myrman

Wammers Album Club Tues 18th Nov - Counting Crows - August and Everything After

Rate this album  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Back in 1993 the California based band Counting Crows released their debut album August and Everything After an album that they have never managed to equal let alone surpass imo. I'm sure you are all familiar with this but it may have been a while since you have had a listen. There are 11 beautifully crafted songs here underpinned with a real sense of melancholy. From the opening notes of Round Here the tone is set and slowly draws you in. There are so many wonderful lyrics on this album that are beautifully portrayed in the emotional performance of Adam Duritz's vocals, all this is backed up with some fine musicianship making this one of my favourite albums.

613a07c24562e22d58e50c28f74fd48789bd0b2e.jpg

"This isn't love, because if you don't wanna talk about it, it isn't love, and I guess I'm gonna have to live with that." - Anna Begins

[video=youtube;_2_slb0zqv8]

"Step out the front door like a ghost into the fog where no one notices the contrast of white on white" - Round Here

Spotify

Grooveshark

Looking forward to checking this out as this will be a new one for me. :^

I have this and a decent album. Bit AOR-ish, but good melodies.

Not a masterpiece, but certainly an album I can listen to and enjoy.

I see on Spotify that related artists include Hootie and the Blowfish and REM and I reckon a mix of those is a pretty good summation of this sound.

Having a quick skip through and it's very familiar, despite not hearing it for along time. Plenty of memorable songs. 'Anna Begins' is very good song.

I think that I have this somewhere. It's so long since it was last played that I can't remember anything at all about it, not that I'm suggesting that it is instantly forgettable.;-)

Looking forward to checking this out as this will be a new one for me. :^

ditto

My probs with this stuff is that, even if I am feeling melancholic, I don't feel my melancholy like this.

But happy to tune in and see if I find a connection:)

Super Wammer

Heard of them, not sure I've heard anything by them. Open mind assured :^

My probs with this stuff is that, even if I am feeling melancholic, I don't feel my melancholy like this.

But happy to tune in and see if I find a connection:)

I suppose it is very 'generation x' music. I'd say quite a slick melancholia. Using a couple of other generation x touchstones, it feels more Friends than Nirvana.

Notty you're really sellin' this to me :doh: