Sign in to follow this  
chrismckay

How you listen and perceive music....

I spent some time studying Zen Buddhism with ' The Master' up a tree in Tibet and he imparted great knowledge on the one day he spoke each Millenium.

Fortunately I had won the best cake competition at my local fete and this was my prize.....

The Master advised me to empty my mind of all negative thoughts, to picture a giant pool full of the murky water of life's experiences and travails, any resentments and bitterness I held had soured that water and now I should gently but with great purpose remove these negative thoughts from this stale pool and slowly but surely, drop by drop refill with fresh clean pure water of love and tolerance.

So before each listening 'experience' I prepare myself by fasting for one week and for the following ten days I rise half an hour before dawn to meditate, taking nothing but small sips of green tea from a vessel crafted solely by the power of thought from a single piece of granite by the Master, a green tea prepared by gently rubbing - but never picking - consenting leaves - for what right have I, just another insignificant life, to take that of my brother the tea plant ?

Once I am prepared thus, my ears are cleaned with the soft branch of the lone cherry blossom tree that grows precisely 500 metres from the summit of mount Fuji, for the Master embraced all beliefs and all creeds ---- 'am I so full of ego to believe I hold all the answers my son ? ' he whispered on that fateful day ' does not the cloud learn from the sea ? ' I then bathe for 3 days alternating cold with hot water, to balance my karma - the ying and the yang, I use water moss to cleanse my skin, to rid me of all impurities.

Stepping from the bath I dry myself on the wind, `i stand naked before the very sources of nature embracing all that is true.

And now am I ready to concentrate fully on my listening experience, I close one eye leaving the other open --- my yogi has taught me to hold this position for 12 hours unblinking - any discomfort my drying eyes emit being mere reminders of mankind's and my own mortality ....... I am now READY - my mind is clear, my body cleansed, my senses keen - thus I prostrate myself on the floor face down, perfectly still, and slowly very slowly I allow myself to levitate some 18 inches from the floor, floating in free space, acoustically inert and only now do I slowly and with some grace move my arm in a great ark, each movement a poem -- my fingers reach out in a caress as I, with singleness of purpose turn the dial on the Amstrad .........................

Ha ha ha.......very funny!!!

Your either a talented writer or you co-incidently found that and copy and pasted......I have a feling it was the former!!!

As entertaining as your reply is, I personally do get a nice feeling of calm from being "mindfull".....which ultimately allows me to enjoy my music more

"Mindfulness" is probably my most effective "upgrade" to my listenig experience to date...:^

I spent some time studying Zen Buddhism with ' The Master' up a tree in Tibet and he imparted great knowledge on the one day he spoke each Millenium.

Fortunately I had won the best cake competition at my local fete and this was my prize.....

The Master advised me to empty my mind of all negative thoughts, to picture a giant pool full of the murky water of life's experiences and travails, any resentments and bitterness I held had soured that water and now I should gently but with great purpose remove these negative thoughts from this stale pool and slowly but surely, drop by drop refill with fresh clean pure water of love and tolerance.

So before each listening 'experience' I prepare myself by fasting for one week and for the following ten days I rise half an hour before dawn to meditate, taking nothing but small sips of green tea from a vessel crafted solely by the power of thought from a single piece of granite by the Master, a green tea prepared by gently rubbing - but never picking - consenting leaves - for what right have I, just another insignificant life, to take that of my brother the tea plant ?

Once I am prepared thus, my ears are cleaned with the soft branch of the lone cherry blossom tree that grows precisely 500 metres from the summit of mount Fuji, for the Master embraced all beliefs and all creeds ---- 'am I so full of ego to believe I hold all the answers my son ? ' he whispered on that fateful day ' does not the cloud learn from the sea ? ' I then bathe for 3 days alternating cold with hot water, to balance my karma - the ying and the yang, I use water moss to cleanse my skin, to rid me of all impurities.

Stepping from the bath I dry myself on the wind, `i stand naked before the very sources of nature embracing all that is true.

And now am I ready to concentrate fully on my listening experience, I close one eye leaving the other open --- my yogi has taught me to hold this position for 12 hours unblinking - any discomfort my drying eyes emit being mere reminders of mankind's and my own mortality ....... I am now READY - my mind is clear, my body cleansed, my senses keen - thus I prostrate myself on the floor face down, perfectly still, and slowly very slowly I allow myself to levitate some 18 inches from the floor, floating in free space, acoustically inert and only now do I slowly and with some grace move my arm in a great ark, each movement a poem -- my fingers reach out in a caress as I, with singleness of purpose turn the dial on the Amstrad .........................

Aye. and if we told the youngsters today they just wouldn't believe us!

Ha ha ha.......very funny!!!

Your either a talented writer or you co-incidently found that and copy and pasted......I have a feling it was the former!!!

As entertaining as your reply is, I personally do get a nice feeling of calm from being "mindfull".....which ultimately allows me to enjoy my music more

"Mindfulness" is probably my most effective "upgrade" to my listenig experience to date...:^

ha ha thankyou --- i am to blame for it I'm afraid --- but I mock it less than my words may suggest --- mindfulness is indeed the best 'upgrade' you can have in my opinion -- to actually be immersed in the music at that moment -- its what religions are made of ( or should be )-- and i only mock the things I love ........ ahem --as the Master once said to me, 'the secret is to get in the space between the claps' ........... ofcourse we were sitting in the waiting room of a clinic at the time after a particularly taxing game of doubles ping pong with the local Thai girls ( some serve she had i tell you ) but I know what I choose to believe I heard ......cheers ! .................

ha ha thankyou --- i am to blame for it I'm afraid --- but I mock it less than my words may suggest --- mindfulness is indeed the best 'upgrade' you can have in my opinion -- to actually be immersed in the music at that moment -- its what religions are made of ( or should be )-- and i only mock the things I love ........ ahem --as the Master once said to me, 'the secret is to get in the space between the claps' ........... ofcourse we were sitting in the waiting room of a clinic at the time after a particularly taxing game of doubles ping pong with the local Thai girls ( some serve she had i tell you ) but I know what I choose to believe I heard ......cheers ! .................

:^

Mindfulness helps, for me its visiting the local health centre and getting my ears syringed. Free and the best upgrade. I spent a fruitless weekend tube rolling and other checks to find out why the left channel seemed a little down, had the ears done and saved myself buying another cartridge. It has a high WAF as well as it has the added benefit of not answering all questions with 'what?'

I think that the sitting centrally idea with visions of the old maxell ad in mind is a great goal but getting the balance dead central, VTA correct, bias and overhang right does provide genuine ocd behaviour watched both worryingly and uncomprehendingly by the other half. Maybe off axis has benefits for a simpler life

That's what I mean about off axis!

thats even more drawn out that my wank protocal... i leave it running.. come home turn up and drift out to freedom.

This is what I've found myself doing recently:

Walk into room and turn everything on (wall switches).

If using vinyl, make sure speed box and prepreamp are on, add a record, brush it clear of dust, clean stylus & lower tonearm and let it play.

I usually have to let the valve amp warm up for a bit so now it's time to go to the kitchen and make myself an espresso (love these bean to cup thingies).

Walk back into room and switch to CD.

Place CD onto swing out arm....add naim puck.

Spend the next 5 minutes trying to get it ABSOLUTELY central (don't know why - must be OCD)

Close tray, grab remote.

Turn around and spend a couple of min getting my seat central.

Press play.

Realise volume is not the same.

Get back up.

Change amp knob up/down a bit.

Sit back down.

Get back up and rearrange chair.

Sit back down.

Realise it's f*****g cold in here today.

Get back up and go upstairs, put a jumper on.

Return and sit back down and realise this naim control is bloody shit (you have to press "prog" to get the numbers to do anything, otherwise it only responds to "next" or "previous" to change track).

Swear (a lot).

Finally get the track I want and then realise I put the wrong CD in.

Swear some more.

Get up and get the right CD.

Put it in the tray.

F**** the puck - press f****** play

F**** the chair position too.

Sit down.

Listen.

...after 5min I'm smiling again :)

I don't remember the very first time I heard an album called dark side of the moon. But I do remember the very first time I listened to it while stoned out my box.

For a long time rolling joints and listening to music went hand in hand. Ritualistic it was.

But its been a number of years now since I've had the joy of a bifter and an album together. Slowly things like becoming more grown up, marriage, career and having children all ensured the end of those good old days.

I take comfort knowing that, say in maybe 17 years or so, the offspring will be kicked out and I'll have the place to my self again and I'll skin up and stick on dark side of the moon again.

I don't remember the very first time I heard an album called dark side of the moon. But I do remember the very first time I listened to it while stoned out my box.

For a long time rolling joints and listening to music went hand in hand. Ritualistic it was.

But its been a number of years now since I've had the joy of a bifter and an album together. Slowly things like becoming more grown up, marriage, career and having children all ensured the end of those good old days.

I take comfort knowing that, say in maybe 17 years or so, the offspring will be kicked out and I'll have the place to my self again and I'll skin up and stick on dark side of the moon again.

Dream on. The buggers breed, unless you can have them neutered, contact your local vet.

Anyway, all that growing up will have ruined the record for you. Wish You Were Here, now that's another matter......