myrman

Wammers Album Club Tues 18th Nov - Counting Crows - August and Everything After

Rate this album  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Great album, I've had some funny looks walking along with earphones in, singing " Maria came from Nashville with a suitcase in her hand, she said she'd like to meet a boy who looks like Elvis" , it's not the best song on the album but that line grabs me every time. And where did those 20 years go ?.

I have this and a decent album. Bit AOR-ish, but good melodies.

Not a masterpiece, but certainly an album I can listen to and enjoy.

I see on Spotify that related artists include Hootie and the Blowfish and REM and I reckon a mix of those is a pretty good summation of this sound.

Having a quick skip through and it's very familiar, despite not hearing it for along time. Plenty of memorable songs. 'Anna Begins' is very good song.

I suppose it is very 'generation x' music. I'd say quite a slick melancholia. Using a couple of other generation x touchstones, it feels more Friends than Nirvana.

I now have the fear :nerves:

A WAC album my wife will happily listen to. She often puts this on when she has control of the hifi. It doesn't make my brain bleed but can't say it does very much for me. I thought only 30 year old women listened to this these days tbh I'm sure she'll jump at the chance to listen to this and I'll try to hold my attention and not wander off and do something else :P

I have been introduced to this recently (coco san), kind of escaped me at the time. I think it sounds a little old fasioned now but is a solid and nicely melodic album, not a bad track on it really. I have room for this sort of thing... :^

Super Wammer

One of my favourite bands and album. I was going to choose this for my turn :doh:

It is middle of the road-ish and it can get a bit dull if you're not in the mood, but I enjoyed revisiting this.

They took REM-ish indie music, gave it some AOR polish and the result is a very nice album.

First track not too hot, picks up for 'Omaha' (great intro) and there's a run of strong songs pretty much till the end of the album. In fact, I'd probably rate track 1 as the worst track.

It's not a timeless classic like yer early REM albums and not an album with great substance or artistic merit, but I find it hard not to like.

Easy listening for the slacker generation.

Despite what the OP says a band that have passed me bye. I've ordered the CD.

Super Wammer

Listening for the third time now. I see the REM thingy - I don't think much of REM. Having said that, it seems ok, although I'm thinking it's something that I'll need to be in the right mood for.

I also have This Desert Life. Only remembered while Spotifying it this morning. Also a good album and I think I prefer it to this. Enjoyed listening to it again too.

Good to see some of you enjoying it :^ Even if just 2 of you liked it it will have gone down better than my choice last year :D

I never really got on with Desert Life Noty. There are some good tracks on Recovering the Satellites but as a complete album August is by far my favourite.

This is what I thought as I listened to this:

Hmmm. Inoffensive. Bland. Bit tedious. Still dull. Almost, for a very brief moment. I'll bet these mateys wear cardigans in a slightly smelly material. Do they ever get going??

Do they only ever use the proscribed Americana chord progressions? And have they ever danced? For fuck's sake, this is dull. Oop - another promising start ruined. Finally, the last track, and it's got the drummer from the Roses on it! Still ruined by that miserable dready bloke.

In other words, I was bored. Not quite as bored as the day I had to drill a 12" hole through a 3' stone rubble wall, but not far behind.

Unsurprisingly this isn't my kind of thang at all, so it gets a well-deserved 1* from me!

I also have This Desert Life. Only remembered while Spotifying it this morning. Also a good album and I think I prefer it to this. Enjoyed listening to it again too.

Only played this for the first time in years a couple days ago .

I also have Desert Life , prefer August as a complete album . Some tracks on Hard Candy i really like too.

Gets a thumbs up from me. :^Though i am someone who's not looking for anything deep and meaningful with my music . Its just pop music guys !

I couldn't find my CD (see earlier post) so listened on Spotify. Sorry but I found it to be pleasant and inoffensive but instantly forgettable. :nerves: