Sign in to follow this  
Popey

Christmas puddings

Anyone making their own this year? I had a go at the recipe in Delia Smith's Christmas recipe book earlier in the week. Rather than make two large puddings, I opted for 8 individual ones.

Rather than steaming them for three hours, I used a pressure cooker. I came a bit too close to boiling it dry - so I must make sure I put more water in it next time! They are very good (well it would have been rude not to try one).

Hopefully, the remainder will mature nicely between now and Christmas day.

We usually do the same as you Bob. But I had the time on my hands and fancied a go this year. Very satisfying.

Just made my mixture last Sunday and they're steaming now after a few days chillaxing in the fridge.

I always end up using Gary Rhodes recipe, with an extra helping of dried cranberries in there to boot.

That said, bob's is a sound plan - it's only the romance of making one that appeals

We don't plan to do one this year. Or buy one for that matter. With it only being the two of us and no-one else to bother about on Xmas Day, it's pointless. I think it was May before we got around to last years.

We have plenty of Xmas cake for visitors but they seldom get any because we generally force feed them alcohol and they are usually too drunk to bother :^

Super Wammer
Just made my mixture last Sunday and they're steaming now after a few days chillaxing in the fridge.

I always end up using Gary Rhodes recipe, with an extra helping of dried cranberries in there to boot.

That said, bob's is a sound plan - it's only the romance of making one that appeals

I aways used Gary Rhodes recipe too when I made my own.... 6 hrs steaming in Sept followed by another 2 hrs in Dec produced wonderfull puds

I'm fortunate as my brother always makes us one following my gran's old recipe. Steamed for around 5 hours yesterday, will top up with brandy a couple of times before Christmas Day.

I normally microwave on the day, much easier and I haven't been able to tell the difference.

Can't beat a home made Pud. :^

I dont do xmas pud. Will make choc pots for me and the girls or cheescake

Mrs. B made ours about 4 weeks ago and they're sitting, maturing in the kitchen taunting me. The recipe is her mother's and I have genuinely never tasted a better one.