The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

orangeart

DIY rooms

It's DIY stuff I'm most interested in, so lets have a lost of what you've got and where you are.

I'm in 236 with some (almost finished) speakers that mostly radiate into 2pi space

Syndicate Room 20.

DIY omnidirectional loudspeaker compared with same driver and enclosure as normal forward-facing loudspeaker. Demo will be mostly mono.

S

does diy count when someone else done it :dunno:

:D

Yeah, so long as it was conceived without the backing of an audio brand, I think it qualifies

- - - Updated - - -

Syndicate Room 20.

DIY omnidirectional loudspeaker compared with same driver and enclosure as normal forward-facing loudspeaker. Demo will be mostly mono.

S

That sounds good Serve, care to expand a bit more, or point to a thread you wrote about it?

Yeah, so long as it was conceived without the backing of an audio brand, I think it qualifies

- - - Updated - - -

That sounds good Serve, care to expand a bit more, or point to a thread you wrote about it?

I haven't written anything about this yet.

It came about because of various discussions on here about room effects, the effects of early reflections and loudspeaker dispersion. My main loudspeakers, (B&W 801) are normal forward-facing, but with pretty wide dispersion and low diffraction due to the way the tweeters are mounted on pods on top of the midrange pods, which are mounted on the bass bins. I haven't measured dispersion, but expect it to be pretty wide.

Furthermore, my 'speakers are over a metre from any wall, so I sit pretty much in the near-field and early reflections arrive considerably later than than the direct sound.

I wanted to try a loudspeaker that was completely omnidirectional on the horizontal plane, and could be sited close to walls, or in a corner to hear what the effect this would have on stereo imaging. It then occured that I could do a comparison between the omni dispersion and normal front-facing, albeit in mono.

What I hope to do at Scalford is play around with the omnis as a stereo pair and compare omni with front-facing.

The loudspeakers are single driver, nominally full range, in a sealed (infinite baffle) enclosure of cylindrical form, much like the Wharfedale concrete column loudspeakers of the 1960s. As such, their frequency response isn't flat as I've left them au naturel rather than mess around with equalisers.

I'm currently using them as rear loudspeakers for Quadraphonics.

S

Syndicate 2 (1st floor) - wonderous DIY speakers by Matt / fatmarley --- I just hope he finishes them in time! :upgrade::D

-- I'm supplying most of the system's front end(s) :)

Close as I get in 203 is a DIY 401 plinth and World Designs kit amplification.

Super Wammer

LS35a clones in 204 & a passive pre amp .

Super Wammer

Come to Room 211 and "hear" my home-brewed interconnects.......!

k

Room 220 - AOS Studio 12xl mid and tweeter units (Scanspeak Revelators) on top of 12" Peerless XLS bass units. Neither made by me - first is a German unit available as a kit, second was made by Richard Best of Ilkley.

Room 220 - AOS Studio 12xl mid and tweeter units (Scanspeak Revelators) on top of 12" Peerless XLS bass units. Neither made by me - first is a German unit available as a kit, second was made by Richard Best of Ilkley.

Looks a bit tasty!

That's what I call a flat frequency response (on axis at least) - LINK

Looks a bit tasty!

That's what I call a flat frequency response (on axis at least) - LINK

The treble response is good, excellent even, the mid/low frequency response is not bad, but don't forget the graph has 10dB per division! It would look rather different with 1dB divisions.

S

The treble response is good, excellent even, the mid/low frequency response is not bad, but don't forget the graph has 10dB per division! It would look rather different with 1dB divisions.

S

Oh yea. Thought it was 5dB. Still looks pretty good though.