onlyconnect

Room ideas

Some thoughts. I would love to do a DSD vs PCM torture test, ie. get some DSD or SACD sources played through a "no PCM conversion" chain and compare to a PCM source or insert a PCM conversion and see if anyone could tell :-)

BUT I don't have a DSD DAC or really a suitable SACD player (and I would prefer to work with files); also I don't have an ultra high-end system so no doubt someone would say it is "not resolving enough" (whatever that means).

So I had another thought. How about a room where the focus is on music. I would run say 6 1-hour sessions (or possibly some half hour sessions) where I would play selections from one particular artist or genre, and publicise in advance so you could come to one that interests you. I wouldn't play just greatest hits but would try to find interesting but less well known works, eg for a Dylan session some Bob Dylan live in 1995, the rare mono original Canadian mix of Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands, a gem or two from Tell Tale Signs, etc.

Would it be in the spirit of the show to have a room devoted to music rather than hi-fi? Would anyone come :-)

Of course I might not get a room in which case, maybe another year, but would welcome thoughts.

Tim

You may get people to stay a while, some usually do, but a lot seem hell bent on doing every room, do you will have 5 minutes to grab their attention.

Tim, Im with Colin/DudyW on this.

Most folks are really just interested in hearing/seeing the Hi Fi on offer. Music is secondary.

Some guests will stick there heads around the door and decide in 3 seconds that they either dont like the look of the Hi Fi , or dont like the music on offer. They dont even come into the room.

A comparison of different kit would be of interest to some, but not many. Getting round as many rooms as possible and ticking boxes is the main deal.

Super Wammer

Speaking as a visitor, I agree with others here. There are so many rooms/systems to get around in the time available that I rarely spend more than 5 minutes in any of them, although if one or 2 really grab my fancy, I try to revisit them later. I would therefore say concentrate on getting the best sound that you can from your system and put on music that demonstrates the full frequency range, so that we can see what the system is capable of.

To some degree you're at the mercy of nearby rooms with loud-bass-capable systems. In my room at Scalford 2013 I found that quiet delicate music was often (but not always) drowned out by bass from below - eg. Debussy string quartets? No chance. If I was exhibiting next time, I'd bring along music that can still be enjoyed despite high background noise.

I try and have a reason for the room rather than just showing off my system as I did the first time I showed. Three years ago I showed my DIY actives, last year it was quadrophonics, and this year it'll be DIY omnidirectional loudspeakers, possibly next year a late 1950s/early 1960s mono system, or it might be something else, depending on what captures my interest.

Whatever you do, as others have said, people generally come firstly to see the kit and secondly to listen to the tunes, a very few stay if you have something they're especially interested in. With almost 50 rooms and 7 hours, that doesn't leave a lot of time per room.

One great benefit of Scalford is that with the exception of those few dealers that take a room, the rest of us aren't trying to make a living from the show, just have some fun, so we can indulge out fancies, having only ourselves to please.

S

I try and have a reason for the room rather than just showing off my system as I did the first time I showed. Three years ago I showed my DIY actives, last year it was quadrophonics, and this year it'll be DIY omnidirectional loudspeakers, possibly next year a late 1950s/early 1960s mono system, or it might be something else, depending on what captures my interest.

Whatever you do, as others have said, people generally come firstly to see the kit and secondly to listen to the tunes, a very few stay if you have something they're especially interested in. With almost 50 rooms and 7 hours, that doesn't leave a lot of time per room.

One great benefit of Scalford is that with the exception of those few dealers that take a room, the rest of us aren't trying to make a living from the show, just have some fun, so we can indulge out fancies, having only ourselves to please.

S

I really enjoyed your quadrophonics last year - took me back to my childhood when an uncle of mine had a quadophonic system on 8 track cartridge (I can see the speakers and system in my minds eye) but I'll be damned if I can remember what they were.

Why not try arranging this for the Saturday night if possible. The pace will be much more relaxed and people will have more time to stop and listen - assuming they are interested...

How about an 'adequate vs high-end' room? You could have an adequate system and a high end system and people can vote.

are you trying to suggest high-end is inadequate? :geek:

How about an 'adequate vs high-end' room? You could have an adequate system and a high end system and people can vote.

Ah yes, just like Matrix Hifi did! ;-)

http://matrixhifi.com/ENG_contenedor_ppec.htm

S