spook

dCS signature sound

Hope you enjoy it!

You could always ask Rav at dCS what he would recommend.

Thanks Tony/Greg,

I have now agreed a price with the seller and so all being well I should be in possesion of it in the new year.

Whilst on the subject of firewire cables, the existing owner has suggested buying improved quality FW cables for a better sound. Is this correct? If so, any suggestions?

Cheers,

Steve.

Good suggestion Don. I'll get on it in the new year.

Best,

Steve.

Hi, my first posting here ( after some years lurking). Apologies for any errors I make as I learn how to use the forum.

I have used dCS for 16 years so I have a little experience of what does and does not work. Yes, the firewire cables make a difference. I need to warn you, though, that many Firewire cables will not work properly with dCS. This is because the chassis is too thick for the connector to mate properly with the socket. If you look at the cables that dCS supplied you will see that the connector housing has been chamfered to reduce it and to expose more of the metal so as to allow the connector and socket to mate.

I have a box full of Firewires that I am unhappy with - I'll lend you any of them so you can be unhappy too :)

Easily ( by a huge margin) the best that I have, and not excessively expensive, are Audioquest Carbon. However you will need to contact Audioquest and ask for a pair modified for dCS. Custom Cable know the ropes about this.

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the advice. And for your rare and generous offer of unhappiness! :-)

I like the idea of lots of variable settings and options although I daresay it may be a little daunting figuring it all out initially.

What are the main diffetences using FireWire? And

the pitfalls of using the less compatible ones?

Many thanks

Steve.

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the advice. And for your rare and generous offer of unhappiness! :-)

I like the idea of lots of variable settings and options although I daresay it may be a little daunting figuring it all out initially.

What are the main diffetences using FireWire? And

the pitfalls of using the less compatible ones?

Many thanks

Steve.

I am not too sure what you are going to use. Is it a Verdi /Elgar etc. stack? If so then the Firewire has no alternatives. It is used exclusively for SACD or for DSD upsampling. The sound of poor IEEE 1394s? Read the negative comments above in this thread .

For all other settings you will use either SPdif or AES/EBU. NB; I know that cable choice is not a popular subject on the Wam but the choice of the cable from transport to upsampler or DAC etc. ( depending on configuration) is also important. Happy to demonstrate why if you can make it up to South London. Ultra priced cables are not required however.

The Elgar stack has more software configuration choices than later models ( including noise shaping and types of dither). Make sure that you get the manuals as these contain "sensible" guides to combinations. Unfortunately one option that is not available with the Elgar is a combination of low bitrate (e.g. 16/44.1), no upsampling, with an asymmetric filter which is my favourite combination. You can use that filter with 176.4 or 192 upsampling on the Elgar stack however if you like. And you may not like - it is all a matter of taste. When I owned an Elgar based stack I liked to use 176.4 or 192 with filter 4. 16/44.1 to DSD conversion is OK but not my favourite although it sounds better on classical than rock IMHO.

This could get too detailed and boring for a public forum. As I am new I don't know if I can email you personally but if I can then it may be better to carry on in that way. Let me know.

Pete

I just realised that you are getting a Delius. All I have said that applies to Elgar still applies. However I can't see that you are also getting the Purcell upsampler. If not then the high sample rate options including DSD upsampling and noise shaping/dither will not be available to you.

Pete

I just realised that you are getting a Delius. All I have said that applies to Elgar still applies. However I can't see that you are also getting the Purcell upsampler. If not then the high sample rate options including DSD upsampling and noise shaping/dither will not be available to you.

Pete

Oh very good point - I completely missed that sorry!

I've had the Audio Aero Capitole. I have had dCS, and Accuphase. Also Burmester (not as good as the others, but beautiful to look at). Lots of others, too (including the Tri-Vista once, long ago, paired with a beautiful Hovland Sapphire and Hovland Preamp).

They are all pretty good. However when the dCS was paired with a clock (a Puccini, at the time, but no doubt there are updated alternatives now) it stepped well above any CDP I have heard before or since. Since you've now bought the dCS my advice would be stretch yourself to get a clock to go with it. It really is night and day. I rarely post here nowadays (but I still pay the annual contribution, James!) but I have a definite view I felt I had to offer you on this one.

Thanks for the info everyone. All that you say make sense but until I actually receive it I'm not quite sure what it all means in context. I guess half the fun will be trying to figure it all out.

From what you say I'm guessing the Purcell is a more sophisticated unit which attaches to, or replaces the delius? And I think the word clock from this era was the Verona which I can possibly purchase if I can find one.

Just keen to set it up, have a play and a listen!

Thanks and season's greetings to you all!

Steve.

Pete,

Just read your post saying DSD is not available with just the delius but the op (seller) says DSD and 24/192 is a feature. Is that right?

Steve.

However when the dCS was paired with a clock (a Puccini, at the time, but no doubt there are updated alternatives now) it stepped well above any CDP I have heard before or since. Since you've now bought the dCS my advice would be stretch yourself to get a clock to go with it.

Agree about the clock. I thought that about the Puccini and clock, but have to admit the Paganini is better :( .

Pete,

Just read your post saying DSD is not available with just the delius but the op (seller) says DSD and 24/192 is a feature. Is that right?

Steve.

The Delius DAC will accept encrypted DSD data from the Verdi transport via FireWire OR from later versions of the Purcell upsampler via FireWire. DSD from the Purcell comes from the Purcell upsampling PCM.

Pete,

Steve.

Steve,

I read the seller's "ad". He says that you can connect a computer to use >192 PCM and DSD.

The first part ( >192 PCM) is correct but you won't be able to synch it to an external clock using a normal computer which, as ronc correctly points out , is pretty fab. However it should still be good stuff by using a USB to SPdif converter ( you can't connect a computer USB output directly) .

As Nagraboy also correctly points out, the Delius will only accept dCS encrypted DSD. That means SACD from a dCS transport or upsampled PCM to DSD from a dCS sample rate converter such as the Purcell or one of the later models.

DSD via DoP (the internet standard) is only available to users of the current range with a dCS system clock and ( Paganini, Scarlatti), the Vivaldi mode option installed.

• Upvote 1