mosfet

Progressive and experimental today

Suggestions for progressive and experimental music today? (or from recent years).

My idea of progressive music is any music which pushes at the edges to create new sounds and styles particularly through the way it is played and performed or through composition. It means some spark of original musical thinking. I mentioned djent on the prog thread as an example of what I think of as progressive today.

There must be more. The great and the good of the wam can’t all be listening to jazz, blues, indie, singer-songwriter stuff and dad rock. Spec me some progressive electronic music because I’m way behind on this. Or indeed any other suggestions.

ER (jazz but crazed...)

[video=youtube;hYqBsXMmR4Q]

Those crazy jazzers are progressive and thinking outside of the box and much as I’ve tried to get it I can’t get on with the dissonance, it doesn’t resolve, musically, and this always leaves me feeling a little edgy and uncomfortable listening to it.

Swans are a band I listened to way back when I was into American post punk bands mostly on SST records. It’s good, I’ll be looking up the CD you mention. :^

ER2, both with Buckethead and Bernie Worrell and Brain - 2nd one is a whole album of funky oddness...

ER2, both with Buckethead and Bernie Worrell and Brain - 2nd one is a whole album of funky oddness...

That’s a supergroup of right out there-ness. Buckethead is a blinkin' genius.

[video=youtube;EvZAvlFsM-k]

Listening to The Knife now, not sure what to make of this yet. Which is good.

Try any of these guys, Brilliant! Between them I have ten of their albums......

Nils Petter Molvaer ..... Erik Truffaz ..... Manu Katche ..... Moritz Van Oswald...

Should keep you busy for a while... :^

I dunno if being around for 25 years qualifies as recent but Tortoise are worth a listen:

Blockhead has had some good tracks:

You mention djent. Tosin Abasi's Animals as Leaders are doing some interesting things in progressive instrumental metal:

Some more good suggestions. Ta.

Animals as Leaders are among the best guitar based contemporary prog happening at the moment I think. Anyone who thinks Porcupine Tree is contemporary prog rock should take a listen.

If you like a bit of ambient.

[video=youtube;Cu-ihs4BkAs]

And some more ambient.. One of my favourite albums from the past decade.

Stars of the Lid.

[video=youtube;et_lDyRymrw]

Carlos Cipa

Saffronkeira

Sebastian Plano

Alvaret Ensemble

The Samuel Jackson Five

Click on any of those and that should keep you busy for a while. Over the past couple of years I have found Denovali to be the most forward thinking label in terms of music of any interest.

Carlos Cipa

Saffronkeira

Sebastian Plano

Alvaret Ensemble

The Samuel Jackson Five

Click on any of those and that should keep you busy for a while. Over the past couple of years I have found Denovali to be the most forward thinking label in terms of music of any interest.

Yep, I like these a lot. It’s very sparse sounding music. The Alvaret Ensemble reminded me straight away of mogwai during their quieter moments, I like.

I skipped through the Tim Hecker album, needs to be listened to from start to finish.