Steveh

Chord (not cables)

Bring me the Qutest in silver and I'm there.

It only being in black breaks my heart. I have no interest in a headphone amp so the portables are out, that leaves 2Cute or its slightly older sibling in the second hand space.

Can't put a black DAC on top of silver amps.... my OCD wont allow it lol

On 02/03/2018 at 15:27, Matt Daniels said:

Bring me the Qutest in silver and I'm there.

It only being in black breaks my heart. I have no interest in a headphone amp so the portables are out, that leaves 2Cute or its slightly older sibling in the second hand space.

Can't put a black DAC on top of silver amps.... my OCD wont allow it lol

I am in the same boat.

I asked Chord's representative at the Bristol Show if a silver version would be released. The answer was "never". I inquired why. The gist is that to get it to the price they have, they had to commit to a colour, rather than produce lots of both and not sell a bundle of one colour, or end up doing short runs of one, then the other to meet demand. It transpires black is the cheaper colour to make. You might consider Chord's silver units as simply brushed aluminium, but they are anodised also, and retaining that quality silver finish costs more than black.

Had the same conversation at Chord HQ the week before. But with the added, slightly mysterious "Not yet anyway" added.

Make of that what you will.

Including yourself that makes three sales they've missed that I know about.... perhaps people power can be brought to bear lol.

Meantime I guess we tap our fingers on the table impatiently and swear at them occasionally.

On 04/07/2017 at 09:55, AlanB said:

Owned many.....yes, too many dacs and my favourite was a Chord Dac 64.

Recently invested in a Hugo 2.  Cracking sound (not using the pre) but disappointed in the build quality.  Feels very flimsy for £1800.  I also wonder who decided not to have a standard coaxial input.  The headphone jack input is ridiculous.  Okay one can buy an adaptor but not ideal.  Only reasonable coax to headphone seems to be the Chord Clearway.

Well that's the gripes out of the way.....it sounds superb!

A year later and here again.  I kept the Hugo 2 for a while.... maybe 3 months at most.  After a while I found I was getting the serious audiophool illness i.e. I was listening to the system NOT the music.  The Hugo 2 seemed to dissect the presentation and not involving.  Jerry (Jandl100) borrowed it and concurred with my opinion.  An internet magazine, The Verge, did a review of the 2 and found the same.  Reverted to my, probably, favourite dac of all, the Chord DAC 64 MkII.  Only one word for it .... Musical.  Sold the first as it has no preamp but no longer require that facility now.  This baby stays!

Edited by AlanB
  • Like 1

The Mojo came out not long after I discovered that lossless streaming and CD rips sounded better than a CD player. At £400 it seemed good value and I was not disappointed. I wanted an upgrade which did not run off a batery, whilst retaining the Chord sound signature. The Qutest fitted the bill perfectly and I am very pleased with it. It being in black only is not an issue, especially if it keeps the cost down and this colour matches  my NVA system. The Mojo has been retained for headphone duties and has seen a lot of use in the garden this summer.

I bought a Qutest and compared it to a 2qute and it’s a fantastic product. 70 percent of the performance of the Dave, which I’ve aliso tested. I’ve not tried chords range of pre amps and power amps except the tt and ttoby, but dacs by chord are class leading imo, or up there as one of the best. 

I’ve tested benchmark and Mytek dacs, as well as Cambridge Audio and obviously Cyrus and the chord dacs easily come out in top. That’s besides hearing loads of kit like naim and other brands at shows. I know from what hifi reviewers have all consistently said that the DAVE is probably the best DAC you can get, and when you read the reviews of chord dacs consistently beating dacs from the likes of musical fidelity and audiolab standalone hifi dacs, it’s pretty obvious chord are at the top of the game. The fpga tech used by chord seems to stack up as amongst the best dacs in dac quality indexes like those used by Darko etc. And at shows the resolving and realism power of chord systems is easily amongst the best and that’s a very big marker of a great Dac. Finally when you look at what you get for the price it’s very hard for others to beat, not least simple cases, no fancy displays on lots of the products like the tt or Qutest, so economics are right too, not hard to understand why they are doing so well.

Super Dealer
1 minute ago, QuestForThe13thNote said:

I’ve tested benchmark and Mytek dacs, as well as Cambridge Audio and obviously Cyrus and the chord dacs easily come out in top. That’s besides hearing loads of kit like naim and other brands at shows. I know from what hifi reviewers have all consistently said that the DAVE is probably the best DAC you can get, and when you read the reviews of chord dacs consistently beating dacs from the likes of musical fidelity and audiolab standalone hifi dacs, it’s pretty obvious chord are at the top of the game. The fpga tech used by chord seems to stack up as amongst the best dacs in dac quality indexes like those used by Darko etc. And at shows the resolving and realism power of chord systems is easily amongst the best and that’s a very big marker of a great Dac. Finally when you look at what you get for the price it’s very hard for others to beat, not least simple cases, no fancy displays on lots of the products like the tt or Qutest, so economics are right too, not hard to understand why they are doing so well.

Were those ‘tests’ conducted unsighted and level matched?

Keith

Hmmm, enthusiastic support, but I still don't like Chord DACs - initially impressive but only seem to accentuate the artificial sound of digital music.  

Maybe its because Ol' Black Beard prefers his records, almost any DAC, and certainly not Chord, will come close to matching that sound.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

Were those ‘tests’ conducted unsighted and level matched?

Keith

I’ve never bought that argument as it wouldn’t account for a situation where one person reviews two dacs and so does another and they come up with the same conclusions. 

Super Dealer
Just now, QuestForThe13thNote said:

I’ve never bought that argument as it wouldn’t account for a situation where one person reviews two dacs and so does another and they come up with the same conclusions. 

I sincerely doubt you would have been able to tell the Chord from any other contemporary oversampling design if the comparison had been performed unsighted.

Keith

Super Dealer
28 minutes ago, Black Beard said:

Hmmm, enthusiastic support, but I still don't like Chord DACs - initially impressive but only seem to accentuate the artificial sound of digital music.  

Maybe its because Ol' Black Beard prefers his records, almost any DAC, and certainly not Chord, will come close to matching that sound.

Spot on, to try and even approach the sound of vinyl you would need  NOS and perhaps a valve output !

Keith

Edited by PuritéAudio

24 minutes ago, Black Beard said:

I actually think the TT is not a good product because Pre is weak and lacking richness and it gives shrill performance on some speakers. I’d much prefer a proprietary pre and standalone dac. So it’s not the case I like all chord products. 

But nowadays not all dacs do that artificial sound and use it with a rich smooth source and good amps and the dacs never perform in an artificial way. They might 5 years ago but that’s not the case at the moment with some digital transports and dacs. 

6 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

I sincerely doubt you would have been able to tell the Chord from any other contemporary oversampling design if the comparison had been performed unsighted.

Keith

But you wouldn’t advocate or insist customers do blind a to b testing in your shop when comparing products, surely Keith?