take5

Finding your way around scalford - a guide

I wrote this last year and many folks found it useful. So, here it is again.

------------------------------------------------------

This year will be my 7th visit to the Scalford show ( 5 as exhibitor, 2 as visitor), and I feel that I know the place well, and can find my way around easily.

But I remember my first couple of visits, when I couldnt find rooms that I was looking for etc etc, and I seemed to spend half my time looking at maps and asking Staff for help. I missed rooms I was hoping to see, and ran out of time too, because of time wasted whilst I was lost. It can feel like a maze to begin with, but it is really very simple, once you know the simple layout.

So, I thought I would jot a few thoughts down, in the hope that it can help anyone who is new to the place.

I think the first thing to get your head around (and it helps if you do), is that the hotel

is split into two distinct and separate parts.

1) The old/original hotel

2) The modern extension at the back.

Treat these as two separate parts, both to be explored and it will help your thinking/planning.

OLD PART

So, you walk in the front door, into the reception area.

Pretty much the first thing you will see is the Wammers reception. Here you will pay or register , get your map etc etc. It will be manned by Wam volunteers. Be gentle with them. It isn’t their fault, whatever your complaint.

To your left is the Bar and you will see various trade stalls in this area.

There are two exhibitor rooms here. COLMAN and BELVOIR rooms.

There are also the stairs up to the first floor, where the majority of rooms are in this part of the hotel.

As you come up the stairs, it is shown as a lounge on the floor plan. All rooms are off this lounge.

Something to be aware of here. Just as you get to the top of these stairs, there is a door on the right. This is the access to MANY exhibitor rooms. and will likely be closed.

Find this door!!!! (it is next to a toilet)

Go through here for Simpson and syndicate rooms, as well as the 2nd floor rooms. Much to see and hear through here.

HOW TO GET FROM OLD PART OF HOTEL TO NEW PART.

THERE IS ONLY 1 WAY !!!

So, back to main entrance. As you come in from the Car park, turn first right into a corridor.

As you go down this corridor, there is only one exhibitor room down here

(Private Dining Room - Not to be missed, with Paul/Pmacs fantastic system.)

At the end of the corridor, there is a door on the left out into a little courtyard.

THIS LITTLE DOOR IS THE "SCALFORD SECRET"

It is the door you want !!!! It is the answer to all of your navigational problems.

As you come out of this door, cross the little courtyard to the door almost opposite. This is the start of the 2nd section of the hotel.

Just inside this door the RUTLAND room is on the right, with the GUN ROOM on the left.

Thereafter, I think the best way to think of this building is just one long corridor in an L shape, with rooms off it, on either side.

This is duplicated on the floor above, which is accessed via stairs at the start of the corridor, half way along and at the far end. One way to approach this section is to walk the length of the corridor, popping into whichever room takes your fancy, then upstairs and do that corridor in the opposite direction. Or, do the upstairs first, ending up on the ground floor rooms.

So, to summarise.

1) Think of it as a 2 venue show. Do one at a time. USE THE CORRIDOR AND SECRET DOOR.

2) You MUST use/have a floor plan. Follow it and you cant go wrong.

3) From a time point of view, it will be very difficult to visit every room. You may want to pre plan and highlight the 10 or 20 or 30 or whatever that you would really like to see, and do those first.

Those clever with maps will see 2 potential routes from the old part to to the new part, without going outside.

1) Aha, they say. If we go through the Butlers Pantry, then through the Gun Room , we get to the new part.

FORGET IT !! This happened the first couple of years. But was a real pain and a distraction for the exhibitor in the Gun room. Nowadays, that door is locked/blocked off.

2) Go down the corridor between the Butlers Pantry and Belvoire room, then out the door and turn right. Forget this. This door is a fire door and is usually locked. Try it, but it is far easier and less confusing to just think of only one way.

Apart from going out the main entrance and walking around the building, there is only one way........ SECRET CORRIDOR and DOOR.

I hope this little guide is helpful to some folks.

I hope you all have a great day and come back next year full of confidence that you know your way around

2) Go down the corridor between the Butlers Pantry and Belvoire room, then out the door and turn right. Forget this. This door is a fire door and is usually locked. Try it, but it is far easier and less confusing to just think of only one way.

Need to correct you on this one, as it is one of the valid ways, as that door has always been unlocked past the water fountain (even in the early hours of Sunday morning), which many people used as well as the courtyard.

Both options are valid, but the courtyard is still easier

Anyway I will be sticking up lots of arrows all over the place indicating all valid routes, like last year.

P.S. a secret code will need to be spoken to use the secret door as I plan to have Penance controlling it :P

Super Wammer

This will be my 6th year, and second as an exhibitor. And yes the Secret corridor and door are a vital part of the show.

Excellent stuff Brian, as a punter this year (and having got lost several times in the past when venturing out side my own room) I find this excellent!

The password for the secret door is 'Mellon'

If you don't use it one of the Wigwam trolls will get you.

Need to correct you on this one, as it is one of the valid ways, as that door has always been unlocked past the water fountain

Lionel, I have found that door locked in the past.

Possibly when someone has pulled it closed behind them. I havent even tried it the last few years, as it felt a waste of time.

But if it is supposed to be left open then great. Those who can find it can always try that route.

But yes, to avoid confusion, I think the corridor/secret door/courtyard is much the easiest route for newcomers to use.

Just to be really annoyingly pedantic - there is a third way :D

Through the Butler's Pantry into the Gun Room by way of the connecting door, then out of the Gun Room into the new wing :^

Through the Butler's Pantry into the Gun Room by way of the connecting door, then out of the Gun Room into the new wing :^

Jim, that does not work and has not worked since the 2nd year, the door from the Butlers Pantry is locked otherwise the Gun Room exhibitor may as well be in a corridor.

see This paragraph in the OP

Those clever with maps will see 2 potential routes from the old part to to the new part, without going outside.

1) Aha, they say. If we go through the Butlers Pantry, then through the Gun Room , we get to the new part.

FORGET IT !! This happened the first couple of years. But was a real pain and a distraction for the exhibitor in the Gun room. Nowadays, that door is locked/blocked off.

Jim, I love a bit of Pedantic, so dont worry.

But have a look in my first post, where I did say that your suggestion used to happen.

But the exhibitors in that room got pissed of with folks using the Gun Room as a shortcut. So, it hasnt been possible for the last few years.

You can try it if you want, but do you really want to see Bandit P when he is upset.

Lionel, I have found that door locked in the past.

Possibly when someone has pulled it closed behind them. I havent even tried it the last few years, as it felt a waste of time.

But if it is supposed to be left open then great. Those who can find it can always try that route.

But yes, to avoid confusion, I think the corridor/secret door/courtyard is much the easiest route for newcomers to use.

Was not aware that happened in the past. Though agree the Secret Door route is more obvious (unless totally slaughtered at 03:00 Sunday morning ;-))

I didn't read it properly Kev - mind you, I can just about find my way around, so no need anyway.

The connecting door was open the year that I was in the Butler's Pantry - Serge was next door in the Gun Room.

There's some building work going on this year, so the routes may not 100% the same this time around. I haven't visited the hotel since last year to check though.