skrambles

Wammers Album Club Tues 7th Oct , Bob Dylan - Infidels

Dylan's Infidels: What d'ye reckon?  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As legends go, Sly'n'Robbie are right up there... I almost chose "Rhythm Killers" as my last WAC choice.

But whether they've just whored themselves and been tainted by Dylan remains to be seen.

I'll steel myself to give it a listen; but before I do, does Boob "play" the harmonica at any point?

Mostly a harmonica free zone. But he does get it out now and again.

Dylan is a hugely important figure in music, but I could count on one hand the number of Dylan albums I have actually listened to all the way through and enjoyed.

Mostly a harmonica free zone. But he does get it out now and again.

:nerves:

Yeah well like Cohen and Jackson Browne, he's primarily a lyricist, so the stories are more stories than songs. If what he sings about doesn't touch your life, or spark your interest in any way, then there's not much left to like after the legen faded. The legend is all about his massive influence on American culture through the sixties and early seventies. Then ofc, the words were hard hitting, controversial and relevant. Now? Old men still have a voice, but for whom?

Musically I'm not sure that the slickmeister that is Knopfler really suits the voice or the words, and that's why in my house, this remained dusty and unloved until yesterday. I like his very latest two albums and love all the early work. Nice to hear it again, but it's now back on the shelf.

Well, what is there to say ? It's Dylan innit. Mostly tediocre. I liked Jokerman and I & I but the rest sounds like everything else he has ever done. Yes, he's primarily a writer of words but the music has to stand up. This is so dull it's on life support. Somebody should call a priest.

It's only redeeming feature is it's only 42 minutes long. On the downside, subtracting the above tracks, that's 31 minutes I'll not get back.

As the Poll says "not a total disaster, but...".

The whole Dire Staits thing just doesn't work with Dylan at all. I enjoyed Jokerman and I and I and couldn't understand why Blind Willie McTell had been left off but the rest is pretty mediocre I am afraid.

Update: I've just ordered Desire, so something positive has unexpectedly come out of the experience!

Simon - I've never heard this before but am so enjoying it - what utterly infectious grooves and it's not often I say this but I'm enjoying old Zimmer's howl!!!! Need a vinyl copy:^

I gave this 2/5 but really enjoyed ploughing my way through this in an oh-my-god-how-did-this-happen/what-were-they-thinking kind of way. Like watching a train wreck really, fascinating but horrific.

I think the production is appalling, and has not withstood the test of time whatsoever. It sounds dated, sanitized, soulless and above all utterly bland. But despite this there are sublime lyrical moments which redeem it from being complete tosh. Personally, I like Dylan when it all sounds rough and ready and under-rehearsed , almost like it was recorded in a shed as an afterthought.

Maybe my views are coloured by my deep-seated and unashamed dislike for anything Knopfler is associated with. The man with the anti-Midas touch as it were. On the other hand, listening to this has led me to listen to a lot more Dylan this week, which is a really good thing.

My thanks to skrambles/Simon for choosing this.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

I've always wanted to like Dylan, but no matter how hard I try, it ain't happening. I've no doubt he's a genius and all that, but I've always found the musical side a bit...boring. I didn't mind a couple of the slower ones, but totally switched off with the more upbeat tunes, which sounded like a group of musicians getting together and playing something for the sake of it. Having said that, it didn't grate, so a 2 from me.

He's 40ish/rampant/fistful kids/Lennon murder scares him/his film maker does suicide after Dylan drops him/Jewish dad dead/looks to Jesus and finds mission/loses some fans/makes first music video/ Jokerman and I and I stay on this album (thankfully).

Judaism returns/old songs return to the tour (thankfully).

knopfler with Taylor (from Stones)/Sly and Shakespeare make a good sound decently listenable Dylan's voice is a bit remote ( which is probably a good thing) He does his usual very wordy and allegorical meaningful mildly missionary stuff - true fans swoon- others feel puzzled as to why he is THE legend.

I had experience of his prescence in Sheffield. It was shockingly poor. But I was in his space with a massively formative influence on my teenage- rubbish singer/ strummer/crazy dresser/hopeless life role model/off planet poet/ incomprehensible man/I luv him!

Love it.

Sums it for me.

Brilliant writer, great poet, fantastic guy.

FUCKING SHIT MUSICIAN.

All the best musical tracks (lay lady lay comes to mind) weren't solely his.

The world would be poorer without his work as a writer, but IMHO would be better off without his work as a musician. Plus a hell of a lot of his stuff has the most appalling production and mastering I have ever heard. Some of the early vinyl is near unlistenable.

I don't buy the hype around Dylan, but his influence is undeniable.

Still an arsehole though.

Super Wammer
Love it.

Sums it for me.

FUCKING SHIT MUSICIAN.

The world would be poorer without his work as a writer, but IMHO would be better off without his work as a musician. Plus a hell of a lot of his stuff has the most appalling production and mastering I have ever heard. Some of the early vinyl is near unlistenable.

:rofl:

This album is irritating in the extreme.

I am a Dylan fan and have a lot of his albums (24, I just counted :shock:) and this is not the worst of them by any means.

Unfortunately I have this on vinyl which is why it doesn't get played very often. If I had it on CD it would get played a lot more, well half of it would, I would skip through a lot of it.

How the excellent Blind Willy McTell could be left off the album while the dross that is Neighbourhood Bully could be left on is beyond me.

Even with the stronger tracks the 80s production really grates, so does Knopfler, he has no business on this album.

I will give it a low 3 out of 5 wherever that sits on the chart above and be thankful that the OP didn't pick 'Knocked Out, Loaded' or 'Saved' which are truly dire.

Love it.

Sums it for me.

FUCKING SHIT MUSICIAN.

This. So much this ^^^