josh

John Dowland and lute playing

Absolutely Josh, very much a fan, and have quite a bit of a collection of Dowland stuff - a lot of Bream for example - as well as having sung quite a bit over the years.

:^

If you're interested in exploring the lute, try Paul O' Dette. American lutenist of staggering virtuosity.

S

I have a great disc of his works on one SACD - HERE

Only CD quality, but 4 hours on one disc needs an SACD player.

Wow, speedy responses there!

Thanks guys, I'll check out all those. It's funny, that song I linked to was the first time I think I've really heard a lute/Renaissance piece and I was fully expecting to hate it but it sounds more modern in a way than some later Baroque stuff.

I'll be checking A Varietie of Lute Lessons on Linn (potentially a good source for this area). Haven't heard this one, but like his Bach set.

Also a fan. Lindberg did a really good set of his lute music, some of which are rearrangements of his beautiful songs by the way - for which I'd recommend the DG compilation or the set sung by Bonney - absolute heaven!

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/w/34943

Super Wammer

As I have Jan Akkerman's lute CD and have enjoyed listening to it, this thread caught my attention. I have just found an incredible lutist via Qobuz, named Robert Barto. Beautiful playing, very highly recommended.

If you're interested in exploring the lute, try Paul O' Dette. American lutenist of staggering virtuosity.

S

Just bought a couple of his discs in the past week as it happens, Kapsberger and Bach. Lovely playing.

off now to check out Gary's suggestion of Robert Barto.

I'll be checking A Varietie of Lute Lessons on Linn (potentially a good source for this area). Haven't heard this one, but like his Bach set.

Just downloaded it and playing now. Lovely recording.

S

I absolutely love this:

John Dowland - In Darkness Let Me Dwell - ECM New Series 1697

in-darkness-let-me-dwell1.jpg

Also a fan. Lindberg did a really good set of his lute music, some of which are rearrangements of his beautiful songs by the way - for which I'd recommend the DG compilation or the set sung by Bonney - absolute heaven!

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/w/34943

Hi Pete, which version were you linking to, the Peter North set or the first or second Lindberg's?

Has anyone heard Dowland's pieces for viol and lute - Lachrimae? A good recording is meant to be Hyperion XX on Auvidis Astrée.

Also his songs, like Rufus Muller's 'The first booke of songs'?

I love the fact he has a piece called 'Semper Dowland, semper dolens' - sounds like my kind of guy!

Hi Pete, which version were you linking to, the Peter North set or the first or second Lindberg's?

The only Lindberg lute recording I have is the 4 cd version on Brilliant Classics which is a reissue of his recording from '94.

Fabulous music, and perhaps my ultimate audio test recording .... most systems don't even get close to sorting out the nicely focussed and slightly set back solo lute in a somewhat reverberant church acoustic; you just hear a fuzzy blob of sound - and the rapid runs sort out the men from the boys when it comes to transient speed and resolution.

51IJyZUqiSL._SY300_.jpg

Without doubt one of my Top Ten discs. :)