browellm

Digital or vinyl for classical?

Digital or vinyl for classical music?  

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My dad is over for Christmas (he was a sub prof at Royal Academy) and still plays a shed load of concerts. He has no interest in hifi just music. I will play him some stuff and see what he says - will be interesting.

My dad is over for Christmas (he was a sub prof at Royal Academy) and still plays a shed load of concerts. He has no interest in hifi just music. I will play him some stuff and see what he says - will be interesting.

Have fun. I miss having my Dad around to share things like that with him. :(

:^

We should decide for ourselves ... I record-archive X 3 WAV of my analogue-vinyl-tape/usually play digital commercial or my CDr versions ... Analogue was-is - at best - often best, but ...

And we usually add to our fave analogue vinyls with identical or similar commercial CDs/play those, unless we really notice something joyous 'missing' ....

Don't know? Am playing this on vinyl and I doubt anything could be more sublime!4e403b21f60539c2597030f7a658e4b0.jpg

Don't know? Am playing this on vinyl and I doubt anything could be more sublime!4e403b21f60539c2597030f7a658e4b0.jpg

Yes, I have a particularly beautiful copy of that later Bohm record also. A very fine recording. I do love the earlier DGG Berlin Bohm Mozarts though.

I know I said this before but wanted to resurrect the comment again - I hear much more accurate timbre on vinyl than digital. This is with respect to any orchestral instrument. Anyone else notice this? Strings on my vinyl are to die for. Digital strings = meh.

I agree it stills seems a lot of even modern digital disks have a total lack of grunt in string sounds not sure why this should be , I mean I h ave brought about 20 cds overthelast year and most seem to lacka real sound for a lot of the time , even before dodgy recording comes along with his pal compression and phase issues . Keep it simple please .

seems even worse for jazz releases , the brums often sound horrible ,. I like the radio .

Does anyone actually know scientifically just what is missing? Timbre is a lot to do with the harmonic reverbs . Is it that digital cuts them short ie is more accurate . My ears do seem to like a bit of certain sorts of inaccuracies.

On vinyl find myself concentrating on sorting out the message from the noise( surface etc) rather like in concert when one cuts out the audience noises and at the end of both performances u find u have loved the event as if in spite of the struggle with distractions.

psychology not material science.