Sign in to follow this  
i_should_coco

Should we have an adequate-fi section?

For those who aspire to adequate reproduction?

I do wonder why on an enthusiasts forum some people come to try and convince everyone that they should just be happy with something adequate? It's like someone turning up on a sportscar forum and telling everyone that a 1.6 Ford Focus is the way to go. Why do you want to do that? :dunno:

• Upvote 1

What more like "HiFi Bivouac?"

It's just the anankastic, Aspergers, autistic way. They can't help but only focus on the figures and statistics, at the cost of all subjective emotional factors because these latter things are less important to them than with the average person.

That's compounded by their inability to grasp the idea of different people having differenct perspectives. They can't easily see any other view but their own, so keep repeating themselves incredulously. They do make good air traffic controllers though :^

• Upvote 1

It's just the anankastic, Aspergers, autistic way. They can't help but only focus on the figures and statistics, at the cost of all subjective emotional factors because these latter things are less important to them than with the average person. That's compounded by their inability to grasp the idea of different people having differenct perspectives. They can't easily see any other view but their own, so keep repeating themselves incredulously. The do make good air traffic controllers though :^

Lol, the only air traffic controller I know, who is a wammer, isn't like that at all!

:shock: we have someone who can hold down a responsible job!

Lol, the only air traffic controller I know, who is a wammer, isn't like that at all!

:D Just an example I was once given by a senior psychiatrist I met.

- - - Updated - - -

:shock: we have someone who can hold down a responsible job!

I there were a mid-air collision he'd be 'responsible' for that too :^

As a dedicated measurist, I resemble these remarks.

For those who aspire to adequate reproduction?

I do wonder why on an enthusiasts forum some people come to try and convince everyone that they should just be happy with something adequate? It's like someone turning up on a sportscar forum and telling everyone that a 1.6 Ford Focus is the way to go. Why do you want to do that? :dunno:

I thought we had, as everything seems to measure around the same, sound sort of the same, and cause minor rucks to around the same level, adequate seems to cover it.

Maybe James should put up a thread announcing that most hi-fi is adequate and we can all go home now and bitch about cameras, fishing tackle or coffee machines instead? :?

It is all relative, I used to own a rare exotic expensive cartridge which was rarely spotted on the wam.

I still have it, although now it is barely adequate amongst all it's even more exotic and rarified family members that have taken up residence on the forum! :)

'Barely adequate'?

I aspire to such heights of achievement.

Adequate, as in 'good enough', requires there to be a standard against which adequacy is judged. My standard is sonic transparency. Once that's achieved, there's nowhere else to go, it's perfection.

Others have different standards, different requirements, but I do wonder if all the box-swapping and endless tweaking that seems to go on is indicative of never achieving adequacy, never meeting their own standards.

So who is the happier, someone like me, satisfied with having reached their destination, or someone endlessly travelling with no hope of ever arriving as the destination is constantly changing?

S