josh

Will this SACD play on my regular CDP?

Hi guys, sorry for the possibly unnecessary extra post but this CD was recommended and I can't find the post:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beethoven-Violin-Concerto-Mendelssohn/dp/B0002TKFR2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1420549811&sr=8-2&keywords=heifetz+beethoven+concerto

Will it play on my regular CDP as it's a hybrid SACD?

Thanks,

Josh

...... Yes............ in stereo.

And the SQ will be that of a regular CD. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious.

there are 2 layers imprinted Josh. Your player will find and play the normal CD layer.

Almost 100% it will. "SACD" are one of several possibilities. There are usually three layers. (1) SACD 2 channel: (2) SACD 5.1Channel, (cd) Channel. I will be good. Benefit is if you upgrade you will get the benefit of the superior layer

Andrei, usually the multichannel layer is 5.0 for Classical SACDs, not 5.1 :geek:

Again generally, the trick is to find the word 'hybrid' on the disk or case. There are relatively few non-hybrid SACDs, but those that there are will not play at all on a CDP.

Almost 100% it will. "SACD" are one of several possibilities. There are usually three layers. (1) SACD 2 channel: (2) SACD 5.1Channel, (cd) Channel. I will be good. Benefit is if you upgrade you will get the benefit of the superior layer

I don't think that this is quite right. As far as I know; all hybrid SACD's are dual layer only. There is no third layer.

If there is a Stereo and Multi-Channel option on the same disc; then both are on the same SACD layer. I believe that a hybrid SACD disc is basically a DVD-9 dual layer disc with 8.5 Gb total storage space.

AFAIK; there are currently no consumer format optical discs using triple layers. Toshiba were working on such a disc for HD DVD before that format perished and the forthcoming UHD Blu-ray 4K discs 100GB discs will be the first consumer format optical discs to use three layers.