JVS

Pie Poll

Nelsons or not?  

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am happy with the current deal, the vendors make it easy and that is a huge factor.

If you want an idea*, why not work with Jim (WW) to get an area set aside, and have a "massive pie-off" sometime during the show? Get a couple of every pie in the county, and have people about to come in, try 3 different ones, and rank them in order.

Could be a nice press idea, firms it up as "the pie show", and the cost could come from a number of sources - eaters (50p per piece), show tickets (unlikely, but could underwrite the cost for you) or it may be possible from sponsorship.

* I know that you probably don't, and this is probably not a great one! :)

I'm torn between wanting Jim to have an easy life, and wanting to sample some new pies.

Maybe Nelson's this time, but have a pie off somewhere during the show. If you do, PLEASE can one pie have some scrumptious non pc JELLY all round the meat.

:)

Super Wammer
Agreed on both counts, and thanks to Jim for taking it on again.

S

thirded :doh:

Nelsons are pretty good (certainly better than anything you'd find in a supermarket) but I've definitely had better pies. I do heartily approve of the amount of jelly in them, that's a real bones. Certainly up for looking at other options, but also agree that the logistical assistance that Nelsons provide is not to be sniffed at.

Thank you Jim for your efforts on our behalf.

I think anyone who has access to better pies is very lucky, as a soft southerner I think the pies are great and so do the 7 colleagues I work with who insist that I buy them a large pie to share on the Monday morning following the show

When the taste off happened a couple of years ago, wasn't there another baker (with a woman's name?) that was also well liked by the tasters? Can any of the E Midlands mafia recall which that was?

When the taste off happened a couple of years ago, wasn't there another baker (with a woman's name?) that was also well liked by the tasters? Can any of the E Midlands mafia recall which that was?

Are you thinking of Mrs King? We didn't actually try that one at Mark's pie-tasting bake. I bought one on-line a week or two before but decided it was too salty to include. The "need more seasoning" brigade would probably like it :)

Reminds me, I bought some beef skirt today for an attempt at a home made cornish pasty this weekend. I'll have to take pics.

Are you thinking of Mrs King? We didn't actually try that one at Mark's pie-tasting bake. I bought one on-line a week or two before but decided it was too salty to include. The "need more seasoning" brigade would probably like it :)

Nelsons need more pepper imo, but not more salt.

I like the Nelson's pies very much, but would be more than happy to try another for a year and see what the feedback is.

And Jim, again, your efforts here are seriously appreciated. For me, all the stress of the morning set up, morning rush, people complaining about things out of our control and general hassle is much improved when some kind soul take over on the door and I wander down to your room, buy my pie, wander back to the bar, buy a pint and find a quiet corner for 20 blissful minutes of Mustard-Pie-Ale-Face interface action.

Reminds me, I bought some beef skirt today for an attempt at a home made cornish pasty this weekend. I'll have to take pics.

I like a bit of skirt :love:

Perhaps we need a Cornish show. The HiFi Pastie.

PERHAPS! We need people from around ther country to bring a selection of their local delicacies for the Saturday evening! Pasties from Cornwall, Cream Teas from Devon, Ploughman's lunches from Kent and Sussex, Curries from Bradford, Cheeses from around the UK, Haggis from the Scott's , Hot Pot from Lancashire, Scouse from Liverpool, Balti from Brum... you get the idea.. And I will judge and decide which part of the UK is best. :^