Sign in to follow this  
JMack75

Isolation Platform Benefits- Foo or Real?

I had a leema antila and it made a very big improvement putting it on a sonority design roller stand . well worth the money and don't start me on Townshend stands !!!!

The favourite of mine is stranded tone-arm cables. Move them around physically' date=' and it makes a sound. There are various mechanisms involved, but it's all perfectly normal and accepted science.

.[/quote']

Is it now? Are you sure? Theories and equations, please...

Is it now? Are you sure? Theories and equations, please...

It's called triboelectricity, and it's caused by the friction between and within the insulation of the cable. It's made worse when the cable is polarised with phantom power, and it's a particular problem with microphone cables especially when performers move around a lot. Think of Roger Daltry!

It's not much of an issue with static cables as in home HiFi, but it IS a real effect, just not one that needs addressing at home.

S

Talking of Townsend my Cranfield Rock sports 3 isolation feet (enclosed large (3" diameter or so) springs) and I further improved isolation by putting the TT on an MDF shelf (just happened to be what was lying around - from a Target shelf system) and placing it on top of 3, or 4 ice hockey pucks sat on the main shelf or table. It seems to work and it looks OK.

These demos probably involve a hidden tweak of listening volume via remote control.

Yeah that's the time honoured old trick isn't it Phil. That said at Bristol though a couple of years ago when Quadraspire demonstrated the differences between their various shelves were adamant and at pains to point out that voume levels were completely unchanged. In the event I didn't hang around to find out because the Polarbear was offering to buy me a cup of tea!

FOO. Turntables on suspended floors excepted. But then you'll hear your stylus skipping!

Learn more stuff.

For me, I have tried to isolate my amp and vinyl deck. However, I wouldn't spend large amounts of money trying to do it. I used some glass shelves (free - I had them lying around from other furniture since discarded) and some squash balls cut in half (a few quid).

I can't tell if it's made a massive improvement or not because by the time I've set it up, my sonic memory has degraded to the point I wouldn't know an improvement if it came and bit me in the arse (how a lot of foo works imo)...but then again, it was only a few quid to do the isolation so I'm not complaining ;-)

You call it "Learn" I call it "Imagine".

In between no vibration and enough vibration to make the needle skip what does the vibration do to the music?

In between no vibration and enough vibration to make the needle skip what does the vibration do to the music?

Feck all in audible realm of electronics, a stylus and thus arm has a mechanical interface that can be affected by movement. Vibration does bugger all to frequency of audio. Show me evidence outside your faery garden that it does.

Feck all in audible realm of electronics, a stylus and thus arm has a mechanical interface that can be affected by movement.

So, it would be affected by vibration.

Mechanically yes? thus would jump out of groove. Can you demonstrate any relevance to vibration/resonance feedback etc. in the audible spectrum due to effecting electronic circuitry? You are insinuating there is a change to the audible frequency range are you not?, the old chestnuts of glass/bright, wood/lumpy bass? Please elaborate other than …. I have heard …. Faery realm claims.