JB

replacing plasma

Thanks pm. Going to take my time as no rush the txp42g20 doing sterling work. Just the room could do with a 55" or 60". Like the look of some of the panny 4k LEDs. No one mentioned Sony any reason?

My son has a Sony 40 inch LCD, its a KDL-40W605B and I find it better in every way to my 50 inch Panasonic Plasma.

It has a sense of depth to the picture, which makes things more realistic and also copes with grey scales better and I auditioned Panasonic, Samsung and LG at the same time. The shop also let me fiddle with settings, but the Sony was our favourite.

It only uses 50watts as opposed to 600watts for my Plasma.:shock:

600watts!! What model is that, is it one from the eighties??? :nuts:

600watts!! What model is that, is it one from the eighties??? :nuts:

Panasonic TX-P50G10B, only 4 years old. It warms the AV room up quite considerably.

My friend has a 50 inch Phillips plasma, about 6 years old and that draws 800 watts :shock:

My P42G20B uses about 200w in normal use and 300w on a pure white screen.

My Panny uses the quoted 435W on Eco with mild settings, but when I go to Vivid movie settings, shoots up to 600w. :doh:

I will definitely go LCD next time.

I went for an lg 4k

http://www.johnlewis.com/lg-49ub850v-led-4k-ultra-hd-3d-smart-tv-49-with-freeview-hd-2x-3d-glasses/p1415132

the picture is good - easily equal or better to most others out there in my living room, ignore the review stating a bad picture - there have been multiple firmware updates each improving the picture which leads me on to my next point.

LCD panels are all much of a muchness these days with the real PQ coming from the processing and firmware (which can be updated).

The LG panel is good in 2 areas 1, it's an IPS panel which means a near 180 degree viewing cone and 2, the 3d uses passive (cinema style) glasses which are cheap (good if you have kids).

The other thing that's really good is that the interface is smooth and easy to use with lots of apps available.

4k is great with netflix and youtube.

If you possibly can, wait for the new tizen and android tv's comming soon, probably with oled panels.

Phillips lcds give FULL control of all colour options and screen setup, unlike the others listed. 8/9000 series, but the os is a little slow compared to the recent samsungs. You also get ambilight and the lowest jitter of all screens.

Don't take my word for it on pic quality, the Phillips sets have won best lcd screen quality for the last 10 years running from EISA

I went for an lg 4k

http://www.johnlewis.com/lg-49ub850v-led-4k-ultra-hd-3d-smart-tv-49-with-freeview-hd-2x-3d-glasses/p1415132

the picture is good - easily equal or better to most others out there in my living room, ignore the review stating a bad picture - there have been multiple firmware updates each improving the picture which leads me on to my next point.

LCD panels are all much of a muchness these days with the real PQ coming from the processing and firmware (which can be updated).

The LG panel is good in 2 areas 1, it's an IPS panel which means a near 180 degree viewing cone and 2, the 3d uses passive (cinema style) glasses which are cheap (good if you have kids).

The other thing that's really good is that the interface is smooth and easy to use with lots of apps available.

4k is great with netflix and youtube.

If you possibly can, wait for the new tizen and android tv's comming soon, probably with oled panels.

Nice :^

Good price for a 4K TV as well.

I have an LG TV and I have to say; the 3D is just stunning - zero cross talk and brilliantly detailed and punchy images. The great thing about passive 3D is that you'll be able to use your cinema 3D glasses with your TV as well.

Enjoy.

I prefer active 3d than passive as you see the full screen resolution and diagonal lines aren't jagged from the missing horizontal data. The pic is dimmer with active glasses but for movies when you dim the lights this isn't an issue and can be compensated for by screen pre sets.

All that is my personal preference and the glasses are indeed expensive and uncomfortable. Such is the point that I don't ever 3d apart from the party piece and if I'm really bored. Is it something you REALLY want and if so try both passive and active and make sure you try it at your usual watching distance to detect if the missing data from passive is noticeable and bear in mind the shop will undoubtedly be brighter than the sun

Please yoursel(f/ves), but for big viewing c. whatever inches-metres to whatever, buy great budget HD projector AND fine 32" great budget quality TVs. Optoma-Pannie-Sammie etc ...

Locally, in real shops from real people with real meaningful warranty.

Do not get too hung-up re 'plasma' expensive to run/8k etc.

Enjoy the video-audio sensibly.

It's OK let him live in his own world :)

You'll have to prize my G20B out of my cold dead hands. I sure do intent to test Panasonics long term reliability.

Mind you, mine IMHO was the golden era, the few that came after that I am not so keen on, Iprefer the image quality on mine, and my mates newer ones suffer from awful burn in, my mate's one has half battlefield and half destiny burned into it and it's only 6 months old. :o

Super Wammer

I bought my first flat screen (Sony Bravia) over 10 years ago........its still alive and well and is now sited in the upper level of my outbuilding/garage where I smoke my daily cigar and catch up with the News. When Panasonic announced their decision to end Plasma production last year I took the plunge and purchased my first plasma, the TX-P65VT65B. Power consumption is a hefty 570 W, but absolutely no regrets. Used the Spears and Munsil HD Benchmark Blu-ray disc to calibrate the screen for night time viewing only. The set is used exclusively for blu-ray opera and movies, two channel audio. Without question the most stunning picture I've ever enjoyed domestically. Normal TV viewing can be had on an LCD TV elsewhere in the home. Burn in still remains an issue for these sets especially with so many TV channels using fixed banners and symbols.