Sign in to follow this  
josh

Joni Mitchell - most influential/'best' albums

Like my Prince thread, I’ve also been meaning to get to grips with JM's oeuvre for a while, but with a somewhat extensive discography, I'm not sure where to start.

Are there any albums of hers that are generally considered to be her best or most significant/important/influential? I'm not talking about the ones you like the most personally, but that are generally held in high regard.

Thanks,

Josh

Her 70's output from 'Blue' to 'Mingus' were all key recordings. She became very adept at finding excellent session musicians as she moved away from guitar to piano based performances. I have all of these recordings on record but I couldn't resist this box set which is excellent value for money and coversthe whole of the era I like most.

Blue and Ladies of The Canyon remain my favourites by several country miles.

Blue is in my top ten albums of all time by anyone and would be a desert island choice.

Super Wammer

Blue, Hejira, Court and spark, Don Juan Reckless daughter, Hissing of summer lawns .

Her golden run is Court and Spark, The Hissing of Summer Lawns, Hejira and Don Juan's Reckless Daughter.

I'd personally leave off Blue and would prefer to add Mingus.

The Hissing Of Summer Lawns is my fave.

This.

Musical, lyrical, beautifully produced and with an atmosphere like few others.

Stunningly good album, no matter what your taste. Some moments of utter and complete magic.

Thanks guys, and Ian for the link - I'll probably get that set as it covers all the albums everyone recommends here.

It's interesting that like Bowie and Neil Young and other artists that came to prominence in the 70s but have continued producing until today, that was their best decade.

Blue, Hejira, Court and spark, Don Juan Reckless daughter, Hissing of summer lawns .

Great choices, I would add "Shadows and light" a great live album plus the 2000 release of "Both sides now" Her voice was fairly wrecked for this but her re interpretation of the title track and "A case of you" is heartbreakingly good.

Blue is in my top ten albums of all time by anyone and would be a desert island choice.

Same here. I also really like Hejira and Hissing of Summer Lawns.

Same here. I also really like Hejira and Hissing of Summer Lawns.

Me too.

Cheers BB

Hejira I guess but I also really like Don Juan......

Her golden run is Court and Spark, The Hissing of Summer Lawns, Hejira and Don Juan's Reckless Daughter.

I'd personally leave off Blue and would prefer to add Mingus.

This ^ plus the excellent live double album Shadows and Light