fred sonnen

Sugden owners club

Used to own the Masterclass IA4 intigrated, really did love this amp, particularly vocals, but it just couldn't grip base notes of my Harbeths in my small listening room

I have a question about the wooden sleeved original A21, I noticed that the input dial on the back of the amp is set at 250v and wondered if this is the norm.  It's been in use for a couple of years and sounds fantastic but thought I had better check. 

On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 18:03, Lionheart-uk said:

I have a question about the wooden sleeved original A21, I noticed that the input dial on the back of the amp is set at 250v and wondered if this is the norm.  It's been in use for a couple of years and sounds fantastic but thought I had better check. 

to harmonise with europe, officially uk voltage is 230v plus or minus 10%. In reality it is 240v plus or minus 6%. . So 250v is a safe setting for the Sugden as it wont overload, though I suspect it will be perfectly fine on 240v setting. 

the above assumes you are running off the mains and not a power regenerator which will output a constant voltage.

graham

On 01/07/2017 at 22:19, whitehart said:

Used to own the Masterclass IA4 intigrated, really did love this amp, particularly vocals, but it just couldn't grip base notes of my Harbeths in my small listening room

The older Masterclass integrateds had numerous things going for them, but the bottom end wasn't one of them. I owned one a long time ago, but it did tend to sound  like it had overdone the steroids a bit. In truth, the a21, speakers allowing, is a better amp.

Having said that, someone whose ears I trust implicitly tells me the current generation Masterclass is a far superior amplifier, albeit on the wrong side of five grand.

Mind you, it looks cool as f*** in the 'stealth/none more black' livery.

Edited by notevenclose

13 minutes ago, notevenclose said:

The older Masterclass integrateds had numerous things going for them, but the bottom end wasn't one of them. I owned one a long time ago, but it did tend to sound  like it had overdone the steroids a bit. In truth, the a21, speakers allowing, is a better amp.

Having said that, someone whose ears I trust implicitly tells me the current generation Masterclass is a far superior amplifier, albeit on the wrong side of five grand.

Mind you, it looks cool as f*** in the 'stealth/none more black' livery.

I had one a few years ago as well , bottom of the page below.

Looking back I agree, I should never have got rid of my a21A :(.

2 hours ago, lower bullens said:

I had one a few years ago as well , bottom of the page below.

Looking back I agree, I should never have got rid of my a21A :(.

I think there are a few of us who made the same mistake. .... 😢

On 12/08/2018 at 18:03, Lionheart-uk said:

to harmonise with europe, officially uk voltage is 230v plus or minus 10%. In reality it is 240v plus or minus 6%. . So 250v is a safe setting for the Sugden as it wont overload, though I suspect it will be perfectly fine on 240v setting. 

the above assumes you are running off the mains and not a power regenerator which will output a constant voltage.

graham

Hi Graham, Thanks for taking the time to reply to my query and putting my mind at rest, it's appreciated 

any sugden owners tried the new ANV -50 ? 

The Masterclass ANV-50 is a new integrated amplifier released to celebrate Sugden Audio’s fiftieth anniversary.

It is a unique design with many innovative features and specially developed audio circuits.

In 1967 Sugden released the world’s first solid state pure class A amplifier, the A21.  The ANV-50 promises to revisit this golden age of British audio engineering, with a design focused on the demands and preferences of today’s audio enthusiast and music lover.

The ANV-50 has at its heart, a pure class A amplifier and this is coupled to an advanced ‘ideal’ final output stage.  This unique two stage amplification system guarantees our signature pure class A sound, with the ability to drive the vast majority of loudspeaker systems.

https://www.sugdenaudio.com/anv-50-integrated-amplifier

if there are any a21se users who have upgraded it would be good to hear your thoughts , i am a bit curious why its lighter 

• Like 1

Back in the Sugden camp.. probably one of my favourite amps of all time!

652D2C1D-6C46-44A3-B9B1-CCCD66EE65A5.jpeg

• Like 1

On 21/08/2018 at 13:33, Lionheart-uk said:
  On 12/08/2018 at 18:03, Lionheart-uk said:

graham

Hi Graham, Thanks for taking the time to reply to my query and putting my mind at rest, it's appreciated 

To Harmonise With Europe Regulations? Hilarious :)

I will perhaps try a Sugden amp one day, though perhaps not the A21SE, I've seen one and it was quite warm hey.

Dealer
On ‎01‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 22:19, whitehart said:

but it just couldn't grip base notes of my Harbeths in my small listening room

You should try the new Masterclass ANV-50 :)

Dealer
On ‎08‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 19:29, hifinutt said:

any sugden owners tried the new ANV -50 ? 

The Masterclass ANV-50 is a new integrated amplifier released to celebrate Sugden Audio’s fiftieth anniversary.

It is a unique design with many innovative features and specially developed audio circuits.

In 1967 Sugden released the world’s first solid state pure class A amplifier, the A21.  The ANV-50 promises to revisit this golden age of British audio engineering, with a design focused on the demands and preferences of today’s audio enthusiast and music lover.

The ANV-50 has at its heart, a pure class A amplifier and this is coupled to an advanced ‘ideal’ final output stage.  This unique two stage amplification system guarantees our signature pure class A sound, with the ability to drive the vast majority of loudspeaker systems.

https://www.sugdenaudio.com/anv-50-integrated-amplifier

if there are any a21se users who have upgraded it would be good to hear your thoughts , i am a bit curious why its lighter 

Masterclass ANV-50 is my go to amp :)

The ANV-50 power output module is a unique design with high current capabilities. Because there is no current limiting it can drive a 1 Ohm load with a flat frequency response from 10Hz – 100 kHz. The power supplies have short circuit protection and no electrolytic capacitors to degrade over time.

No photo description available.

It's light because it has a switching power supply - extremely unusual for class-A.  Most amps with switching power supplies (Linn, Chord, Devialet) I detest with a vengeance.  Has Sugden finally made one sound not awful? :?

I had an IA4, wonder how they compare?

• Like 1

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, Millennium said:

To Harmonise With Europe Regulations? Hilarious.

Hilarious perhaps, but that is what happened. They just fudged the allowed voltage to fit what was there. 

33 minutes ago, Musicraft said:

Masterclass ANV-50 is my go to amp

Interesting. I have always had a soft spot for Sugden amps after having an A48 Mk1 from new many many years ago. 

Been using the a21se for couple of weeks with my very sensitive horns .seismic bass, tremendous separation of instruments , very low noise floor  . Certainly better than the sn2 I had which Costs  the same. Would not call it warm , it's quite fast and ruthless with poor recordings. Overall I enjoyed the exhilarating ride but it's just a bit too much !!