styles997

Jolida owners thread

8 minutes ago, Ward said:

Who do you speak to now if you want one as i don't think 'open-door' is trading any longer?

I'm seriously interested if anyone has any information as already a very happy upgraded Glass II owner

cheers Ward

Hi Ward.

Send a pm to Robert open door. He is not trading as Aired Audio but has a good working relationship with Jolida and I am sure he can help. I have had dealings with him very recently 're phono stage he is really a good guy to deal with.

Regards Robert.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Robert,

I bought my Jolida Glass directly from Robert who also performed the upgrades whilst he was still running Aired audio, will drop him a PM in the  next few days

Cheers Ward

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Ward said:

Thanks Robert,

I bought my Jolida Glass directly from Robert who also performed the upgrades whilst he was still running Aired audio, will drop him a PM in the  next few days

Cheers Ward

You are welcome. Thanks for the thumbs up.

Regards Robert.

Ditto, will post to let all interested how i get on

I recently purchased a new & modified Glass FX DAC III from Robert and can confirm it's a significant improvement over the standard version. IIRC the unmodified version was considered to be a little bass-light, but not my version. Mods performed:

Modwright MOIP Truth oil output caps, silver output wires, silver plated RCA's, Audyn DC filter capacitor, 4 electrolytic cap upgrades to Audio Note Kaisei, Panasonic and Nichicon, CK5755 output tubes and adaptors and some chassis cover dampening.

Well worth it IMHO.

Edited by Getgaff

Guest BD Audio

I still have some caps left over, if anyone wants another doing just ask Robert to get in touch with me.

Super Wammer
On 14 December 2016 at 09:22, Waxy said:

I would third the phono stage... I bought the modded JD9 from Simon.

:stereo:

And I would fourth it. It's been Modwrighted but have no idea what's inside tube-wise, heck it took me long enough to work out which of the dip switches to set at the back and which RCAs to connect my cables to… sounding lovely though.

Super Wammer

Jolida JD9 settings: I followed the manual when I set mine up many months ago, just wanted to check other owners would do the same things. My cartridge is an Ortofon 2M Black MM and the Jolida feeds into the combined phono/line jacks on an Arcam A39 integrated which I have configured to be LINE not PHONO.

There are basically three configuration variables on the Jolida:

• Impedance switches x7
    • I have both of my 4th (47000 ohm) switches activated (in the up position)
  • Voltage gain switches x3
    • 1st switch (Low Gain) is activated 
  • LO 200 millivolt and HI 1.8 volt output jacks
    • I'm using the HI 1.8volt jacks

And of course there is that LINE/PHONO setting on the A39.

It's the LO/HI jacks I'm not sure about as the guidance says the LO out is for use with "preamplifier separates" and the HI is for "integrated amplifiers or line stage preamplifiers" but I'm confused by the language here as I thought, in my self-evident technical ignorance, all three of these were basically the same front end, regardless of whether the power amplification was done within the same box (integrated) or not (preamplifier); I certainly don't understand the difference between "line stage preamplifier" and "preamplifier separate". 

So I'd appreciate:

• confirmation I have mine configured and connected correctly
  • enlightenment re those terms
  • and finally, just out of academic interest, I'd love to know what the effect would be if I selected either the LO output jacks or the adjacent impedance or voltage gain switches. Academic interest as I don't want to blow anything up!

Many thanks,

Nigel

Super Wammer

Your configuration is correct: you have selected MM and 47K impedance. You can though set the 8 cartridge matching dip switches to your preferred listening taste (if you got the time and patience). Only suggestion is to try and switch the 8th dip up (the 220pf) to match your cartridges load capacitance.

Terms and outputs: you are using the correct 'high' outputs. The 'low' output relates to gain and those rca's have resistors in the path to drop the phonostage's voltage output. The 'low' is only to be used with very high gain preamplifiers to create better linearity of voltage/gain between components. The 'high' is what can be termed as normal use (99% of the time).

The other gain switches are for low and higher output MC cartridges. You won't blow anything up but not recommended as the gain will drop significantly.

The Modwright version of the JD9 includes Jolida's Upgrade 1 package (Jolida factory diode and resistor upgrade plus TungSol Gold Pin E83CC tubes - new issue) and has 3 capacitor upgrades which are of the Modwright brand - that on the output (2 caps, one per channel) and one dc filter. All are the Modwright oil types (M Series MOIP). Capacitors were fitted by the Jolida importing agent and sold exclusively by BD Audio at the time (Modwright agent).

Edited by Open door
more detail and grammar
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer
Your configuration is correct: you have selected MM and 47K impedance. You can though set the 8 cartridge matching dip switches to your preferred listening taste (if you got the time and patience). Only suggestion is to try and switch the 8th dip up (the 220pf) to match your cartridges load capacitance.
Terms and outputs: you are using the correct 'high' outputs. The 'low' output relates to gain and those rca's have resistors in the path to drop the phonostage's voltage output. The 'low' is only to be used with very high gain preamplifiers to create better linearity of voltage/gain between components. The 'high' is what can be termed as normal use (99% of the time).
The other gain switches are for low and higher output MC cartridges. You won't blow anything up but not recommended as the gain will drop significantly.
The Modwright version of the JD9 includes Jolida's Upgrade 1 package (Jolida factory diode and resistor upgrade plus TungSol Gold Pin E83CC tubes - new issue) and has 3 capacitor upgrades which are of the Modwright brand - that on the output (2 caps, one per channel) and one dc filter. All are the Modwright oil types (M Series MOIP). Capacitors were fitted by the Jolida importing agent and sold exclusively by BD Audio at the time (Modwright agent).

Fantastic stuff, many thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've finally got the chance to set up the Acoustic Signature deck and arm with a used van den Hull MC1 special playing through a Jolida JD9 that has been nicely fettled by Robert, however I am experiencing a nasty midrange distortion through both channels and can't work out where it is coming from; any suggestions on what to try would be much appreciated.

1 hour ago, Ward said:

I've finally got the chance to set up the Acoustic Signature deck and arm with a used van den Hull MC1 special playing through a Jolida JD9 that has been nicely fettled by Robert, however I am experiencing a nasty midrange distortion through both channels and can't work out where it is coming from; any suggestions on what to try would be much appreciated.

Assuming that the Cart is OK and been checked in another system and set up correctly on the deck/arm combo I would have a look at the settings on the Jolida it might be a gain issue if using the high output, check the Jolida booklet and try setting it on the lower gain and using the recommended setting for your cart. This can be done via the dip switches on the back and make sure you have the RCA plugs in the right input/outputs sockets again the booklet is useful for this.

Otherwise try contacting Robert direct he might be able to suggest more as he really knows about the JD9 stage.

Good luck:^

4 hours ago, Grimwould said:

Assuming that the Cart is OK and been checked in another system and set up correctly on the deck/arm combo I would have a look at the settings on the Jolida it might be a gain issue if using the high output, check the Jolida booklet and try setting it on the lower gain and using the recommended setting for your cart. This can be done via the dip switches on the back and make sure you have the RCA plugs in the right input/outputs sockets again the booklet is useful for this.

Otherwise try contacting Robert direct he might be able to suggest more as he really knows about the JD9 stage.

Good luck:^

Thanks for the support Robert,

Robert (Open Door) kindly sent me a PM, however it seems I should have looked at the cartridge more closely when it arrived as it appears to have a rather badly offset cantilever, will have to look into sending it to either the expert stylus company of vdHull for a repair.

Cheers Ward

DSCF0143.JPG

15 hours ago, Ward said:

Thanks for the support Robert,

Robert (Open Door) kindly sent me a PM, however it seems I should have looked at the cartridge more closely when it arrived as it appears to have a rather badly offset cantilever, will have to look into sending it to either the expert stylus company of vdHull for a repair.

Cheers Ward

DSCF0143.JPG

Hi Ward.

Sorry about it being the cart it does look bad from the picture maybe the cantilever has gone. I have used the Expert stylus company in the past with good results.

Regards Robert.

Thanks for the recommendation Robert

Kind regards Ward