The Strat

Wammers Album Club - Tuesday 10th Feb - The Sidewinder Lee Morgan

Is this the coolest of the cool  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I discovered Lee Morgan when I first heard Blue Train by John Coltrane - the execution of Lee's solo on the title track is simply one of the most dynamic and sublime pieces of instrumentation I have ever heard. At the time (1957) Morgan was merely 19 but his career was already taking off.

He became a prolific recording artist and live performer - he worked with Art Blakey for a considerable period - particularly on the NY scene. The Sidewinder was cut in 1963 and actually made the pop charts and was used for a Chrysler advert although this subsequently had to be withdrawn for legal reasons.

One of the comments sometimes made of jazz around here is that of "plonkety plonk" music. Definitely not the case here. Notwithstanding the Blues orientated title track this is typical of the "hard bop" sub-genre (as was Blue Train) and is full of driving rhythms and sweeping dynamics. It is arguably the greatest of all the great albums to be put out on the Blue Note label. A star studded band including the superb Joe Henderson on tenor.

Typically it all ended in tragedy for Lee in that on 19 February 1972 after an altercation between sets at Sluggers in NY he was shot by his common law wife. He died later quite possibly because the ambulance was delayed due to a heavy snowstorm.

• Upvote 1

Spotify

- - - Updated - - -

Deezer

Guest MJ.

Pleasant enough I suppose, at low volumes, in a restaurant type setting but pretty dozeworthy.

"pretty dozeworthy" wtf!

My memory of this is that it is the hardest of hard bop. I bought the CD a few years ago played it once and never went back. This will force me to give it a second chance which I have been meaning to do for a long time. Gee thanks man.:nerves:

• Upvote 1

I don't know this, but had a quick play of some bits and now REALLY looking forward to hearing it all.

:^ Thanks Lindsay.

• Upvote 1

Fuckin' hell Lindsay, I need to unleash hell !!!

All this pent up frustration is causing psychological problems. I, at least, expected something that I could dislike enough to have a minor rant. But, oh no. You come along with your sensible choice and force the inevitable explosion back into my brain.

Somebody had better post some shit soon :grrr:

I'm throwin' up some country next time:fight:

Don't have this but did have a phase of buying yer classic Blue Note jazz CDs from this era. A great era for jazz, jazz was really swingin'. :D

[video=youtube;bKwQ_zeRwEs]

• Upvote 1

Guest MJ.

Probably get a big :^ the way the WAC has been serenely noodling on the last few weeks :)

:off:You caused enough trouble with last weeks WAC. Give it a rest man! :P

Fuckin' hell Lindsay, I need to unleash hell !!!

All this pent up frustration is causing psychological problems. I, at least, expected something that I could dislike enough to have a minor rant. But, oh no. You come along with your sensible choice and force the inevitable explosion back into my brain.

Somebody had better post some shit prog soon :grrr:

:whistle: