Primare posse

You're kidding - no Primare thread?

There's a thread for vintage open baffle non-oversampling 300b cassette decks, but not for Primare?

Ah well, down to business: I owned an SPA21 AV amp for many years, primarily used for two channels. Eventually sold it (all 25kg of it) for a stupidly low price, along with the hyper-expensive C33 cudgel / solid aluminium remote :doh:

After a good long search I hope that my first foray back into "non-lifestyle" audio will be an I32, tomorrow. Even in my dotage I think I'm getting a little excited.

So, what ya got (or had)?

Super Wammer

I had a little Primare A20 as my first real foray into hifi seperates, bit of a fluke start with the Rega Planet Mk1 and A20. Really nice amp, superb build quality and sounded great. Don't see many about now, it was an ebay bargain at £150 IIRC.

6514893583_35e62bd1f1_o.jpg

pict1184xq2 by RSdesignUK, on Flickr

Eh up. From courier's van to running on the rack in about 5 minutes.

I'm sure there's a world of tweaking I could do, but fundamentally it just works, and works an awful lot better than the inbuilt Sonos amp ...

IMG_20150128_153508.jpg

... That looks very nice ....... had the i30 amp.and the i30 cd player a few years ago ........ lovely build quality and neutral sounding.

I ran an a30.1 for 10 years only sold when I upgraded to a plinius9200 last year. If the plinius wasn't so good it would sill be in my system now, It was that good although it did like blowing fuses every so often.

• Upvote 1

They are absolutely beautiful Bob and the highest of high end at launch.

A guy I know has just changed his i30 for an Arcam FMJ. Used to love the Primare with his PMCs Only heard the FMJ once but not as good imo.

I've had my I30 from brand new, I love the neutrality and control it has over every speaker I've had. So far the only thing I really liked as a similar but much bigger sounding amp is the Karan KA180.

It is an amp you can build a system around as it has plenty of inputs both balanced and single ended and it's built like a tank. I love it.

Absolutely outstanding Bob. TBH I don't really care what they sound like - on look alone those things belong in MOMA.

It got me thinking - watch manufacturers make a bundle by plundering their back catalogue for classic lookers. IMO Primare need to re-issue that little lot (obviously that's going to knacker the "pre-loved" market, but hey-ho).

Still own and use most days these.

Primare_928_complete_system.jpg

'Uber'. The Cheshire adjective of choice. :D;-)