Eric van Spelde

Horny Avantgarde Acoustic Owners Club

There's a few of us here, so let's hear it... what have you got, what are you driving them with, what sort of room are they in and how did you get at the optimum set up, and what tweaks/tips/tricks do you have to get the best out of them?

Mine are plain old Duos (with the lastest spec 225 subs) and are in a modestly sized (84 cubic metres including half open plan kitchen) living in an apartment building. I have got solid oak floors that are laid 'floating' on the concrete (as per 'house rules') so I had some very heavy 2' x 2' slabs of granite cut to couple the speakers to using spikes. The granite tiles are on sound damping mats that are normally used under washing machines for isolation.

I have damped the big midrange tube, which was fairly resonant, with a thin layer of the damping spray that is normally used to shut up metal panels in cars (i.e. doors) where speakers are installed. Also I replaced the Mundorf caps in the HF crossover (the only passive crossover in the entire system) with Sprague NOS paper in oil caps and Russian NOS Teflon bypasses, and the fairly basic air core inductors with Tritec ones. This has definitely added refinement and detail to the treble ranges.

The obvious route up from here I guess would be the Omega upgrade, but even in the case the kits were still available they'd cost significantly more than what I paid for the speakers (last price I know of for the kit was 6,000 Euro back at its introduction in 2006) so I'll go the DSET (dedicated SET) route with a high pass filter in the HF amplifier's input stage replacing the last passive components in the speakers.

Eric. Mounting them on concrete would mean the vibrations travel easier though the structure, surely?

Your neighbours might notice? Thick rubber blocks might be better? ***

I did own Duos about 4 years ago, but, despite my monicker, didn't settle with them.

I guessed at subtle discontinuity between units that unconsciously meant they didn't 'sound right'

Don't have that with current Calliopes.

*** PHY speaker man (Salabert.)

"He has built the infamous wall, a slightly concave infinite baffle employing 18 tons of inert materials to which he bolts his drivers with a massive brass plate. This allows him to hear his raw transducers without cabinet colorations.Demonstrating the uselessness of extreme mass for damping, he played a French singer's track where the recording engineer hadn't compressed the bass. The walls of this large sand-filled concrete cave were vibrating. Merde!'

From 6 Moons article.

Bob. No Zeros then?

Have come very, very close a couple of times, but I don't think the amount of space I have here would ever work properly. Best I have heard is Duos I have to say. With earlier ones, common opinion is that bass integration is never right. I don't agree. Bass integration is very, very tricky, but can be made to work. It just takes ears and time. Especially the latter. Don't know the Solo well enough to comment and haven't heard the zero.

Have heard a pair of Trios, but very few have the space for them to work in properly.

One day, maybe, but other priorities at the moment :-)

Didn't like the Zero's. Duo's with the modern bass units too expensive, so looking at Solo's as I have always liked them.

Solos are very nice. I bought a pair for my brother, who loves them. Not quite as good as my Duos, but excellent and very WAF friendly. Only problem is that there aren't many Solos kicking around.

Super Wammer

hiend broker has a pair

x1000000 :^ are they those orange ones?

x1000000 :^ are they those orange ones?

No. Black ones.

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats Bob. When do they arrive?

Next week. New room a bit smaller than the old one and I have to use the speakers near a wall, so I think the Quad's will be moved on, depending on which one I like better.

Excellent, I've found them very flexible with regard to wall placement, so I doubt you'll have any problems.

Mine are in a different position to the time you visited - I get much better soundstaging now they're at least 10' apart.