Professor Chaos

Wammer's Album Club - Tues. Feb. 3 - Muddy Waters - The Real Folk Blues

Prof. 'Safe is my middle name' Chaos here to restore order to bedlam:D

This week we have a classic album from the belle époque of Chicago's blues scene. Yes it is rife with every blues cliché extant . . . many of them came into being because of the towering influence of this man.

Born McKinley Morganfield, Muddy came up from the "learn at the feet of a master" tradition of rural Southern blues. He was part of the wave of blacks that left the plantations and went north for manufacturing jobs in the 1940s. This album is basically the old time blues Muddy had played on an acoustic guitar at parties and juke joints in the Mississippi Delta area, but electrified for a hip, urbane audience. Rollin' and Tumblin', for instance, is merely yet another reworking of the evergreen Travellin' Riverside Blues.

muddy-waters-cover-art04.jpg

Spotify Link

• Upvote 1

Brilliant diversity of music on the WAC :) ,

Muddy Waters, big name, never played an album of his , time to start.

You know a lot of Muddy's music, you just don't know that you know it. So many 60s British rockers made career choices based on listening to the man's output religiously.

Great record - love it.

Looking forward to this. I haven't heard it but Folk Singer is one of my favourite albums.

I know this very well. It is feckin' superb. Good choice! :x

(Need to put some thought into the sarcasm and invective now)

You could go back and re-review Watain? ;-):P

Hearingisbelieving/Chris has re-reviewed the entire WAC today (showing tremendous good taste about The Heads and Watain :zip:). I'm just posting this to nudge this tread back to the top so I can find the fecker later. It is carnage in the What's Happening sub-forum this morning.

Blues is/are the foundations of so much popular music of the 2nd half of the 20th century.

To put this album into context, its worth reading this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_blues

Even if you're a total philistine, without the Blues, the music we listen to now would be all the poorer without it.

So a huge :^:^:^ from me.