The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

Eric van Spelde

Horny Avantgarde Acoustic Owners Club

Now I am using the Solo's with the M&K MX5000 subwoofer crossed over at 40Hz (it's flat down to 16Hz) and turned down quite a lot (not using the THX stuff on the M&K). It just makes everything better and the "menace" is back in when playing rock and techno now. Just listening to Simple Minds after listening to the full CD without the sub and now with.

100% certain it's much better with the sub in, a better balance and depth, everything seems less stressed and more natural.

Resisting the temptation to put on Alexander O'Neal (Fake 12") and to turn up the sub to make the ground shake. :rofl:

In my room I have settled for the Solo's on 3/4 maximum bass extension and flat bass boost, with the speakers 0.5m away from the long wall about 3M apart and about 4M away from the listening position. Toe'd in about 30 degrees, as the mid/top end unit beams like a b'stard.

Guest BD Audio

An SP10 with a 312S and some Horns Bob, the same as Cocos system a few years back.

An SP10 with a 312S and some Horns Bob, the same as Cocos system a few years back.

Er, no, exactly the same arm though. Now using a Pink Triangle Anniversary as it's less damped and more alive, with a SME IV and a Koetsu Rosewood.

Guest BD Audio

Off topic I know but Coco had a Pink Triangle Anniversary before his SP10 IIRC. Anyway, both lovely decks.

Gorgeous speakers too!

Pretty isn't it. :dunno:

It now sits inbetween the speakers next to the TT, so useful for putting record sleeves on. I have yet to use full 100% power of the sub since owning it about the last 5 - 6 years, usually everything in the room moves and you chicken out.

Here's my old Unos. Well, one of them.

AvantgardeUnosSpain.jpg

Bought them new direct from GT Audio.

Kept them for 5 years. :shock:

I really enjoyed them.

Very fast and detailed, but as Bob says a bit of a hot-spot speaker. Treble falls off rapidly to the sides. The bass was OK for me, but I'm not a bass freak. I just revelled in the mids and top end.

And some experimentation indicated that the x-overs were holding back the transparency a fair bit, good though it was. If I still had the Unos I'd defo get some new ones sorted with better components. My Unos were bought 15 or so years ago - maybe they improved that in later models.

Note the special cat protection frame ....

.... which didn't work very well. :doh:

19SampL_zps4e5d20de.jpg

88SootzandLarry.jpg

:)

When does my initiation ceremony start?

When did you get them and how good are they? These are the one thing that make me think about making major system changes. Would you PM me the cost of a pair?

OK, now using two M&K subs with the Solo's, and just about got the balance and positioning right. Definite improvement on one sub, better integrated bass for some reason, although there is more fiddling about to get them to work correctly.

It may be of interest to y'all to learn that - with a small role for yours truly in being postillion d'amour between both parties involved, and having sorted out the analogue source at three out of four events so far - Avantgarde Acoustic is supplying the system for the Classic Album Sundays sessions in Amsterdam, and now Brussels, too.

The audiences' response to experiencing the vinyl albums on the Avantgarde speakers - so far the Uno and Duo xD models have been put to use - has been overwhelming, a breath of fresh air compared to the usual show fare. :)

Edited by Eric van Spelde

With the Verdier and Avantgardes your living room might have featured in the 2-channel forum a while back!

Sadly it looks like the estate agent has recycled the picture - is that Leigh Sinton now? It previously pointed to a picture of a large living room with some walloping great AGs in it.