i_should_coco

Living Voice Vox Olympian review by Roy Gregory

Ah, yes, absolutely it is. There's no magic there, just lots of hard work. The price is in many ways a reflection of the target market and the requisite levels of finish. And what price many year of R&D, of course? If you're prepared to put the work in yourself, I think it's perfectly possible to equal or surpass them in terms of SQ.

I haven't heard them, nor more importantly (for me) seen any measurements so I can't comment on how successful (in other words, accurate) they are as a loudspeaker. I applaud the design and finish, which doesn't come cheap, but all that's besides the point. They address a target market that has as little to do with sound quality as buyers of Bugatti Veyrons think about them as transport, or buyers of Vacheron&Constantin care about timekeeping accuracy.

Nevertheless, I would love to see some numbers to know if they're any good.

S

Ah, yes, absolutely it is. There's no magic there, just lots of hard work. The price is in many ways a reflection of the target market and the requisite levels of finish. And what price many year of R&D, of course? If you're prepared to put the work in yourself, I think it's perfectly possible to equal or surpass them in terms of SQ.

I'm guessing the Avant Gardes and Tune Audios etc get close for a fraction of the price.

I'm guessing the Avant Gardes and Tune Audios etc get close for a fraction of the price.

:nup:

No they don't, they really don't.

On what do you base your guess?

Good :) Im starting to realise that those that have a lot of experience and really know what they're doing often come to the same conclusion to what type of transducer/setup gives the closest approach to what live un-amplified vocal or acoustic instruments actually sound like and what is the best way retain beauty of the music without artifacts. This type of speaker certainly seems to get some of the way there.

I'm not fooled by the look of the Landfill Olympians, after spending a fair bit of time reading about various DIY projects on the Lansing Heritage forum i understand what goes into making great speakers and leaving aside the price of drivers, it's experience what counts the most it seems. It's obvious to me that Coco has the experience to understand what goes into making speakers of the quality of the LVOs.

As crossovers came up in the review and discussion and a lot of work has been put into these to make the drivers work optimally it seems. I take it now because of DSP it could be easier to implement these crossovers in the digital domain and get just as good results?

I love it that someone has had a go at making the best they can.

Indeed, it is great that a product is made with no compromises, to the best possible standard that can be achieved within the experience and imagination of the manufacturer. It should be appluaded.

Others of course have the option of attempting something better, especially if they have identified flaws in the design or implementation. I look forward to seeing and hearing their results.

A good friend of mine has Living Voice Air Partners.....they do some things very well, but a lot more things very badly....

Good :) Im starting to realise that those that have a lot of experience and really know what they're doing often come to the same conclusion to what type of transducer/setup gives the closest approach to what live un-amplified vocal or acoustic instruments actually sound like and what is the best way retain beauty of the music without artifacts. This type of speaker certainly seems to get some of the way there.

I'm not fooled by the look of the Landfill Olympians, after spending a fair bit of time reading about various DIY projects on the Lansing Heritage forum i understand what goes into making great speakers and leaving aside the price of drivers, it's experience what counts the most it seems. It's obvious to me that Coco has the experience to understand what goes into making speakers of the quality of the LVOs.

As crossovers came up in the review and discussion and a lot of work has been put into these to make the drivers work optimally it seems. I take it now because of DSP it could be easier to implement these crossovers in the digital domain and get just as good results?

It does seem perverse these days not to go fully active with DSP crossovers and EQ, but there is still a lot of resistance to doing so. KEF and B&W still produce highly priced passive loudspeakers when they could, and have in the past, made actives.

S

It still only Stereo.

Agree with Serge about active angle.

I know someone about to visit LV, before he comes to audition my Ocellias, so will have to get the view!

Here's another view.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/livingvoice6/1.html

DSP certainly makes life easier. I don't really subscribe to the view that it's transparent, my experience is that it isn't quite, at least in the implementations I've heard. It has the potential to be, but I've yet to hear an implementation that truly is (I don't really want to revisit the transparency discussion, it would not be fruitful, my opinion is my opinion and I'm entitled to it). However, this is offset my making the crossover more accurate and removes the effect of unstable (with frequency) driver impedance. It also allows some judicious EQ where required. It also makes time alignment easy (or even possible) and I have found that *that* makes a large difference.

Many ways to skin cats, of course.

I love that Kevin has made these, they are a genuine labour of love.

It would seem that 30 years of love, dedication and hard work has produced a loudspeaker that is desirable for many reasons.

You can't cut corners with a product this esoteric and it shows.

They aren't something I crave, but I would love to hear a set. Congratulations Mr Scott. :love:

It does seem perverse these days not to go fully active with DSP crossovers and EQ, but there is still a lot of resistance to doing so. KEF and B&W still produce highly priced passive loudspeakers when they could, and have in the past, made actives.

S

Well the only reason i brought it up because i was in discussion with someone who had a whole set of TAD drivers (TAD TL1801 + TAD TM1201H + TAD TD4003/tractrix + TAD ET703) and sold them, because he thought he could make a speaker that sounds as good with lesser drivers and more tightly controlled DSP crossovers.

Yes i wonder why the likes of B&W don't supply an active off board crossover, that you use with your own amps with? In effect everyone wins (especially amp manufactures) because you'd have to buy more amps work with the different active sections of the speaker.