Sign in to follow this  
Beobloke

'Audiophile' components - a cautionary tale...

Oh good grief... :doh:

The main circuitry is based on plug-in PCBs. Swapping these around showed that only one board was actually working anywhere near properly, consequently there was a damn sight more than "1 capacitor had failed or dried up, or even a dry joint".

Plus, I think I may have mentioned that every single one of those pictured capacitors is duff. Kaput. Knackered. Not working. Dead. They have ceased to be; they have shuffled off this mortal coil. They are ex-capacitors. 108 weren't changed just for the hell of it, I can assure you!

Maybe they were just pining for the fjords:?

Super Wammer

One thing you can be sure of though, it would definitely go "voom" if you put 5000 volts through it !

k

Actually, now you come to mention it, one or two were nailed to the PCBs...

Super Wammer

Just a question and only so I understand things a little better so please do not get upset. Can I check the removed capcitors you have shown which are of the alleged "Audiophile" type were these all original compnents installed by Yamaha or an after market DIY replacement at some time ? I know that might be difficult to say with certainty but would help me understand the full story. If factory fitted then they are all 27 years old and may have been badly treated does not excuse the fact they have all failed but there is that. If added at some later time then the chance they are not the real component is a possibility. Whatever the truth I must admit that this would make me even less likely to opt for so call expensive electrolitics. Film caps seem a little better but that just opens another can of worms.

As far as I can determine, they are the original components. The PCBs are all double-sided which makes component removal trickier and leaves behind much more obvious signs if someone has been there beforehand - there were none. They are all the correct capacitance value (well, presumably they were originally!) according to the circuit diagram and they are all the correct voltage rating.

Finally, whilst I understand the earlier points made about fakes, this was somewhat less of an issue in 1987 than it has become in recent years...

Oh good grief... :doh:

The main circuitry is based on plug-in PCBs. Swapping these around showed that only one board was actually working anywhere near properly, consequently there was a damn sight more than "1 capacitor had failed or dried up, or even a dry joint".

Plus, I think I may have mentioned that every single one of those pictured capacitors is duff. Kaput. Knackered. Not working. Dead. They have ceased to be; they have shuffled off this mortal coil. They are ex-capacitors. 108 weren't changed just for the hell of it, I can assure you!

My apologies Adam, I wasn't aware that this was a mass catastrophic failure of alleged high quality components fitted as OEM into flagship Japanese products and is quite disgusting in my opinion.

I shall steer well clear in the future, although apart from the Odd PSU smoothing capacitor, I personally have had no capacitor failures in any HiFi equipment up to 40 years old.

Well done with your restoration :^

Mike

I wonder which is more likely?

(A) *all* the components (from several different manufacturers, in different values) failed because they're 'audio grade'.

or

(B) The amp has suffered some kind of misfortune which fucked it completely.

oh...

I wonder which is more likely?

(A) *all* the components (from several different manufacturers, in different values) failed because they're 'audio grade'.

or

(B) The amp has suffered some kind of misfortune which fucked it completely.

oh...

It's hard to imagine either scenario. B seems pretty unlikely, as capacitor failure is normally a gradual affair, anything catastrophic would most likely take out semiconductors, and that didn'tbhappen in this case.

However, A is also unlikely, in that capacitors won't fail 'because' they are audiophile rated, but may have failed because they were inadequate for the job, and they being 'audiophile' was incidental.

As I made clear above, I will have no truck with 'audiophile' anything. It's either suitable for the job or it isn't, and I've never found normal commercial-grade components to be anything other than suitable. Interesting looking at Leak, Quad, Radford products of the 'golden age', there were never 'audiophile' grade components, just well rated sensible commercial components.

S

Maybe it was in a house fire and got hot? Maybe it caused a house fire. :rofl: probably cursed.

I seriously don't see how so many caps from different manufacturers all failed without some kind of 'event'.

I think a former owner may have been someone who left their system on 24/7 - possibly stacked on top of a warm power amp. Can’t let the woo-woo out because it takes days to get it back.

Maybe it was in a house fire and got hot? Maybe it caused a house fire. :rofl: probably cursed.

You're all heart you are :D

A different style of posting:

Good work on getting it working. Please may I have a listen of it at some point? Would be quite something to hear it through the NS1000Ms.

A different style of posting:

Good work on getting it working. Please may I have a listen of it at some point? Would be quite something to hear it through the NS1000Ms.

Ill tell you show it sounds through NS1000Ms - shrill. :rofl:

Ill tell you show it sounds through NS1000Ms - shrill. :rofl:

Does it? Is that because you've heard a pair of NS1000Ms on another system and they're sounded shrill?