spook

dCS signature sound

For the transport i used the tri vista and ml cd transport no31 (if memory serves me correctly) which was then connected via nordost interconnects (I think it was nordost silver shadow coaxial and spm reference intterconnects).

Never heard a Wadia but the ML I used at the time sounds like it is the complete polar opposite of the esoteric you described. I would describe the ML or at least the one I had as the darker side of neutrality. Lots of body to the music as the low end was quite substantial. Very analogue sounding. Fairly detailed but I would say stuff like the emmlabs is more resolving by far.

I like my players to have quite a fair bit of detail but I always more than often than not choose cd players which have some form of colouration as I find them musically enjoyable. In the ML it was the dark presentation with the low end fun and even with my current cd player it's warm sounding cd player with a sickly sweet midrange and a bit of bass bloom in the lower end. Musically accurate they are not. Musical in my case yes.

In a straight apple to apple comparison at least from what you have posted and experiences of the dcs on my part. The dcs doesn't sound anything like a esoteric. Sure with other equipment you could get a slight varying sounds from it but I doubt you could get it to sound tonally like an esoteric unless you went with all clean/ bright sounding equpiment and cabling.

For hyperbole purposes I don't think the the DCS is a major upgrade sonically over the Accuphase you have. You would need to go a different route if you were looking for some let's say natural sounding but different to your Accuphase.

it's such a shame you live on the other side of the country to me. I could of popped my stuff round for you take a listen to. I still have the ML but at 150lbs in weight there is no way I am going to revisit the cellar to move it!:)

Hmm I'll chip in and be controversial having spent a lot of time on audiogon I'm getting the feeling that divital is moving on. Older kit is not worth the money and newer kit can defeat it at a significantly lower price. Check lampzinator for an example of this. now I can't confirm or deny but I wouldn't buy old digital gear right now. Anyway I'm going to get another beer to drown out the flames :)

Hmm I'll chip in and be controversial having spent a lot of time on audiogon I'm getting the feeling that divital is moving on. Older kit is not worth the money and newer kit can defeat it at a significantly lower price. Check lampzinator for an example of this. now I can't confirm or deny but I wouldn't buy old digital gear right now. Anyway I'm going to get another beer to drown out the flames :)

:goodone: You can add Auralic Vega, Eximus, Wyse, Calyx, Total Dac, Meitner etc etc. all modern designs that may trump older stuff.

BTW It's LampizatOr

There's certainly a big push to hype and sell new digital gear with USB, DSD etc etc. If it wasn't claimed to be better it'd be a lot harder to sell. Cheers! By the way :^

Well you could be right that digital technology is moving on but, then again, the 16 bit 44.1khz format has been around for quite some time now and I imagine it's unlikely that the progress thats been made over the last 20 years or so has been suddenly (and recently), swept aside. If so, by what?

That said, if you know of any players that have surged ahead of the pack I'd love to know who they are?

I think it is often personal as a couple of years back I read a lot of high praise for the Esoteric brand CD players. I bought one at a good price and couldn't live with it for long due to it being too harsh for my ears. But I'm sure there must be plenty out there who love them.

Just wish there was someone local with a dCS so I could at least have a taste of what's on offer.

Oh well...

Hi Steve

i used a 4 box DCS system for a few years -Delius, Verdi, Purcell and a Paganini master clock - all supplied direct by DCS who came and set it up - set up properly it sounded very good. Essential to use the dual AES sett up to get it sounding at its best - also very different sounds based on cables used - it seemed to work very well with Siltech fire wires and Golden ridge digital. Fed into a pair of Parasound JC1's via a Chapter audio Preface Plus driving Wilson Benesch Discovery's it never sounded harsh or sterile.

changed the Parasounds for a pair of Stereoknight M100' valve amps and the sound was very smoothe and detailed. As with most hifi you must listen in your own home - what you like is a very personal thing and other people's perceptions, unless you know that they like what you like can be more of a hindrance than a help.

Eventually opted to reduce the box count so I replaced it with a one box system, which whilst good couldn't really compete.

Make sure the units you are considering are FireWire versions.

Thanks Tony,

Much appreciated advice. I am having some second thoughts purely as there are so many other decent pieces of second hand kit for sale. I'm not ruling the dCs out but wfhatever I buy it will be a leap if faith as comments on all kit seem varied.

Can you clarify what you mean by the 'dual ads set up'? I'm guessing it's one of the options re .ode of operation?

Cheers,

Steve.

A friend has the Paganini system and reached the same conclusion about dual AES (fortunately not an issue for me with a one box player- excluding clock)

Essential to use the dual AES sett up to get it sounding at its best

Steve, Dual AES is one of the options for connecting the "CD Deck" to the "DAC"

Hi Steve,

Don has answered the point about dual AES and I recall that it the only option which allows you to do DSD playback - basically two digital cables to supply the additional data required for DSD

IEEE1394/Firewire cables carried encrypted DSD in the Delius and Elgar DACs prior to the Vivaldi range. I think Dual AES for DSD only came in recently with the Vivaldi stack.

IEEE1394/Firewire cables carried encrypted DSD in the Delius and Elgar DACs prior to the Vivaldi range. I think Dual AES for DSD only came in recently with the Vivaldi stack.

Memory of the cable configurations is a bit rusty but I do seem to remember that the Delius and the Purcell both had dual AES sockets and I know I used 2 Siltech FireWire cables between the stack

Memory of the cable configurations is a bit rusty but I do seem to remember that the Delius and the Purcell both had dual AES sockets and I know I used 2 Siltech FireWire cables between the stack

Dual AES was for 24/192 PCM use I think, as the single sockets were restricted to 24/96 IIRC. Two FireWire cables would probably be Verdi to Delius for SACD data and another from Purcell to Delius for outputting PCM that'd been upsampled to DSD.

Dual AES was for 24/192 PCM use I think, as the single sockets were restricted to 24/96 IIRC. Two FireWire cables would probably be Verdi to Delius for SACD data and another from Purcell to Delius for outputting PCM that'd been upsampled to DSD.

Hi Greg - yes I think you have it right- your description nudged another deep memory into focus- thank you

Thanks Tony/Greg,

I have now agreed a price with the seller and so all being well I should be in possesion of it in the new year.

Whilst on the subject of firewire cables, the existing owner has suggested buying improved quality FW cables for a better sound. Is this correct? If so, any suggestions?

Cheers,

Steve.

Thanks Tony/Greg,

I have now agreed a price with the seller and so all being well I should be in possesion of it in the new year.

Whilst on the subject of firewire cables, the existing owner has suggested buying improved quality FW cables for a better sound. Is this correct? If so, any suggestions?

Cheers,

Steve.

Hi Steve

i had excellent performance with Siltech FireWire but they can be a bit expensive unless you can find any used ones - other than that can't help you much I'm afraid - be nice to know how you get on - I couldn't believe how good the DCS kit was when I first heard mine at home!