Nagraboy

From Harbeth to Tannoy in a 15' x 9' room?

Buy robins Greg, they used to be mine and worked well with my lower power leben, Tony l on Pfm also owned them and worked well with prima Luna amp, they sit in corner and sound fab

Super Wammer
Buy robins Greg, they used to be mine and worked well with my lower power leben, Tony l on Pfm also owned them and worked well with prima Luna amp, they sit in corner and sound fab

:D, your welcome to try them before you buy, just bring them back if they don't "do it " for you

Kensingtons are a big step up from Turnberrys - but the latest models are stupidly expensive. Greg, if you are passing this way you are welcome to drop in and try your amp with mine. :)

On the other hand there have been a few previous model Kensingtons about at reasonable prices over the last year. I was very tempted by a couple of pairs which came up before I bought the AN/Es.

:D, your welcome to try them before you buy, just bring them back if they don't "do it " for you

They sound pretty good - and thanks for the offer Robin - but I think I'd like to get a pair with the newer style appearance like the current range have. I just like shiny new things :(

- - - Updated - - -

Kensingtons are a big step up from Turnberrys - but the latest models are stupidly expensive. Greg, if you are passing this way you are welcome to drop in and try your amp with mine. :)

PM sent

I have the 12" Golds in a 11' x 12' room and they work very well. I made the cabs myself so i could get away from the wide design that Tannoy use. Having the q parameters, port size, length and vas worked out for the cab i am very pleased with the outcome.

I have the 12" Golds in a 11' x 12' room and they work very well. I made the cabs myself so i could get away from the wide design that Tannoy use. Having the q parameters, port size, length and vas worked out for the cab i am very pleased with the outcome.

Yep, all the advice seems to suggest they'd be viable with my room dimensions.

I'll be hearing Mibbie's Kensingtons tomorrow! :oj:

+1 I have heard these speakers at TonyL's place at Darrens and at Robins, all very different rooms with very different amps, they always sounded good to my ears and would make an excellent purchase for someone looking for the vintage tannoy sound.

Thread hijack:

I've been looking at Robin's Tannoys in the classifieds and having much the same mental conversation as Greg. My P3ESR are firing down the length of a 9' x 9' room (well, 9' by 18' really as its a double-lounge, but I listen from the halfway point, if you see what I mean). I love the Harbs but increasingly I'm lusting after a bigger presentation and deeper bass response, and the problem with moving up the Harbeth range (30s would be the obvious choice) is the amount of space they take up. Robin's Tannoys would take up less floorspace than the P3s and have the added benefit of not threatening to squish my now rather mobile young daughter.

I've recently acquired a Quad 306 which with the sensitivity altered to 1 or 1.5 mv should make a decent electrical match with the Tannoys. So my question is, what kind of differences should I expect to hear between the Harbeth presentation and that of the Tannoys? I'm mostly listening to acoustic material but with a smattering of electronic stuff too which would need to be at least passably presented.

Obviously the best thing would be to do some listening but with my current schedule bake-offs aren't really a possibility.

Anyone feel qualified to compare the sounds?

Thanks in advance...

Ian

I'll be hearing some Kensingtons tomorrow afternoon. I'll report my findings here Ian :^

Got a pair of harbeth HL1 in here (early variant of SHL5) with the 12" Tannoys at the mo. These Harbeths are easier to drive than the Tannoys so all is amp dependent. For me the fabled honk is a problematic characteristic, and there is what is describd as a 'papery' treble which is mild for me but not for everyone, neither of which the Harbeths have. However the Tannoys have scale, bass extension and balls out presentation which can be quite electrifying for music which demands that, and they can shift serious air without sounding strained. For parties there is but one choice.

Harbeths have a surprisingly dynamic presentation without wanting to go loud, and a supreme integration of drive units which makes voices and violin (the latter is a major issue for me) natural and musical. I'd say they are more neutral in a positive 'BBC' way, and despite the smaller scale get my vote as a speaker for classical and any vocal based music. Bass on both is tuneful, Tannoys more extended, Harbies more tonally accurate.

Frankly both are excellent speakers. I hope this helps.

Super Wammer
:goodone:...........James.

+ 1

Greg its a no brainer...... bite of robins hand of a free .....sale/buy or return offer

the beauty is you wont ever lose any money on the deal...... older tannoys retain there value.

wish i had kept mine.