bmtell

Cycling for fat bastards

Shimano sandals, perhaps with socks to annoy the Wam's fashion police :whistle:.

spend half an hour on your turbo thingie unclipping your cleat, then when you out on the roads doing it for real your foot should know what to do without you thinking about it. If your foot is a slow learner than some of that bulk should cushion your fall ;-)

Will have a shuftie at the Strava. Seems to be all the rage at the mo'.

I use it to keep track of my training and it is good to get a bit of feedback on your training / routes etc - much better than the shitty Garmin site now they've "updated" it. I think there's plenty of Strava eejits who live to for the segments etc but I can't be arsed with all that bollocks.

I have been practicing with my shiny shoes. Unclipping doesn't seem too difficult on the turbo. Gonna try it outdoors tomorrow. have managed not to have broken any bones in 46 years. Will see how long that lasts>

Pfft, pussy, I just threw mine on and went straight out for a ride.

I'm not actually sure how folks manage to fall over whilst clipped in, if it's an emergency you can just pull your foot out at any angle if you do it hard enough, regardless of the need for twisting for normal unclipping.

You really shouldn't be able to 'just pull your foot out at any angle...'

I think people fall sometimes because they are taken by surprise that their foot won't come off the pedal and by the time they've remembered why it's too late. For the first few days you just need to actively remember, it soon becomes routine, and the benefits are substantial.

Paul

Well I didn't fall off. Didn't actually cycle very far. Felt a bit short on energy today. Will do better tomorrow. Got a 20 mile route planned with some gentle hills.

Maybe I need to work on cleat positioning and buckle tightness on my shoes. The bottom of my feet went a bit numb after a while today. I am not sure if I have noticed the benefits of clipless yet, but I will persevere. The shoes do look cool and are very shiny.

Mark im not trying to tell you how to ride a bike , but the benefit will be , if you pedal in circles instead of just downward pressure,

the cleat system enables you to pull up on the upstroke, hope you get the drift ... regarding un clipping , just pre emt, unclip earlier until you

get used to them.... junctions/ crossroads trying to do trackstands is where you can come unstuck,

enjoy.

Mark im not trying to tell you how to ride a bike , but the benefit will be , if you pedal in circles instead of just downward pressure,

the cleat system enables you to pull up on the upstroke, hope you get the drift ... regarding un clipping , just pre emt, unclip earlier until you

get used to them.... junctions/ crossroads trying to do trackstands is where you can come unstuck,

enjoy.

Tell me as much as you want Keith. I do need to improve my cycling technique a bit. Well probably a lot. I think I am doing alright at unclipping in plenty of time. Getting my foot clipped in as I start off needs a bit more practice.

Will practice the pedaling in circles a bit. My normal technique has been to 'stomp' on the pedals.

Super Wammer

I guess I was a 'stomper'. I knew the best method was to pull and push, but found it hard work. For best results, I know it works, but always found it hard to master. Mind you, it didn't stop me recording some half-decent times.

Oh yeah, the cycling comp is a very useful tool, it helped me a lot.

Just dont look down when you try and clip back in.... feel for the pedal/cleat.....trust me on the circle bit

look at other more expeirenced riders they just seem to flow with their pedalling style....... all to do with circles.

no stomping.......... more fitness and it will come.

Keep you cadence high Mark and flex your ankles. Use and spin the lower gears - an ideal cadence should be 90 rpm so quicker than you think but if you familiarise yourself with that and 'feel' it you'll take a lot of things in your stride as you start to improve.

EDIT - yes, fluid circles.

I agree Steve - I feel more comfortable spinning than pushing bigger gears.

Tbh Mark just go out and enjoy your cycling it's fuckin' brilliant and before you know it you'll be rattling along at a jaunty pace. You'll be amazed how much your fitness will have increases after a couple of months - if you can, try and cycle as much as possible through the winter it makes an amazing difference come Spring.

Don't over do it tho' it's very easy to get carried away and really tire yourself out - I fell into that trap when I started road cycling properly two years ago and couldn't believe how tired I was all the time.

Super Wammer

Mark, out of interest, do you have any goals? Is it for general fitness? To lose weight? For massive pumping thighs? All of these?

Mark, out of interest, do you have any goals? Is it for general fitness? To lose weight? For massive pumping thighs? All of these?

Apart from improving fitness a bit my first goal is to join a club and be able to keep up with them. That is hopefully for the spring.

Super Wammer

Mark, don't fart about waiting for spring :) Join the CTC. They're a friendly bunch, and there's a good range of rides available for all abilities :^