notaclue

Wammers Album Club - 28th October - Noura Mint Seymali 'Tzenni'

Whadya think?  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is dire,

The music is OK but that voice!

It could strip paint, maybe it is just a frequency thing but it jarred so much it literately gave me a headache and I can't think when I last had one.

I won't be playing it again.

Thank God for Spotify, at least I didn't have to buy it.

:^ Me likeee

PURE MUSICAL ENERGY however lies with the Moroccans ...

SF056_zpsbf02029d.jpg

erm, notty?

I have a decent collection from the big blob that is africa, and given who you could have picked, this didn't add much to me except a new word in my vocab. I'm not as critical of her voice as some, she is doing what that kind of singer does, but my prob is with the rest, simply because it just wasn't special enough. I guess you have a HUGE collection of African music and maybe appreciate the nuances here, but for me in my untrained way, there ain't enough to make me want this in a collection. Reminds me a bit of how I felt when I brought Brenda Fassie...only ever played it once.

Nice however to add something different to the experience bank.

I was all set up to really enjoy and get into this and I tried but it got on me friggin' nerves and just wanted to tell her to stfu, sorry 1 *.

Super Wammer

She should have taken note of

:D

• Upvote 1

The first 45 seconds of track one were great, the anticipation was building :^......... then the vocals came in :shock:

The vocals are so forward in the mix and aggressive :sofa:

Track 8 - Tikifite is the only one I could return to.

An interesting choice :^

erm, notty?

I have a decent collection from the big blob that is africa, and given who you could have picked, this didn't add much to me except a new word in my vocab. I'm not as critical of her voice as some, she is doing what that kind of singer does, but my prob is with the rest, simply because it just wasn't special enough. I guess you have a HUGE collection of African music and maybe appreciate the nuances here, but for me in my untrained way, there ain't enough to make me want this in a collection. Reminds me a bit of how I felt when I brought Brenda Fassie...only ever played it once.

Nice however to add something different to the experience bank.

I have been listening to a lot of Malian and North African music recently. 'Tzenni' emerged as my favourite album.

Maybe Tamkirest would have been more a crowd pleaser? A more polished Tinariwen, three very good albums. Tamikrest – Toumast anlet

Also there's the remarkable 'pop' of Mali's Amadou & Mariam (early albums the best). 'Wati' is a melodic treat on a grand scale Amadou & Mariam – Ilbiwa

Super Wammer
I have been listening to a lot of Malian and North African music recently. 'Tzenni' emerged as my favourite album.

Maybe Tamkirest would have been more a crowd pleaser? A more polished Tinariwen, three very good albums. Tamikrest – Toumast anlet

Also there's the remarkable 'pop' of Mali's Amadou & Mariam (early albums the best). 'Wati' is a melodic treat on a grand scale Amadou & Mariam – Ilbiwa

I wouldn't worry about pleasing the crowd. I've got mine picked out already, and it's a stinker :D

Well, the first four bars were the best on the album, it reminded me of good old fashioned blues. I thought it was going to sound like an African version of Mississippi Hill Country Blues, with suggestions of RL Burnside or Junior Kimbrough. But it lost focus. Actually it lost any connection to "Western" music that I could connect with.

There were no Reggae influences that I could hear. To play that you think of the "3" on the drums. It was more a suggestion of the "1" on the bass.

I doubt I'll ever listen to it again. Two stars. I was tempted to go 1 star. The vocals are a bit histrionic for me, but maybe that's the style with this type of music.

Plenty of this sort of music is (a lot) more conventionally bluesy. It's a sort of trance-y blues. Samba Touré – Albala and Koudede – Taghlamt both very good examples.

Ali Farka Toure and Tinariwen are the most famous for desert blues. Much more accessible than Noura, for sure!

I enjoyed this album though I agree the mix/master isn't doing it any favours with regards to the vocals, so if I was a producer for these guys I'd sort out the mix, sack the bassist and hire this guy, then we'd be cooking.

[video=youtube;Xyet2_-HoVA]

Bass is mostly good, but can be a bit, sort of, lumpy on a couple of tracks, I felt.

Not perfect, but, overall, a thrillingly different and just plain thrilling album. Deffo best album this year so far.

A fun WAC and :^ to all the participants, even if it didn't meet the approval of the majority.

WAC-wise, I have learnt my lesson... Next time I'll pick some Mariem Hassan :D

[video=youtube;SiRziLKezJI]

Quite like that, though the vox are a bit too loud again!

As for the bass on Tzenni, I felt it was terrible on the first track, but got significantly better throughout.

Bill Laswell would have done a much better job on bass and production though...