is this!!

The urge to spend is strong, there's a M2tech young DAC with external PSU in the classifieds and in budget, can anyone recommend that as a decent upgrade for the time being?

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just get the Perpetual pair first and see what happens and how they sound . Once you have lived with that for a while you can then use that as your benchmark to compare with . There is always another used DAC that comes up for sale so trust me get to hear things first and live with the new sound before you make any purchases .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online