Sign in to follow this  
i_should_coco

Should we have an adequate-fi section?

:^

Where do you go when the world stops making sense?

I think their conference was in Wales this year.

Art of Sound.

Pink Fish surely...

I think most people underestimate the effect of room acoustics. I have heard systems sounding different in every possible way, simply as result of moving rooms.

Of course if you listen in the near field, or have horns with tightly controlled dispersion, the impact of the room is substantially reduced.

Since WE, we've managed to make product that is smaller, cheaper, goes louder and has greater bandwidth. The first two were essential if people are going to enjoy high fidelity in a domestic setting.

What's amusing to me is how we audio nuts fanny about over trivial potentially inaudible differences, chase ever increasing levels of distortion, whilst we often ignore the arbiters of truth that differentiate true fidelity from faux realism.

Damn I have to agree with you.

Oh and I have one of those Tascam DA-3000 lightshow AD/DAC things that comes with a manual about an inch thick. Not sure about it, it's getting more accurate and "adequate" the longer I leave it on. Like the flashing lights though, very 1980's.

Careful Bob, that's dangerous stuff you are messing with. Pro gear has the potential to start you off on the slippery slope to Sergedom.

I think most people underestimate the effect of room acoustics. I have heard systems sounding different in every possible way, simply as result of moving rooms.

Of course if you listen in the near field, or have horns with tightly controlled dispersion, the impact of the room is substantially reduced.

Since WE, we've managed to make product that is smaller, cheaper, goes louder and has greater bandwidth. The first two were essential if people are going to enjoy high fidelity in a domestic setting.

What's amusing to me is how we audio nuts fanny about over trivial potentially inaudible differences, chase ever increasing levels of distortion, whilst we often ignore the arbiters of truth that differentiate true fidelity from faux realism.

That's why I can't understand the enthusiasm for electronics that bugger the signal about. The speakers and room are trouble enough...

I wonder how long it'll be before someone makes a self-calibrating speaker? It must be technologically feasible now to make active speakers with enough built in digital processing power to calibrate themselves to a room via a frequency sweep.

That's why I can't understand the enthusiasm for electronics that bugger the signal about. The speakers and room are trouble enough...

I wonder how long it'll be before someone makes a self-calibrating speaker? It must be technologically feasible now to make active speakers with enough built in digital processing power to calibrate themselves to a room via a frequency sweep.

Where's the fun in that? :-)

And the reason you can't understand it is the same reason a lot of my friends wonder why I spend more than £50 on a means to listen to music- because we are all different, and if we weren't life would be boring as hell

Careful Bob, that's dangerous stuff you are messing with. Pro gear has the potential to start you off on the slippery slope to Sergedom.

Surely you mean the Sergegeddon.

A lot of AV gear already does exactly that, including standalone "speakers" such as soundbars.

No chance.

So far it's new flashy pro AD/DAC 0 - 1 Old vintage shiny thing DAC. But, I'll give it a couple of weeks to see if it cuts the mustard.

Not far off at all.

Many Active Subs do it already and generally its the Bass frequencies that cause the most In-Room problems.

You really need to feed it from the USB slot IME. And preferably with some decent DSD files. Perfectly good enough for me anyway - remember I recommend it as a vinyl archiving tool. I use Devialet amplification.

How much was a DAX Discrete when new?

I believe the B&O Beolab speakers have their own microphone that folds out,Dalek like!

Keith.