JamPal

The old guard v the newbs.

Super Wammer

Great OP, James, and timely. I was going to make a few observations but as I read the thread, the things had already been said, perhaps unsurprisingly. So being a bit if a lazy git, I'll just quote them instead !

......... I have generally avoided the more contentious areas of the forum because if I wanted to be reminded what life was like back in infants school, I could just watch pmqs.

.............I have no hesitation in saying that I've drawn more deeply from the Wam's Well of Wisdom than I've contributed to it. That's because I am much less knowledgeable than most people who are generous with their extensive experience. I am happy where I am, if I can contribute then I do and if I can't I shut up. I'll occasionally enjoy some light hearted exchanges on less serious matters. I don't though plaster just about every new thread with a comment just to let people know I'm here. That piece of behaviour I don't understand but it suits others and I don't object to their doing it. It's comical to observe though.

I find myself writing out a post, and quite often after reading it back, decide not to post. Maybe a self regulated "if you can't say anything nice....."

.........It is a great community but I do find myself ignoring a lot of threads due to unnecessary arguments.......

Looking forward to a great weekend at Scalford,

k

As a fairly new convert to the Church of The Wam I didn't realise that my first post was going to cause such a stink. Yes, now I know I shouldn't have mentioned cables - but I did and I got shat upon from a great height, even being called a troll by one or two of you. I nearly gave up at that point but noticed that some of you out there weren't that bad, and I was even defended by some of you as well (a belated thanks for helping me out there). The result is that I'm still here.

I went to my first Scalford last year (alas, can't make this year) and thoroughly enjoyed it. I've met a few of you since (bought Hoops' Goodmans and dicy's EE Minimax dac - both still being enjoyed, plus a little QED dac which a mate now has). I pointed the way to a work colleague who has since bought a TT off one of you.

I'll be hanging around for a while yet and will still post the odd thread looking for knowledge and help - both of which the Wam has in abundance. I fully intend to hold a bake-off when I get the house sorted (or even attend one if not too far), but must admit that I do find the idea daunting, to say the least. Still, nothing ventured, etc.

Oh....and I like Chumpy! And Serge!! Only one of which I understand ;-)

A Happy Scalford to you all this weekend.

I see I've been a member of this forum for eight years but I certainly wouldn't say I am part of the 'old-guard'.

Though I guess that's not surprising considering my low post count.

Stupid cloak of invisibility! Work damn you wor....

I see I've been a member of this forum for eight years but I certainly wouldn't say I am part of the 'old-guard'.

Though I guess that's not surprising considering my low post count.

I would say you were one of the old guard.

Quality flouncing to be encouraged though please, as long as they return the day after.

Newbs are fine, lovely in fact.

But there's nothing wrong with occasionally pricking the balloon of the small number self-regarding, sanctimonius tryhards who revel in their persecution complex, all leading to a massive sense of humour failure. After all, it's what makes the Wam great :D

Jolly fine post. Reminded me of my time with silver cables, cables with boxes full of glue in the middle, little spikey things, black tac, Linn decks (no, that was a lie too far), etc etc.

Also reminded me tht 10 years ago, on HFC, I was given advice by Jerry, which I took, and STILL use the same Hitachi cables to this day (as toilet handles, where they do a good job, tied in a certain, knotty kind of way).

Ah the folly of youth.

Where's me bath chair?

Oh fuck of you stupid newbie.:P

It is not yet time. Fuck 3 posts already :(

I've been a member for for longer than I care to remember.

I rarely post because it's all a little cliquey for me with a distinct "Wam approved" sheep and shepherd kind of feel.

That doesn't make anyone bad or the place distasteful. It's majority rule surely? Those who shout loudest etc? I've never been one to follow the herd. There's some good stuff here though if you look hard enough - and some very nice people.

I find it a little intimidating at times.

There are some things us newbies will always do :-

- we will ask questions which have been answered many times before

- we will have bought equipment which is now considered sub-standard by the wiser more experienced souls

- we will have overpaid for things, and not found that hifi bargain in a local skip

I guess we are all on a journey, some of us closer to the start than the end.