Nagraboy

From Harbeth to Tannoy in a 15' x 9' room?

Speakers really are personal, and for me the most critical part of the chain to get right.

The problem for me is that I need a good couple of weeks minimum to evaluate a pair; discover their good and bad traits, find out how they work in my room, decide if I can live with these compromises.

This is where, if the cash is there for new stuff, dealers really excel since they can arrange demo pairs with sensible loan times. For a pair of Kensingtons I would tentatively suggest a dealer visit.

I'm mostly listening to acoustic material but with a smattering of electronic stuff too which would need to be at least passably presented

I'd say you'll be pretty happy with electronic stuff on the Tannoys :rockin: oh yes

haha... funny, I had tannoys down as a pipe 'n' slippers kinda beast. i don't need to rock the room (that often anyway) but just want to do justice to the squelchy stuff when it comes up... i've bitten the bullet on a pair of HL1 Mk4 at a good price and may try some 30s too... i feel on safe ground with the Harbeth sound and i think given what you've told me about the Tannoys It'd be best to listen in the flesh before making any big moves... thanks for all the input guys...

haha... funny, I had tannoys down as a pipe 'n' slippers kinda beast. i don't need to rock the room (that often anyway) but just want to do justice to the squelchy stuff when it comes up... i've bitten the bullet on a pair of HL1 Mk4 at a good price and may try some 30s too... i feel on safe ground with the Harbeth sound and i think given what you've told me about the Tannoys It'd be best to listen in the flesh before making any big moves... thanks for all the input guys...

Been listening to the Kensingtons today Ian :^

Well, I was impressed! I used my Leben amp and phono stage with MIB/John's superb vinyl front end and dCS player. I just really enjoyed their performance and didn't notice any issues with vocals or bass or anything unpleasant of that nature. The added scale and drama over my Harbeths was well appreciated.

My 15W valve Leben sounded amply powerful, clear and nuanced driving them. The Leben phono stage was bloody excellent and I'm glad I bought even before I've got a turntable!

My dreaded acid test of Frank Sinatra Capitol recordings caused no upsets and I'd confirm that I'd be happy to play my treasured Sinatra discs thorough Tannoys on a regular basis!

Really impressed and am nearly decided on getting a pair :)

Are you telling me you had that communist aggitator round to your home ? :shock:

I thought the correct term was 'Communist automaton'? :dunno: Perhaps you had thoughts of Churchill's visit to uncle Joe in WW2? :D

No, I took my amp with me in the car and dropped in after the HFN show. John was an excellent host and his system was well-matched and sounded superb! I loved the Palmer/AN-UK/Kondo vinyl set up. The speakers were just right - I think I'm going to buy a pair!

Super Wammer

Nice one greg...............audio affair will love you .

Super Wammer
Been listening to the Kensingtons today Ian :^

Well, I was impressed! I used my Leben amp and phono stage with MIB/John's superb vinyl front end and dCS player. I just really enjoyed their performance and didn't notice any issues with vocals or bass or anything unpleasant of that nature. The added scale and drama over my Harbeths was well appreciated.

My 15W valve Leben sounded amply powerful, clear and nuanced driving them. The Leben phono stage was bloody excellent and I'm glad I bought even before I've got a turntable!

My dreaded acid test of Frank Sinatra Capitol recordings caused no upsets and I'd confirm that I'd be happy to play my treasured Sinatra discs thorough Tannoys on a regular basis!

Really impressed and am nearly decided on getting a pair :)

nice one Greg, love a happy ending

i've bitten the bullet on a pair of HL1 Mk4 at a good price and may try some 30s too... i feel on safe ground with the Harbeth sound and i think given what you've told me about the Tannoys It'd be best to listen in the flesh before making any big moves... thanks for all the input guys...

Wow, Ian, you too! If I'd known you were looking I would have loaned you the HL5s I picked up recently, now serving very nicely in my living room. I've also been trying some P3ESR in an unusual context (with Gradient SW-63 subs designed for the Quads!). We should pool resources in this speaker madness.

For the OP, I've always thought 30.1's would be perfect for your tastes. You didn't need the extra bass that your C7s offered, but perhaps the P3s are that little bit small. The 30s are the great in-betweener. Personally I can't see Tannoys working in a room with a 9 foot wall, but that's not from experience, so I hope I'm wrong.

aah, i wasn't really, but then an offer came my way. in truth i'm fairly sure they're too big for this room but at the price - £300 with SS stands - there's nothing lost in trying and certainly some fun to be had. i once had Rogers LS7 squeezed into a tiny bedroom and though they were surely under-performing they still gave me happy memories. by the middle of the week i should have some 30s to do a 3-way comparison... and maybe end this speaker madness once and for all!

Wow, Ian, you too! If I'd known you were looking I would have loaned you the HL5s I picked up recently, now serving very nicely in my living room. I've also been trying some P3ESR in an unusual context (with Gradient SW-63 subs designed for the Quads!). We should pool resources in this speaker madness.

For the OP, I've always thought 30.1's would be perfect for your tastes. You didn't need the extra bass that your C7s offered, but perhaps the P3s are that little bit small. The 30s are the great in-betweener. Personally I can't see Tannoys working in a room with a 9 foot wall, but that's not from experience, so I hope I'm wrong.

The M30.1 is still an option but I think I'm heading towards a change of brand and presentation. As mentioned before, I may keep my P3ESR - never know when they might come on handy.

I too would have doubted that Tannoys could work in a small room but despite my best efforts to prove that point, all user experiences seem to contradict the assumption.

The Kensingtons I heard yesterday were mere inches from the side and rear walls and they just plain worked! As John told me, the Japanese often shoehorn them into tiny flats and they sound fine.

I think the excellent driver integration means you can sit close up - same with Harbeths. Another bonus is that the Leben 15-Watter can really show it's stuff with a 93dB 8-Ohm load which never drops below 5-Ohms! :D

Ok I misunderstood - I didn't realise you'd heard them in your room. I'm still not quite sure. If they do work in your room that's very interesting. I'm also surprised they would work with the Leben - did you mainly play vocals or did you subject it to large scale orchestral too? I'd be interesting in contemporary Tannoys myself, since what I've heard of Steven Toy's system at Scalford showed some promise. I had understood they were very fussy about amps, but glad to hear otherwise.

We were listening in my room, which is a little bigger but by no means large.

The Leben worked surprisingly well, and the matching phono stage is excellent. We played classical, jazz, blues, folk, rock and electronica - the combination dealt with them all, and quite a lot louder than Greg was looking for!

Tannoy recommend a minimum of 50 watts for Kensingtons - they must mean puny solid state watts! :D