Nagraboy

From Harbeth to Tannoy in a 15' x 9' room?

Super Wammer

I have my 15" mg tannoys in corner cabs up for sale, used them for 3 years in a very similar size room to yours, driving them with my cary set 300b amp, worked beautifully, as many wammers can testify

Super Wammer

..+1 for push pull amp and tannoy monitors - several tannoy guys on the wam favour push pull with tannoy monitors

or maybe look at WLM la Scalas , nice and efficient with tunable tweeter but difficult to find in this country

I run my Cheviots on both 18wpc PP el34's and a 180wpc SS. They work well with either. Go for it!

Super Wammer

Harbeth.... tannoy ...different presentation greg...... get a pair on demo or a friendly wammer

menin black has got turnberry s i think......... worth a listen /buying blind ???

Harbeth.... tannoy ...different presentation greg...... get a pair on demo or a friendly wammer

menin black has got turnberry s i think......... worth a listen /buying blind ???

Yes, I'd like to have a good listen first. I heard Tom/Montesquieu's modded pair last year but can't really remember it.

I've seen that Audio Affair in Birmingham have a few models on demo, might pop down there this week if I can.

It does seem that room size isn't much of an issue from what I've read, and they can go near rear-side walls too.

I might wait to make a decision on new speakers in the new year. Plenty of time to try a few Tannoys or other speakers out. I haven't ruled out bigger Harbeths or staying with the P3ESR yet.

Well if you can get yourself to London you can listen to my 12" MG or my Cheviots, both with either 12W p/p Leaks or the Tron 6W in a none too large room. The Tron is a bit lost on the Tannoys but works a pair of Harbies just fine as loud as I want with good control, so its not just about watts IMO. Size isn't an issue (physical size is...) but for presentation but they are certainly different to Harbeths in the crucial midrange.

I use a 50w el34 based amp on mibbys old turnberry he's and they go bloody loud so less would be fine for quiet listening. What about kensingtons though? Slightly thinner and might suit the space better.

Super Wammer
I run my Cheviots on both 18wpc PP el34's and a 180wpc SS. They work well with either. Go for it!

I run my Cheviots with 4.5 watt SET mono blocks and a passive pre, they sound great!

I use a 50w el34 based amp on mibbys old turnberry he's and they go bloody loud so less would be fine for quiet listening. What about kensingtons though? Slightly thinner and might suit the space better.

Are the Kensingtons a big step up? I notice they're more expensive than the Turnberrys and have some different design points. I'll have to look up the size comparison properly but I've noticed that they do look narrower in width than the Turnberrys. I'd like to get a really top quality speaker and not have to worry about 'upgrading' much again!

I run my Cheviots with 4.5 watt SET mono blocks and a passive pre, they sound great!

Very encouraging, I might go SET myself one day!

Yeah they have alnico magnet tweeters or something and are definitely slimmer. The turnberrys are quite large even though they are the smaller ones in the range. I'd love a pair of kensingtons.

Yeah they have alnico magnet tweeters or something and are definitely slimmer. The turnberrys are quite large even though they are the smaller ones in the range. I'd love a pair of kensingtons.

Been reading up on them, they sound rather impressive. Shame they have a bigger cabinet and deeper bass but the same 93dB sensitivity. I'd prefer less bass extension but more sensitivity.

My Turnberry SE's now work extremely well in my room, but it took a bit of experimenting to sort out the sound.

I found there was a trade off between bass and a shouty mid. I tried several amps, including a very well regarded ppvalve amp which on paper should have been superb. I found the mids far too forward and shouty. I took this amp to Pauls bake off (pgarrish) and played it on his Cheviots. Same result. It's now on my ATC's sounding wonderful. I tried 3 amps which all had slightly differing sounds but the same shouty mids. I believe some people call this the Tannoy honk. I was close to getting rid as I found the sound near unlistenable

Two things sorted out the sound. The first was putting in a direct spur to the consumer unit. This helped quite a bit.

The second was trying my 400W class D monoblocs which were on the ATC's. On paper this pairing is just stupid, but I had the amps so tried them; not stupid, not at all stupid. They're still on the Turnberries and now I have no thoughts of swapping the Tannoys, at least not yet. :whistle:

If you want to bring your amp you're welcome to have a listen.

Kev

My Turnberry SE's now work extremely well in my room, but it took a bit of experimenting to sort out the sound.

I found there was a trade off between bass and a shouty mid. I tried several amps, including a very well regarded ppvalve amp which on paper should have been superb. I found the mids far too forward and shouty. I took this amp to Pauls bake off (pgarrish) and played it on his Cheviots. Same result. It's now on my ATC's sounding wonderful. I tried 3 amps which all had slightly differing sounds but the same shouty mids. I believe some people call this the Tannoy honk. I was close to getting rid as I found the sound near unlistenable

Two things sorted out the sound. The first was putting in a direct spur to the consumer unit. This helped quite a bit.

The second was trying my 400W class D monoblocs which were on the ATC's. On paper this pairing is just stupid, but I had the amps so tried them; not stupid, not at all stupid. They're still on the Turnberries and now I have no thoughts of swapping the Tannoys, at least not yet. :whistle:

If you want to bring your amp you're welcome to have a listen.

Kev

Thank you Kev, that's a very kind offer. I'll be in touch over the next few days to arrange date/time that suits us both :^

I'd read elsewhere that the right amp is essential with Tannoys. Hope the little Leben will rise to the occasion! :nerves:

After recently acquiring my 15W Leben integrated and reading around a bit about higher sensitivity speakers with valve amps, I've started to think about whether a pair of Tannoys might be a good thing for me :)

My room is about 15' x 9.5' and I'd assumed that only modestly-sized standmounts - like Harbeths - would work here, but after some research - including this thread http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?106622-Tannoy-s-in-a-small-room&highlight=Tannoy+Stirling - it seems as if it could work well :?

I immediately thought the Stirlings would be best as they're the smallest but the above thread seems to suggest any of them could work. I also notice that many people have them very close to rear walls, which is encouraging. I fire my Harbeths across from the long wall with about 40cm behind them and would be looking to do roughly the same with Tannoys if I do go for some.

I tend to play predominantly acoustic music at lowish levels most of the time and don't crave seismic bass. Most important is midrange naturalness and a good sense of musical flow and communication with no grating harshness.

Would be good to hear a pair sometime if possible, also I'd like to get an idea of price to pay. There seem to be so many models (TW, HE, SE, GR...) I don't know where to start or what to look for.

Any comments or advice welcomed :^

The thing to remember with tannoys is that they are Horn Loaded by the shape of the driver.

This means that they throw the image out into the room more than a conventional speaker.That said Stirlings,Turnberry's and Kensington's,all being front ported can be used very close to walls,providing the room can handle the increase in bass response by doing so.

I think small 10 inch Tannoy's would work ok in a room of that size.