Nagraboy

From Harbeth to Tannoy in a 15' x 9' room?

My list of possibles includes the Clearaudio Concept (but MM or MC + SUT?) and something from Acoustic Solid, or even my former incumbent - the SME 10. TBH I don't feel like spending huge amounts on analogue really.

I'd still like to get a good digital source again too. I've had my eye on some valve DACs like the Yamamoto YDA-01B, Modwright Elyse and the Allnic D5000. Any of them would be a good partner for a cheaper compact transport like an Apollo R, for example. Decisions, decisons...

Haha .......... the bug is biting :)

Greg do not go down the vinyl route as it is seriously addictive.;-)

+1.

Starting with a modest budget is a good plan, sticking to it is proving very difficult.......

+1.

Starting with a modest budget is a good plan, sticking to it is proving very difficult.......

This is my dilemma too. I don't want to spend a fortune but equally don't want to lock myself into a lower level of performance that doesn't satisfy and is tricky and costly to upgrade later.

I suppose one idea is to get a very good deck with more modest arm-cart combo. That way it'll be fine for the time being but will respond well when the upgraditis dictates a change :doh:

Sometimes I just think 'Get the Clearaudio Concept and be done with all the to-ing and fro-ing' :dunno:

Not heard the Clearaudio concept, but the Michell Orbe and Oracle Delphi have spent time in my listening room (as well as more modest decks from Rega, Systemdek, Revolver and Project). I'd recommend both and it took a lot for me to move the Oracle on.

Was lucky a few years ago when I asked Tannoy if they would let me have a look at a pair of Kensingtons to gauge the size of them as I was considering a pair at the time and was unsure of the finish too. No dealer in Glasgow had a pair I could see never mind hear.

They very kindly asked me to pop into the factory and they would let me see a pair as I was local to the factory.

I assumed I would see a static pair when I arrived but they unboxed a fresh pair and set them up in their listening room, just for me!!!

Can't remember the electronics being used, think it was a simple integrated and CD player. Fresh out of the box they sounded fab and that's what I remember more than anything else.

Unfortunately the missus and I couldn't agree over the finish, I liked it and she didn't, Grrr!!

Thumbs up to Tannoy for their kind offer at the time and a great treat for yours truly and one I'll remember for a long time.

Good luck with your new speakers Greg.

Neil

Ha ha, you have bought a high-end phono stage AND some new vinyl ... don't kid yourself. I thought my modest vinyl front end sounded pretty good with those amps. :^

Ha ha, you have bought a high-end phono stage AND some new vinyl ... don't kid yourself. I thought my modest vinyl front end sounded pretty good with those amps. :^

...And I bought two more LPs today! :oops:

I certainly won't be forking out for a front-end as 'modest' as yours Mibby! :D That AN-J step-up must've cost an obscene amount! All that silver and Kondo wizardry... However, I am leaning towards a MC with SUT - it just seems to be the right way to do things :^

The cart isn't an AN-J, it's a UK Gold. Bargin, by comparison! And the step-up really wasn't that dear... :nerves:

The cart isn't an AN-J, it's a UK Gold. Bargin, by comparison! And the step-up really wasn't that dear... :nerves:

I remember the price of the cart but I guessed the SUT was even more costly? If it wasn't, then that's a pleasant surprise!

I am glad my suggestion was chosen and also so jealous :)

Thank you for the suggestion Shaun, they're now at home sounding very nice with the Leben amp :^

45341b0a0dce4f8f87928d698e3dd87b_zpscf66b8b6.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

New Tannoy Kensingtons :)

ffba3f889dbab0ba9ad0bba462c647dd_zps745161eb.jpg

c56d118e0b9da93c08b16101ba44a48f_zps4bb4eab6.jpg

Is that a mature bonsai?!!:shock:

If so, is it one of your hobbies?

Thinking of diversifying into the bonsai trade.

SS

ps: nice wardrobes!!

I have two of them, £5 from IKEA. Thinking of getting some other ones to go on top of the 'wardrobes' to keep the tanks company :?

I have two of them, £5 from IKEA. Thinking of getting some other ones to go on top of the 'wardrobes' to keep the tanks company :?

Didn't know IKEA UK sells bonsai with so much foliage.

(hmm, steroids involved?:?)

With a tank each under them, perched on the tannoys, you'll have yourself an interesting conversation piece.:^:D

Dana would want to visit.:P

SS

Thank you for the suggestion Shaun, they're now at home sounding very nice with the Leben amp :^

45341b0a0dce4f8f87928d698e3dd87b_zpscf66b8b6.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

New Tannoy Kensingtons :)

ffba3f889dbab0ba9ad0bba462c647dd_zps745161eb.jpg

c56d118e0b9da93c08b16101ba44a48f_zps4bb4eab6.jpg

Come on Greg we need more than that, congrats on the speeks.:)