Sign in to follow this  
rockmeister

how good are downloaded tracks?

Just got converted to iTunes store and started a bit of a collection...I'm burning them onto cheapo CD's 99 for £10 from Jessops, but the quality seems less than fine. However, since I'm only downloading stuff which I don't already own, I've not really got a comparison...is it thought to be pretty good?

Ta bisc. It sounds fine for simply recorded stuff...some Jackson Browne live, with just piano and guitar sounded very good, but denser bits sounded a bit compressed/distorted at higher volumes I think..not bad at 79p a track tho, and fine for the car anyway.

rockmeister wrote:

Ta bisc. It sounds fine for simply recorded stuff...some Jackson Browne live, with just piano and guitar sounded very good, but denser bits sounded a bit compressed/distorted at higher volumes I think..not bad at 79p a track tho, and fine for the car anyway.

I record my stuff at 192 kbps and have to agree on the compression/distortion in particular at lower frequencies. Better headphones don't cure this either they just hi-light it more. I was hoping for a 60gb ipod for xmas off the wife so I could record at a higher bit rate but I think she's got me a PSP:(

Bracko wrote:

rockmeister wrote:

I record my stuff at 192 kbps and have to agree on the compression/distortion in particular at lower frequencies. Better headphones don't cure this either they just hi-light it more. I was hoping for a 60gb ipod for xmas off the wife so I could record at a higher bit rate but I think she's got me a PSP:(

shame. if she'd got you an Xbox360 you could have auctioned it on ebay on boxing day and got two 60gb ipods with the proceeds ;)

My daughter got an iPOD for her birthday last spring and have done a few downloads since. I have to say I find them muddled and very thin. Not in the least bit enjoyable. Of course you could argue that this is some hi-fi anorak speaking and that might be true in part - but then having owned a half way decent system that's the way it is.Also I think the CD writer on my PC is crap!

does this meen that I can't persuade my Mac to download the tunes at a better rate? ie, is the compression set at the iTunes store end?:Not Sure:

Ant wrote:

The PSP is supposed to sound better

Thanks for making me try to feel better Ant, the only trouble is it's not too friendly on the pocket ie it won't fit nicely in my coat and it definitely won't fit in my Bose Ipod Dock:D

The other thing is the psp just wouldn't get used as I don't have enough time to play games. I've still got my fingers crossed though and if she has got me the ipod, she's going to get some serious Bracko luvvin' :rude:

Funnilly enough I have little problem with the iPOD which is as good and generally a lot better than other MP3s - notwithstanding that the supplied headphones I find uncomfortable - music on their be it burnt from CD or downloaded is reasonably OK it's when I burn to CD from a download that it sounds crap both on the Arcam and in car for that matter.

Would I get a better result with a Mac? Less compression I understand - on the other hand just buy a CD or better still vinyl!!

I have purchased a few tracks from iTunes, I did specifically purchase Millions now living by Tortoise from iTunes.I burnt it to CD and played it on the system, it sounded like a really good album. But I just felt it was not quite right, so I got the CD.Blew it away.

Super Wammer

128kbps is what you get from Apple's iTunes store, AAC too (it ain't no MP3), plus the downloaded file comes embedded with Apple's digital rights management thing (which places restrictions on the number of times a tune can be copied...).

As an iPod user, I ripmost ofmy tunes from cd and there is a big difference between 128kbps and 256kbps (which is my choicefor compression) - very noticeable via my etymotics... and via my dock and hifi...