Nagraboy

From Harbeth to Tannoy in a 15' x 9' room?

Come on Greg we need more than that, congrats on the speeks.:)

Been too busy listening to tunes to say much else Andy! :D

Moving from the bookshelf-sized Harbeths to the whacking-great Tannoys is a bit of an unfair comparison for the Harbs in some ways as the very obvious increase in bass extension and weight is a quite overwhelming improvement. Tied into that is the fairly dramatic increase in the sense of scale and physical drama of music played on the larger speaker. The suggestion of bass depth I had on the P3 has been replaced by genuine deep punchy bass with quite surprising wallop! But that's what you'd expect.

The Tannoys also present a wide panoramic vista of a soundscape in front of me, which gives a more dramatic presentation to some music. My recent discovery of electronic music really benefits from this quality. Seems like another world opens up in front of you. I'd imagine Harbeth M40.1 would do something similar.

I played some live small-group Jazz last night and on a very familiar Chet Baker Trio CD, Chet's vocals were quite obviously different in presentation from the P3 sound I'm used to. It wasn't a clumsy colouration that the Tannoys imparted, but a subtle kind of expressive silkyness that made for a very inviting listening experience. I'm tempted to say it sounded more luxurious through the Tannoy Kensingtons.

It's early days yet but these are my initial impressions after a few hours and I'm really enjoying them :^

:)

Was very excited to read this as have just bought a legacy ARDEN which gets delivered today .... and my Leben CS300xs will migrate into the large lounge .... was planning on using the existing Croft 25R / ATC p1 power (currently with harbeth 30.1) but will try both out and then decide which amplification route is best.

And then whether to sell ... what to sell.

9 minutes ago, Richdirector said:

Was very excited to read this as have just bought a legacy ARDEN which gets delivered today .... and my Leben CS300xs will migrate into the large lounge .... was planning on using the existing Croft 25R / ATC p1 power (currently with harbeth 30.1) but will try both out and then decide which amplification route is best.

And then whether to sell ... what to sell.

Congrats!:pop:

Super Wammer

mmm exciting , they are a fabulous speaker . the legacy series is very very enjoyable . It would take a fair bit to part me from mine and they replaced shl5plus . i think the croft /atc should sound good and be interesting what the leben sound like 

6 minutes ago, hifinutt said:

mmm exciting , they are a fabulous speaker . the legacy series is very very enjoyable . It would take a fair bit to part me from mine and they replaced shl5plus . i think the croft /atc should sound good and be interesting what the leben sound like 

They sound fabulous with the Harbeth 30.1 but croft is valve hybrid and ATC class AB. The chat elsewhere suggests class A or valve for Tannoy Arden (it recommends 20W+) but think the Leben might be fine too. The room is 7m x 5m and 3.5 tall so the tannoys should push air that wee bit better. Anyway will report back with pics ...

Super Wammer
21 minutes ago, Richdirector said:

They sound fabulous with the Harbeth 30.1 but croft is valve hybrid and ATC class AB. The chat elsewhere suggests class A or valve for Tannoy Arden (it recommends 20W+) but think the Leben might be fine too. The room is 7m x 5m and 3.5 tall so the tannoys should push air that wee bit better. Anyway will report back with pics …

I used to own the original Ardens and they worked well with a croft OTL3, but they excelled with 200wpc Luxkit Z504 !!

Super Wammer

we used a 10k valve amp [ integrated ] on the eaton legacy . it was sensational . but the msb class AB 200 watts is just beautiful too, pre has been varied from modwright dm to current bel canto pre 3 vbs . very warm vibrant sound with lots of texture . that croft /atc will take some beating 

26045315967_5a6539d8ed_k.jpgP1050289 by , on Flickr

• Like 1

Well speakers arrived today on a crate - luckily had pal at mine to help carry each 50kg box up 1.5 flights. 

Setup toed in to just in front of nose on sofa and been playing music for last 5 hours.

played some pink floyd and Paul Simon Graceland last and honestly heard things I’ve never heard before. Leaving on lower overnight with LINN classic radio playing as I will whenever out over next week. Here initial pic of in situ .... they’re big

98B785C9-4220-4B60-9C11-D9E0D721458E.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Richdirector said:

Well speakers arrived today on a crate - luckily had pal at mine to help carry each 50kg box up 1.5 flights. 

Setup toed in to just in front of nose on sofa and been playing music for last 5 hours.

played some pink floyd and Paul Simon Graceland last and honestly heard things I’ve never heard before. Leaving on lower overnight with LINN classic radio playing as I will whenever out over next week. Here initial pic of in situ .... they’re big

98B785C9-4220-4B60-9C11-D9E0D721458E.jpeg

If it wasn't for women, all speaker would be big.

Super Wammer

beautiful :D

Ditto.

So speakers with 30 hours in them now and last night swapped in Leben CS300xs amp in place of Croft 25r/ ATC

the tube Leben does give a bloom and space around the mids that make sparse voice and more acoustic music sparkle but as soon as music is denser and more detailed it lacks the neutrality(but still musicallity)  of the Croft /ATC 

pink floyd money - heard the chatter and clarity of effects better than ever before .

paul Simon - ‘diamonds on the sole...’ this was a complete eye opener with Croft ATC such a dense perfect recording and heard retrieval that was superb but had to force myself to listen ...... most of the time I was just foot tapping away..... 

tried more modern tracks like James Blake ‘wilhelm scream’ this has a dense driving bass with sharp percussion but the Croft ATC revealed everything and here the Leben seemed to cloud the bass a bit more and seem unable to reveal as much detail .... Leben was a bit fatty on bass if that makes sense.

so Leben back to small lounge where it powers falcon LS3/5a speakers and here the presentation just work with the confines of near field listening and lack of bass extension. 

Dont get me wrong Leben is classy but can’t compare to croft ATC with the tannoys

476C928F-614F-41BB-AB7B-858718EEA9D7.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1