htm_1968

Wammers Album Club Tues 20th January , The Heads - Relaxing With....

Reactions please  

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

HeadsRelax.jpg

The Heads were a four piece band from Bristol producing heavy psychedelic rock. They formed in the early 1990s but largely broke up several years ago. The former members are still active, lead guitarist Paul Allen leads Anthroproff Kandodo. Hugo Morgan who played bass and drummer Wayne Maskell currently play with Loop and also work with vocalist Simon Price works in Kandodo. The Heads will play a farewell gig as artists in residence at the 2015 Roadburn festival in April in Tilburg.

Spotify: The Heads – Relaxing With…

Recent nominations for the WAC have provided melody, virtuoso playing, outstanding vocal performances, booty-shaking rhythms, thoughtful and insight lyrics and subtle interplay between the musicians. You will get none of that here. The Heads are about riffs, drones, intensity and above all, volume! This is their debut LP from 1995. Turn it up to 11 please.

The Heads were a phenomenal experience live. One of their last gigs was in support to Mudhoney at Koko in London. Check this out: http://beatcast.tv/blog/2010/03/the-heads/ The Heads. The show opens with Quad, the first track from 'Relaxing With.....'

I take it the poll is in ascending order :D

I take it the poll is in ascending order :D

:D I was tempted to make the poll multiple choice to give Terry the widest range of definitivenessTM possible, but decided it would be RongTM to do so.

A word of warning about Spotify. They list a bunch of albums under The Heads that are not by this band. Tinderbox, Horizon and Smoke and Mirrors (although it sounds like it should be) are interlopers. If you enjoy this, then you might like to give the 'Everybody knows we got nowhere' LP a try. The additional disk on that release is essentially a singles and BBC sessions collection.

I very rapid run through suggests I shall be sharpening my quill to "extreme endangerment" :whistle:

:yeah:

I recognise the cover from Spotify's 'Sounds like'. Never listened.

Had a quick burst and I'm sure I will like but not sure they'll be enough originality to make it something special (often the problem with this sort of Sabbath-y/Hawkwind-y/Stooges-y stuff).

With extreme prejudice :x

Prejudice eh....:cafe:.

Not seen any 70/80s cop shows then ? :whistle:

Bargearse???

BargearseTrendpic.jpg

It's perfectly OK, but I've tried a few times and I find it hard to warm to this on the whole.

I'm sure in the early 90s in Bristol, this lot would have been a thrilling discovery and left fans wondering how they never made it and got greater exposure (I never heard them before this WAC). Listening fresh in 2015 and, well, most of this doesn't really sound very fresh, to me.

It's impressive as a riff-y wall of sound, but not many hooks or memorable moments in the noisier stuff. Not much variation either. Much better when they add a bit of contrast, such as on 'Taken Too Much' - like this, very good track. Among the noisier stuff, 'Woke Up' is really good, riffs more angular and sharp. The wilder mid-section of the 'Coogan's Bluff' wig-out also much more like it.

I reckon would have been impressive for its time (and I'm sure I'd have liked it more then too). Now is just a decent example of early 90s heavy psychedelic grunge. Not something I'd play again (and that may well be because I heard enough of it in the 90s!).

It's perfectly OK, but I've tried a few times and I find it hard to warm to this on the whole.

I'm sure in the early 90s in Bristol, this lot would have been a thrilling discovery and left fans wondering how they never made it and got greater exposure (I never heard them before this WAC). Listening fresh in 2015 and, well, most of this doesn't really sound very fresh, to me.

It's impressive as a riff-y wall of sound, but not many hooks or memorable moments in the noisier stuff. Not much variation either. Much better when they add a bit of contrast, such as on 'Taken Too Much' - like this, very good track. Among the noisier stuff, 'Woke Up' is really good, riffs more angular and sharp. The wilder mid-section of the 'Coogan's Bluff' wig-out also much more like it.

I reckon would have been impressive for its time (and I'm sure I'd have liked it more then too). Now is just a decent example of early 90s heavy psychedelic grunge. Not something I'd play again (and that may well be because I heard enough of it in the 90s!).

:^that is fair enough. Despite my affection for this LP, I agree entirely on the difficulty of looking back in time at an act like this. Many of the current leaders of the Psyche Movement (e.g. Goat, Hills, Wooden Shjips, White Hills) all namecheck The Heads as a major influence. I can also see where a percieved lack of variety might be a problem. A bunch of their better tracks from this time were kept back and drip released as singles, largely on the Man's Ruin label. The tracks are available on the extra disc of their 2nd LP the prophetically titled 'Everyone Knows We Got Nowhere'.

(there ya go Terry - ammunition :TheBird:)