fred sonnen

Sugden owners club

an old traditional British company ;-)

Today I own a DTFM Tuner. I know there exists just a few and I am proud to be one of those.

The DTFM is technically certainly not one of the best. But one of the best sounding ;-)

Now I am looking for an AU51c Pre with the au51cs PSU.

regards

F.S.

Quick snap of my Sugden Masterclass Phono Pre and rather battered T28 tuner;

DSCF5370_zps8d79fb3b.jpg

Always thought the art deco looks of the older Masterclass were superb, but I suspect this unit is shortly to be consigned to the classifieds - bought initially for its three inputs (1 MM & 2 MC) and ability to add loading plugs, but got a change in LP replay planned.

As for the T28, well it looks like a refugee from a skip, but it does actually sound good, but I keep looking at it thinking I could better use some of the parts (selector switch) in a few projects I need to finish :P

Paul

This little beauty has come to visit recently, and's a definite keeper. More flesh on the bones than other solid state I've heard.

Thanks @Tozen for the photo.

DSC_0022.jpg

Super Wammer
Did Sugden do a Stemfoort partnership during the 90's? I seem to recall a solid sounding amp from that period that a mate had on trial.

I have a Sugden Stemfoort CD Transport and Dac with the double crown 1541 chipset

I thought Stemfoort was actually just a different name that Sugden were using to sell overseas, as opposed to a partnership? Maybe not. Have been tempted to grab one of the amps, as I see them for sale from time to time.

I'm a big Sugden fan, though my budget has never yet allowed me to try out any of the Masterclass range. Can't say I'm bothered though - the sound of what I have, keeps me very happy. I have an A21a and an A21aP bi-amping my SD Acoustics SD1s in the living room, an A48ii running SD Acoustics OBS-Rs in the conservatory, and an A25 running Royd Sintras in the kitchen/dining room. I love the sound of Sugden amps. I do hear other stuff I like, but nothing that ever makes me feel I want to change anything. And I really rate the company themselves, their ethos and general vibe.

I've owned three A21s over the years. Two were the A21a, which is a cracking amplifier., one of which I had paired with some Harbeth P3 speakers, which TBH is a combination I could happily live with anytime, and certainly should have kept ... a brilliant small room system. The third amp I found in Bedford Cash Convertors in the mid 90s, and was an original A21 with wooden side cheeks. The sound was somewhat 'vintage', probably needing a re-cap to give of its best. It sticks in my mind as the only bit of hifi I have ever actually made a significant profit on ... tripling my money, bought for £30, sold for £90. The other rather amazing thing was sending a letter to Sugden world HQ (Heckmondwike) with the serial number of my amp, asking about its age, and getting a personal reply from the MD giving me chapter and verse about the history of the A21 and a photocopy of the production record for my particular amp. Fabulous company, which impresses simply by surviving all these years when all around in the UK were either failing or heading East.

http://www.hifi-forsale.co.uk/images/large_images/2629_1.jpg

I had a pair of these driving Mission 770 via an Elite 600c Pre. very good

I was at Sugdens recently to have some work done on my amp, they were great as always and we got chatting about many things including a few things i probably shouldn't say. :zip:

However one thing has stuck in my mind, pictured earlier in this thread the fabulous Musicmaster, regarded by many as the best Sugden amp ever and there one was in their demo room at my feet so to speak. So i asked where do they rate it in the scheme of things Sugden?

The answer was it was very very good but no one bought it.

The best? The Masterclass Power amp, yes power amp. Now i know a bit about Sugdens past and present, and i was a little puzzled because i'd never heard of it. Yes it's a current model and i guess the point of this story is when it comes to advertising Sugden are shall we say rather coy.

He did admit to having an A21a at home though. :)

He did admit to having an A21a at home though. :)

Presumably it was Patrick, I bought his 12wpc a21 off him a couple of years ago. Often wondered what he replaced it with. :)

A cracking company to deal with, I've certainly felt like ' one of the family ' when visiting and not a walking wallet.

Super Wammer

I do not have any Sugden at the moment but have probably had all the above at one time or another. I have never owned but have heard on many occasions the Music Master which is an incredible low power amp if your speakers are sensitive enough.

I had a full Masterclass Phono, pre, mono powers (x 4 :doh:) at one stage.

Currently impatiently awaiting another pair of monos of the "including a few things i probably shouldn't say. :zip:" ilk which Paul probably saw being built. Watch this space.

changes where external

I have only ever used Suggies, having bought my A48II from Brady´s in 1975 (?), then I had an A21a and now my A21SE. Each quite different from the other two but people seem to think that Sugden are a sort of SS valve amp substitute. Maybe the A48 was a bit like old valve amps but the other two certainly aren´t. I live abroad and value most highly the way they just get on with it, at most needing a new volume pot now and again.

Have owned the A21a and A21a2 with Proac response 1sc which is a fantastic combo. Also owned the Mystro integrated for a while and thought it was a good option as a step into sugden ownership.

Couldn't get on with the A21SE though, thought it doesn't have the transparency of the A21a2