falcoron

anyone using EML 300b tubes?

These Emmission lab 300b tubes are supposed to be very good, been reading up on valves lately just for the hell of it, but as usual there are lots of different views, as always! A lot say these are supurb quality with nice thick glass, proper mesh plates, not mocked up mesh like some Chinese copies and supposed to be very quiet in operation,

( thats probably amp dependant too though) then some say these have been very unreliable? any users or thoughts on these? Not Looking to buy ( unless someone has a nice cheap pair for sale) just always wondered if as good as the hype. Huge valves to compared to the standard fair and come in Std, mesh and XLS versions.

cheers

EML 300BXLS

Wonderful midrange and top end, but probably as much to do with amplifier and output transformers. Bass is not very tight due to speakers.

Have recently acquired a more powerful KT88 in Triode mode amp (same make) as I love my speakers and the cost of good speakers that can deal properly with flea-powered amps in crazy and I don't want big horn speakers in my house.

EML 300BXLS

Wonderful midrange and top end, but probably as much to do with amplifier and output transformers. Bass is not very tight due to speakers.

Have recently acquired a more powerful KT88 in Triode mode amp (same make) as I love my speakers and the cost of good speakers that can deal properly with flea-powered amps in crazy and I don't want big horn speakers in my house.

Thanks for reply mate. so do you have a pair for sale seeing your changing the amp to a kt88?

Thanks for reply mate. so do you have a pair for sale seeing your changing the amp to a kt88?

No, unless you want the amp as well.

No one is going to be selling 300BXLS second hand. They last for years and I believe the KR and EML are made in the same factory and there is very little difference, so once you have a pair you're not going to have to change them.

Super Wammer

I have a pair of KRs that I alternate with WEs

Very good tubes but find I use the WEs more as possibly better suited to my taste in chamber jazz

I have a pair of KRs that I alternate with WEs

Very good tubes but find I use the WEs more as possibly better suited to my taste in chamber jazz

Now that's just showing off! ;)

Had a pair of xls in my J Sound Labs Ron, very nice, sold to Jazid. He has WE, EML, had Sophia carbon plates ( I now have ) and others so in a good position to evaluate. He has my black treasures at the moment and seems to like them. I fancy trying takatsuki but the cost us holding me back and the carbon plates are keeping me smiling right now.

How do the carbons compare to the emissions? Fancied trying the Sophia tubes but a lot of mixed owners reviews and a few had reliability issues. Suppose I'm going to get that with anything I read about. Black treasures are they psvane?

also do the eml XL tubes make the presentation more forward? Have read they sound a lot different than the std eml 300b

Hi Ron,

can't speak for the standard EML toobs but no, the xls do not have that effect in my amp. The black treasures are more forward, and a smidge more midrangey, but they are also punchy. So saying they seem to be changing all the time, low hours on them, so I'm not sure I'm in a position to properly judge as yet. Maybe by the time Paul wants them back they will have settled down...

The black treasures look good in the amp - and (trivial person that I am) I was not expecting that. Although their glow is near invisible they have the fluorescence about the shoulder that WE tubes are known for.

EML are like the AVVT tubes I also have, beefy, fabulously put together, and with the 'new' 300b sound ie less rolloff, big soundstage, and chunky dynamics. All in my amp's circuit, my system, my ears of course, and remember that in the same set up JJ 300b tubes sound fab to me as well.

I have XLSs and compared to the TJs find them more 'modern'. By that I mean the TJs sound classic 300B smooth, reasonably detailed, flowing and very natural whereas the XLSs are more taut, have much tighter bass, extended high frequency and sound much faster whilst retaining the traditional type of triode sound. The XLs is a much better made valve with thicker glass better built and it looks lovely but not as pretty as the rectifier which glows nicely. But just look at the cost for a matched pair....

I have a pair of XLS on my Allnic T1500. They replace the standard EH. The only thing I can say is that they far better in my system than the EH. Obviously more powerful with a better extension.

A friend of mines is a huge fan of the other EML (Mesh I think) and we are supposed to make some serious listenings soon.

Don't forget the EML 300B, EML 300B mesh and 300BXLS are not strictly compatible with a normal 300B circuit as they all draw more filament current than the original 300B tube design. If your amplifier cannot satisfy the extra filament current draw then you won't get anywhere near the real performance of these tubes and you may well damage your amplifiers mains transformer. Remember a 300B needs 5 volts (1.2 amps) on the filament to perform at its best which is what most amplifiers are designed around. The EML tubes will need the same voltage but at the higher current rating.

EML 300B - 5v @ 1.3 amps

EML 300B Mesh - 5v @1.4 amps

EML 300B XLS - 5 volts @ 1.5 amps

EML 320B - 5 volts @ 1.7 amps

Don't forget the EML 300B, EML 300B mesh and 300BXLS are not strictly compatible with a normal 300B circuit as they all draw more filament current than the original 300B tube design. If your amplifier cannot satisfy the extra filament current draw then you won't get anywhere near the real performance of these tubes and you may well damage your amplifiers mains transformer. Remember a 300B needs 5 volts (1.2 amps) on the filament to perform at its best which is what most amplifiers are designed around. The EML tubes will need the same voltage but at the higher current rating.

EML 300B - 5v @ 1.3 amps

EML 300B Mesh - 5v @1.4 amps

EML 300B XLS - 5 volts @ 1.5 amps

EML 320B - 5 volts @ 1.7 amps

Thanks Graham, was just reading that on the EML web pages and have sent the info onto the party that is doing an upgrade on my amp, so will check if indeed compatible, my trannies were over specced but I'm not sure what the spec is. l

i have a data sheet somewhere on that which i need to dig out.

Thanks again.