The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

Steveh

Chord (not cables)

Recommended Posts

Dealer
2 hours ago, Cambs12 said:

How much of an improvement did you find moving to the TT over the Hugo?

The simple answer is I do not really know. I couldnt compare them back to back but I had the chance to get a TT and so I went for it. The sound is basically the same between the two Hugos and that makes any difference subtle at best, they do after all share the same dac insides to a great extent, but I was quite keen to get the remote control that comes with the TT. I listen to my music whilst I work and I sometimes have to quickly put it on mute when a clients telephone call comes in! The bigger battery is also bound to help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Admin

Cheers. I have have listened to them both, but with different pairs of headphones, and was impressed. But because it was different cans, I couldn't compare them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Admin

Does anyone use the Hugo TT or Hugo as a preamp in their system as well as Dac? Curious how they sound at lower volumes...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

I run a Hugo TT into my AN Oto Stuart and find the volume adjustment via the TT works well, albeit, the colour coded volume identification can be a bit difficult to see. The tiny dot matrix display is frankly a waste of space and its the only part of the whole unit which is a negative...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Admin

Thanks Pete. Did you compare back to back with a pre in the system? I know there are two trains of thought about dacs straight into power amps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dealer
3 hours ago, Cambs12 said:

Does anyone use the Hugo TT or Hugo as a preamp in their system as well as Dac? Curious how they sound at lower volumes...

I had a Hugo and then a HugoTT. I tried using them direct into my valve amps but the sound quality degraded so I always used a pre amp. I used to use active pre amps but now a use a Music First transformer volume control. I keep the dac at about 0dB and use the pre amp to control the volume.

I now have a Dave and it is the same thing. My dealer was a bit surprised so he did a home visit a couple of weeks ago and confirmed exactly what I was saying about losing sound quality by going direct to the power amps. We are not talking about a colour of sound here or about a particular tone etc, rather it is rather more fundamental than that. It is also not a subtle thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
2 hours ago, Cambs12 said:

Thanks Pete. Did you compare back to back with a pre in the system? I know there are two trains of thought about dacs straight into power amps.

I've not run pre/power for over two years Stuart and other than a Stereo Coffee LDR Passive Pre ferreted away in a cupboard, I don't have any spare kit sitting about. However, reading Nick's thoughts, it got me thinking. I haven't considered it before, but I wonder if I could fit the LDR Passive Pre between the TT and the Oto and see if there is indeed a difference?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

Is anybody able to confirm if I can safely run my Stereo Coffee LDR Passive between my Chord Hugo TT and AN Oto SE amp?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dealer
19 minutes ago, orbscure said:

Is anybody able to confirm if I can safely run my Stereo Coffee LDR Passive between my Chord Hugo TT and AN Oto SE amp?

What are your concerns? Surely the Stereo Coffee LDR Passive is OK to connect to an AN Oto SE ?

Assuming you decide to have a go, start up the HugoTT in DAC mode and that way you will get a decent output voltage which can then be tamed by the pre amp. My experiments seem to indicate that is the clue as to why the sound is better rather than just the fact that a pre amp is being used. In other words, I have found that when the pre amp is fed an attenuated signal from the Hugo/HugoTT/Dave then there is no advantage in having the pre amp in the system and it sounds the same as feeding the DAC direct into the valve amp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
1 hour ago, Fourlegs said:

What are your concerns? Surely the Stereo Coffee LDR Passive is OK to connect to an AN Oto SE ?

Assuming you decide to have a go, start up the HugoTT in DAC mode and that way you will get a decent output voltage which can then be tamed by the pre amp. My experiments seem to indicate that is the clue as to why the sound is better rather than just the fact that a pre amp is being used. In other words, I have found that when the pre amp is fed an attenuated signal from the Hugo/HugoTT/Dave then there is no advantage in having the pre amp in the system and it sounds the same as feeding the DAC direct into the valve amp.

It might sound silly Nick, but the reason I'm asking is that I simply don't know. I purchased the LDR Passive right at the time I changed direction from pre/power to integrated. So other than a brief but successful workout in another Wam members second system, its been collecting dust sat in a cupboard. I'll have a dabble when I get home tonight, see how it sounds and report back with my thoughts :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dealer
3 hours ago, orbscure said:

It might sound silly Nick, but the reason I'm asking is that I simply don't know. I purchased the LDR Passive right at the time I changed direction from pre/power to integrated. So other than a brief but successful workout in another Wam members second system, its been collecting dust sat in a cupboard. I'll have a dabble when I get home tonight, see how it sounds and report back with my thoughts :) 

Pete, would be interested to see what you think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

Its all connected Nick and if my memory serves me right, holding the crossfader button in on start up turns the Hugo TT indicator LED red and sets it into stand alone DAC mode. Anyway, initial thoughts... well, apart from it being a bit disconcerting with the volume knob on the Oto being closer to 12 rather than 9'o clock, it certainly doesn't sound any worse. I'll give it a n extended run tonight and have a decent listen :) 

Edited by orbscure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

Well chaps, I've had the LDR Pre sat between the Hugo TT and Oto for a couple of days now and I think there is indeed an improvement. However, the cynic in me keeps putting this perceived improvement down to anything from wishful thinking to dear old placebo effect. Having said that, this new arrangement isn't going anywhere, so perhaps that says more about the "change" than fancy words and phrases can try to convey :)  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Admin

Interesting Pete. Definitely think I am going to go back to a preamp. I just have this nagging doubt that at lower volumes I am missing stuff. Maybe I have read too many magazines ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

In the words of the immortal Yoda..."Trust your ears young Stuart, trust your ears" (or something along those lines anyway :) )

Edited by orbscure
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.