RobsterD

Suckling Pig cooking

Got one for Xmas and was wondering if anyone has advice cooking ,flavouring etc - hope I can get it in the oven else it will be a DIY spit .

Cheers

Rob

You might consider the flavours that Gennaro Contaldo uses in his porchetta i.e. hands full of sage, thyme, rosemary, chopped garlic, salt and pepper. Rub it well into the inside surfaces then fill the body loosely with cooked chestnuts, dried apricots, breadcrumbs and chopped, fried onions. Cook it slowly under foil then, for the last 30 mins, paint honey onto the skin and let it brown. If you want crisper skin omit the honey and paint on a salt/olive oil paste but add honey to the pan juices and adjust them to make a thin gravy.

Hole in the ground works for me :^

Super Wammer

A couple of recipes here. I particularly like the Chinese style of suckling pig - the crackling is especially crisp and delicious:

http://www.foodfella.com/Writing%20Pages/suckling.html

6758791503_377fbc545f_z.jpg

Speciality of Segovia in Spain!

Young. Suckling. Spit roast.

Calling Penance. Penance to the food prep area please.

Young. Suckling. Spit roast.

Calling Penance. Penance to the food prep area please.

Good lord no.

Do you think a suckling pig would be fit for consumption after penance had finished "stuffing" it?

Good lord no.

Do you think a suckling pig would be fit for consumption after penance had finished "stuffing" it?

#

Plenty of additional seasoning John.

Actually, truth be told, and forgive me fellow meat eaters, it is by far and away not my favourite.

Far too much fat, and healthy carnivore though I am, I really don't want to see what I'm eating in the 'way it was'. I find it slightly off-putting. Sticking an apple in its mouth does not really do it for me. I am an unashamed meat eater and with family in farming, I have shot stuff, hung it and prepared it. I've also done the deed with more than one or two chickens and prepared them. However, I'm still enough of a pussy not to want to look my dinner in the face.

I'm actually not a great pork fan to be honest. Even from a really good butcher, there is an awful lot of fatty meat.

Give me a really good lean (and mahoosive) lump of lamb or beef any day.

Actually, truth be told, and forgive me fellow meat eaters, it is by far and away not my favourite.

Far too much fat, and healthy carnivore though I am, I really don't want to see what I'm eating in the 'way it was'. I find it slightly off-putting. Sticking an apple in its mouth does not really do it for me. I am an unashamed meat eater and with family in farming, I have shot stuff, hung it and prepared it. I've also done the deed with more than one or two chickens and prepared them. However, I'm still enough of a pussy not to want to look my dinner in the face.

I'm actually not a great pork fan to be honest. Even from a really good butcher, there is an awful lot of fatty meat.

Fuckin' soft cock :clout:

Interesting Richard. I find lamb just as fatty if not more than pork but with a lot of caveats I won't hijack this thread with those.

Admittedly, Lamb is my favourite red meat. Yes, it's fatty but fat is flavour and none more so than Lamb. Shoulder, breast, neck all joyously fatty and unctuous :22:

Lamb "crackling" is fantastic.