Steveh

Chord (not cables)

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Iceman 16 said:

@Fourlegs Have you got any idea which output voltage I should use from the Qutest to my amp (MF AMS 35i) obviously using rca interconnects. I could'nt find it in the user manual so just took the advice from Mr Watts and use 2V.

The only way to find out is to try each and judge with your ears. For me 1v sounds best through a NVA P90SA passive pre amp. When adding the Mscaler, which slightly reduces volume, I thought 2v would be better, but it was not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Blackmetalboon said:

@greygoose I’ve probably only seen one, maybe two, Coda’s for sale in the UK. Most of the time they’ve been from Japan. All the buttons that were removed were in English, so that is what makes me think it was for the foreign market.

I’m not to sure about connecting a One to the QBD76 as it doesn’t have the dual data connections, just the single BNC digital output.

Blu’s do pop up on the used market every now and then and for under your budget.

That is an interesting point regarding the single BNC of the one , very confusing.

There are a couple of Blu's on the preloved market but 2.5-3k, probably better to wait and get a Blu 2  and get a dave in the distant future......

Alternatively the hard reality is that the qbd76HD at 18 thousand taps is now outdated compared to the newer products from chord,  better to invest in Hugo / uoscalers perhaps!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, greygoose said:

That is an interesting point regarding the single BNC of the one , very confusing.

There are a couple of Blu's on the preloved market but 2.5-3k, probably better to wait and get a Blu 2  and get a dave in the distant future......

Alternatively the hard reality is that the qbd76HD at 18 thousand taps is now outdated compared to the newer products from chord,  better to invest in Hugo / uoscalers perhaps!!

It is confusing with the One, I can only assume that it’s internal DAC will upsample to 192kHz and that if you use the digital out you’ll be stuck with 44.1kHz.

I would be surprised if those Blu’s sell at those prices, £1.5-2k is a realistic price depending on age and condition.

I very nearly went down the DAVE route but eventually went in a different direction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Blackmetalboon said:

It is confusing with the One, I can only assume that it’s internal DAC will upsample to 192kHz and that if you use the digital out you’ll be stuck with 44.1kHz.

I would be surprised if those Blu’s sell at those prices, £1.5-2k is a realistic price depending on age and condition.

I very nearly went down the DAVE route but eventually went in a different direction.

I would like to stay with chord but a used blu and qbd76hd will cost 4-5k for somewhat outdated technology in view of the hugo/ TT/DAVE.

A used Rega isis will cost 2.5k  , I am starting to wonder if there is method in my madness.

Do you mind me asking what route did you end up going down?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, greygoose said:

I would like to stay with chord but a used blu and qbd76hd will cost 4-5k for somewhat outdated technology in view of the hugo/ TT/DAVE.

A used Rega isis will cost 2.5k  , I am starting to wonder if there is method in my madness.

Do you mind me asking what route did you end up going down?

I ended up getting the Chord Red Reference MKIII. It meant one less box and one less set of cables in the rats nest behind the rack! I have one of the original QDB76’s (with Bluetooth) which meant USB was limited to 44.1k where as the DAC in my CD player is the HDSD version of it. I guess some would see it as a sideways move but my Blu and QDB76 will form part of a second system eventually.

Don't get me wrong, DAVE seems like a great DAC (in the context of the systems I’ve heard it in) and would have been interested to hear an M Scaler in a Choral case, but the DAVE is £8.5k and I just could not justify that. Greater gains could be had elsewhere in my system with that sort of cash. It also buys a huge amount of music!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Blackmetalboon said:

I ended up getting the Chord Red Reference MKIII. It meant one less box and one less set of cables in the rats nest behind the rack! I have one of the original QDB76’s (with Bluetooth) which meant USB was limited to 44.1k where as the DAC in my CD player is the HDSD version of it. I guess some would see it as a sideways move but my Blu and QDB76 will form part of a second system eventually.

Don't get me wrong, DAVE seems like a great DAC (in the context of the systems I’ve heard it in) and would have been interested to hear an M Scaler in a Choral case, but the DAVE is £8.5k and I just could not justify that. Greater gains could be had elsewhere in my system with that sort of cash. It also buys a huge amount of music!!!

I like your way of thinking ................ Gold can be too dear!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
On 28/04/2019 at 12:41, JezR said:

Just got an M-Scaler to partner with my Qutest DAC, Wow is all I can say, it turns CD's into music.

1154717634_ChordM-Scaler.thumb.jpg.03099b9b6d5b6c4a0a8228310b2f4ae7.jpg

Is that a Shakti Stone? If so, are they of any benefit? I've often wondered what was inside them!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, vintageaxeman said:

Is that a Shakti Stone? If so, are they of any benefit? I've often wondered what was inside them!

Indeed it is, I just got it out of curiosity, a non serious purchase, I've never moved it around to see if it does anything that changes the sound, it's just my DAC stand.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chord have announced their latest products, two mono power amplifiers and a Phonostage in the same style as the Qutest DAC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/04/2019 at 08:59, ziggy said:

i would like a Poly to go with my Mojo, but the connection problems have put me off. The recent update to Gofigure seems to have improved things and I am reconsidering.

I took the plunge but did not get as far as the Gofigue update. The first one was not recognised by Gofigure and contained out of date instructions. The second one was recognised by Gofigure but would not connect to my wifi. It seemed to be a compatabilty issue with my router which Chord were vague about before going silent. The Poly is being returned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
On 09/05/2019 at 18:35, Blackmetalboon said:

Chord have announced their latest products, two mono power amplifiers and a Phonostage in the same style as the Qutest DAC.

I’m not sure that the Huei name is a great idea, for the phono stage.  It either sounds like someone being sick, or a bit too much like a Chinese telecoms company that’s been attracting negative publicity!  Maybe it’s meant to be controversial?  

I’d be surprised if it didn’t sound stunning though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nopiano said:

I’m not sure that the Huei name is a great idea

Welcome to Chord Electronics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://audiobacon.net/2019/05/31/chord-electronics-hugo-m-scaler-review-digital-disruption/

Came across this lengthy review of the Mscaler in which the improvements it brings to Chord DACs are described.  Like all reviews it is one person's opinion, but the comments about the combination with the Qutest concur with my own experience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.