mmar

Wammers Album Club... Tues 21 st Oct - jayhawks " rainy day music "

Wammer album club... Tues 21st October

Jayhawks " rainy day music "

Thought this would be easy but turned out to be very difficult trying to pick something that offered some type of broad appeal

But as americana / alt country is the main stray of my listerning it seemed only right my first wac album was from this gendre

Jayhawks. have been around since the late 80s mark ollis and Gary Louris the origanal founders of the band, ollis left the band prior to rainy day music, special guest /musicians on the album include ethan john's on guitar and drums, Richard couson on piano, bernie leadon on banjo

And Jackob Dylan on backing vocals

Producer ethan john's described the Jayhawks song structures as American in roots but with firm British melodic influences

Coulnt agree more influences heard on rainy day include the kinks, bryds, Beatles a touch of gram parsons to the beach boys, A mixed bag but for me it works wonderfully

Rainy day music offers up sparce pop ballads dealing with love, loss and being lost, mixed this with the album title and you would be forgiven if you thought the album was of a dower nature

Nothing could be further from the truth, i found its foottapping sing along tracks addictive so much so I played this album to death when I got it back in 2003 and it still gets regulary played today

Shit my wife loathes most of my music but she loves this album as do my kids who as good as grew up listerning to this

Don't have an absolute fave track the album as a whole is a guilty pleasure type thing but " all the right reasons " for me is one of the stand out track's again harking back to classic byrds romantic pop ballad type harmonies

Using the words pop and ballad probably won't go down well with some in the camp but there you have my first wac choice

Noticed the spotify version has an extended play list to the origanal album, haven't listened to these tracks myself but believe they are live versions of the studio tracks

Eek!

After a very brief scan during which I could feel the bile rising, I felt I had to contact the B Team (i.e. Bootsy, Bernie, Buckethead, Brain and Bill) with instructions to go to whichever dank corner of the Good 'Ol USofA these fuckers come from, tie 'em up and fart in their faces until they all agree that that's how wet this is and to never do it again.

However, in the spirit of the WAC I felt I should attempt another go - not quite yet as I'm still feeling a bit queasy but perhaps over the weekend.

The B Team are stood down until then...

So you think it could be a grower then :-)

Changed my mind completely.

I've bought this album, and all their others as well.

Not only that but I've changed my name to Bernard John Couson-Louris and I've emailed the band asking for used pants and a sperm sample so I can have their babies.

They're fookin' HOT!!!!

Jphotog5.JPG

Guest MJ.

God, this has to be THE most tedious, safe, middle of the road album I have ever heard.

Welcome to album club Mick :D

I have Hollywood Town Hall and Smile, though haven't listened for a while. Americana but with good pop melodies, as I recall. Haven't heard this.

PS For Smalls next week, I think I'll pick some Foster and Allen. ;-)

Super Wammer

Well, I have to say I really like this. I don't think I'd heard of these before, any recommendations for some of their other stuff? I thought that some of the vocal harmonies were fab. On this point, I actually thought there were shades of Crowded House, which is a good thing :) I thought most of the tunes stood up well, but for me the stand-out tune was 'Don't Let The World Get In Your Way', closely followed by 'Save It For A Rainy Day' and 'Tampa To Tulsa'. A great tonic to too much 'serious' music, just something to sing along to. For me, the best WAC choice so far, and it will get quite a bit of playing here. Nice one Mick :^

EDIT : Just ordered a copy

I've had another listen...

And the B Team have loaded up on mushy peas and vinegar (my mate Swamp's recommendation for gaseous volume and stench), and are on their way Chez Jayhawks so that no-one will be subjected to this sort of wetness again.

Might send them off to see Crowded House as well.