The Beat

Wammers Album Club Tues 25th Nov , Corduroy - Dad Man Cat

Yeah?  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If I could have a soundtrack to life I'd choose this. It plays like a film soundtrack and I just love it. Not sure why I picked it up as it was nothing like what I listened to at the time but I've loved it ever since. This album was released on the Acid Jazz label and I don't actually know if this is a genre or just a label (maybe someone can enlighten me). It all seems a bit of a piss-take but I think their playing is spot on. Not sure if anyone I know has actually enjoyed it when I've played it but here goes anyway....

From Wiki:

Corduroy were a four-piece acid jazz outfit based in London, formed around twins Ben Addison (drums/vocals) and Scott Addison (keyboards/vocals), who were previously in Sire Records act Boys Wonder (Scott had been guitarist with Boys Wonder, while Ben had been the lead vocalist).[1] Joining the twins in the band were Richard Searle and guitarist Simon Nelson-Smith. Searle had been bass player with Doctor and the Medics, who topped the UK Singles Chart in 1986 with acover version of "Spirit in the Sky". Searle had joined the Addison twins in the final incarnation of Boys Wonder, before the band gradually evolved into Corduroy in 1991, initially forming for a one-off New Year's Eve party.

The self-dubbed "fabric four" primarily recorded in a film soundtrack style, and many of their tracks were instrumentals. On the release of their first album Dad Man Cat, Paul Moody wrote in the New Musical Express: “Whereas the rest of the Acid Jazz roster fidget around in a world of skinny ribbed roll-necks comparing sideburn growth, Corduroy manage to swagger through the same po-faced domain with a couldn’t-care-less braggadocio... Corduroy have got their collective tongue stuck firmly in someone else’s cheek here and it feels staggeringly good.”

Spotify link is actually for a best of album that I think has all of their albums on, but the first 12 songs are Dad Man Cat:

https://play.spotify.com/album/0VyuiOQNaHaf4M3H1sQkeO

Video which I think sums up their style nicely:

[video=youtube;YOiNLqD6njU]

<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/d45d5795/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/d45d5795/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

• Upvote 1

Enjoyed the video :^

:?

A possible Hmm?

Has the WAC gone all Austin Powers, I wonder? We shall see...

I've never seen it so you can let me know.

Enjoyed the video :^

Nice one. It probably has limited appeal but as I only came across it by chance, and have listened to it ever since, I thought I'd share.

Soul-jazz!

So that's what you call it! Thanks.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/b5ca2f38/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/b5ca2f38/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Sounds like a pastiche of 70s jazz funk and 60s swinging London. Can maybe even hear a hint of some proggy Canterbury influences if you listen really hard. :dunno:

Being positive, it's clearly fun, upbeat music and well played. Being negative, I think we get the idea after about two tracks. It's limited. Limited in terms of sounds and ideas, and there's nothing new of either.

Maybe not ideal for a Monday morning. Will try again later.

The songs are also on Deezer on the compilation album Very Yeah, as on Spotify Dad Man Cat is the first 12 songs.

1396591578_cover.jpg

http://www.deezer.com/album/6947659

:Tumble: indeed. Death by Corduroy? And the WAC was doing so well recently... ;-)

I enjoyed it more on further listens. It's groovy and skilfully done.

At best, can hear echoes of 70s Miles or funky prog, at worst, can hear cheesy 60s easy listening.

I imagine if this was a genuine 70s lost classic, the original LP would be worth a fortune. But the trouble is that it's a clever 90s pastiche. And there isn't really enough ideas to sustain an album. I did get a bit "ok, heard enough" by the end. Though I'm sure it would go down a treat at a hipster party in Shoreditch.

So it's good within its limits, but those limits mean it could never be great.

I like it, very enjoyable listening, some bits sound familiar.

Track 4 "How to Steal the World", 20 secs in , what TV series is that from ?

***Attention***Attention***Attention***

***This is the only review that is important. My opinion is sacrosanct***

This album is very enjoyable. Yes, it's cheesy and a pastiche but God it's fun !!! Very well constructed tunes and excellent performances. While it's a lot simpler than my usual stuff with complex rhythms, I found myself tapping my feet uncontrollably. It didn't go on too long either. With enough variation to make the next track compelling.

I say it's cheesy but it's no cheesier than some of Lee Ritenour's albums that I own and I really enjoy the "60/70s Police Drama" soundtrack.

Will I play this beyond the realm of WAC ? Absolutely :^.

Great choice Paul.

***Attention***Attention***Attention***

***This is the only review that is important. My opinion is sacrosanct***

This album is very enjoyable. Yes, it's cheesy and a pastiche but God it's fun !!! Very well constructed tunes and excellent performances. While it's a lot simpler than my usual stuff with complex rhythms, I found myself tapping my feet uncontrollably. It didn't go on too long either. With enough variation to make the next track compelling.

I say it's cheesy but it's no cheesier than some of Lee Ritenour's albums that I own and I really enjoy the "60/70s Police Drama" soundtrack.

Will I play this beyond the realm of WAC ? Absolutely :^.

Great choice Paul.

Must be something about the beer this month! :D