JB

replacing plasma

Ive got a 55VT50. Nothing quite like a good quality blu ray with the lights out. Its going to be a long time before theres anything that can match the image quality of the last gen panny plasma's.

OLED will hopefully mature over the years but currently it still suffers the same poor motion resolution as LCD.

Well I've just bought my first flat screen TV (sic), a Sony LCD/LED and I'm beginning to wish I hadn't. The picture quality is really quite poor compared to the Sony Triniton 21" CRT I've been using since 1997. The image is washed out, blacks are grey etc. It would be interesting to sit people who've used LED/LCD TVs for a few years in front of a decent CRT. I think they'd find the CRT superior.

Unfortunately Sony don't make standard panels anymore, so they really aren't of the quality that you're used to....

Another misconception is that the cheaper panels produce good results, as in anything you will probably have to look at the better panels from Samsung or LG to improve on cart or older plasma offerings... imo, ymmv etc

Unfortunately Sony don't make standard panels anymore, so they really aren't of the quality that you're used to....

Another misconception is that the cheaper panels produce good results, as in anything you will probably have to look at the better panels from Samsung or LG to improve on cart or older plasma offerings... imo, ymmv etc

Possibly. It's a small TV - 32" - and I spent a long time researching to find the best set in that size. The Sony came out top, especially when viewing in several showrooms, when the Sony's HD was indistinguishable from other brands, but its SD was better. IMO it's about the relatively poor quality of LCD/LED compared to CRT.

I have just had to replace a 10yr old panny pv500, i went for the 55 inch sony, blu ray and high def look awesome but standard def looks really shit, also the viewing angle is much less too, turns out the sony uses LG glass, so if you are not a brand snob maybe they are worth a look as i'm sure they will be cheaper. replacing a plasma with an led lcd is always going to be a dissapointment but im kinda happy with my sony, it cost 1300 which is a lot less than the 2300 i paid ten years ago for my panny. i just hope it lasts as long.

I still have a 42 inch version which will be 10 years old in July and is still as good as the day I received it. How did yours fail ? Mine very occasionally switches off for no reason.

Yes, it is all a visual-sonic-psychological palaver.

Suitable joy can be purchased-enjoyed without overspending. Plasma never was the best (most expensive maybe ...).

I am still a biggest best-CRT lover, who 7 years ago learned the joy of 16.9 through Pannie-Sammie-LG.

Some fine tips above - do not overspend on 8k etc ...